Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started in Archery..Seem like no one here wants to help at Local Sporting store unless Your going to buy 1000.00 worth..try to call dick's they don't takes calls..Call other sport shop they Don't sale Recurve Bows..Call Mark's outdoor said need to come in for information. Told them I live bout 35 miles away UNLESS I know I'm not going to drive 70 miles just to see..Sometimes I don't see how these places stay in business ??馃槩..If your near Hoover,Al all these around hwy 31...Now I see how New people get out of a hobby...馃槪

Registered
Archery is a pain in the butt. It's like that everywhere. Even if you find someone helpful at the local retail outlet, his knowledge is questionable.

I'm lucky to have a good dedicated shop here, with an indoor range.

Good luck.

Premium Member
I was in the Academy store here yesterday along with a friend that was looking for archery stuff. Their selection of bows of any description was almost nonexistent.
Of course their ammo was similarly nonexistent...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was in the Academy store here yesterday along with a friend that was looking for archery stuff. Their selection of bows of any description was almost nonexistent.
Of course their ammo was similarly nonexistent...
About 4or5 weeks ago I call Academy and ask if they had a lot of recurve bow they said sure..Drove all the way out there

and they only had a few bows for 8 year olds..I wasn't happy..It a shame you have to buy online and not able to buy local.....

Since 03-15- 2002
I鈥檓 thinking it鈥檚 possibly regional. You can鈥檛 swing a wet rope around here without hitting a good shop. I think the main driver is a very productive deer management system. Wish I could run one like I used to. My old buddy Arthur Ritis makes it not too much fun.

Premium Member
Indeed, jerry, Arthur is a punk.

Went Sportsman鈥檚 last night to grab some crossbow stuff. They had a 鈥榮election鈥 of bows and crossbows, but nothing like last year. More Ravens than anything.

On the plus side- points, accessories, arrows, bolts, etc. were pretty well stocked. Targets, too.

Registered
Just started in Archery..Seem like no one here wants to help at Local Sporting store unless Your going to buy 1000.00 worth..try to call dick's they don't takes calls..Call other sport shop they Don't sale Recurve Bows..Call Mark's outdoor said need to come in for information. Told them I live bout 35 miles away UNLESS I know I'm not going to drive 70 miles just to see..Sometimes I don't see how these places stay in business ??馃槩..If your near Hoover,Al all these around hwy 31...Now I see how New people get out of a hobby...馃槪

If you're just getting into archery, I might suggest going to a local club or shoot and meeting some of the shooters / members. They will be able to give you some good advice on starting out, and the inside line on the local archery shops.

When I first started, that's how I found my first bow (used) and where the good shops were and where to stay away from. They were also friendly enough to give me some good tips to help improve my skills. There were even a few guys who gave me some equipment to try. I had grown up in the area, and never knew there were several national champion shooters living in the area. They ran a shop outside their home, and probably were the biggest influence on my shooting 40 years ago when I started.

I live close to 60 miles from any of the big box sporting goods stores, but lucky to live in a rural area where it seems everyone likes to hunt. There is probably four mom & pop bow shops within 10-15 miles from my house, and at least two of them know what they're doing. The real problem with the mom & pop shops are their hours, and you really never know when they are going to be open. The only indoor shooting is in someone's old corn crib, since the local indoor "Amish pole barn" shop closed it's doors.

I parted ways with my compound bow after my shoulder rebuild, and have a crossbow that will occasionally see a little use. (I feel like I'm cheating with a crossbow)
I still have my old recurve bow that I started out with as a kid, and won't part ways with it.
With the popularity of crossbows increasing, the local shops have started to improve their skills with repair and tuning of them too.

Registered
Archery is a pain in the butt. It's like that everywhere. Even if you find someone helpful at the local retail outlet, his knowledge is questionable.

I'm lucky to have a good dedicated shop here, with an indoor range.

Good luck.
yeahhh.. i agree

Reactions: ChaZam

Registered
If you are just starting out and need a recommendation, take a look at the Samick Sage Recurve. Solid inexpensive way to start.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts