Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing a lot of decent looking Garands at gun shows now in the $650-$750 range. So for anyone who is knowledgeable, what are the key things to look for when buying your first?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
TE, ME, USGI receiver and parts, no re-welds, headspace, fit and finish.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I'm actually interested in this answer, as I've been considering an M1A/M14 due to having issues with my CETME that are slowly resolving, but taking quite a while to deal with and I really don't have the time I need to fix them, what with working towards my chemistry degree at the U of Wash. The problem is, all of the ones on gunbroker are $1000+, usually $1200+ and I'm not willing to pay that.

I am a member of Washington Arms Collectors, who put on the two main shows here in WA many times, year-round, but haven't really looked there yet as I just joined this last December.
:drive:

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So how would I check this stuff at a show? Like the throat erosion. The re-welds I take it just check a few spots on the rifle, fit and finish is a given. Whats ME?

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
They make a tool for checking thorat erosion.

You can also us a 30-06 sell to kinda get an idea...but you usually just leave that for experts.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
So how would I check this stuff at a show? Like the throat erosion. The re-welds I take it just check a few spots on the rifle, fit and finish is a given. Whats ME?

You can use a military bullet to check the muzzle errosion (ME) or you can buy a tool. Stoneaxe engineering makes a combo gage (ME and TE) for about $49. I carry one to every show.

Figuring out a welded receiver can be harder. Take the stock off. Look at the channel that the op rod runs in. If you see any weird spots in the milling marks, start looking closer.

You best bang for the buck is still CMP. For the $1000 you have saved, you can get a pretty perfect rifle . . . or two or three real nice ones.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I've seen people just stick a .30-06 round bullet first down the barrel and see how much of the bullet goes in. Don't know how easy that would be to do there though. So whats the difference between muzzle erosion and throat erosion?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Uh, they are at different ends of the barrel.

Seriously, ME comes from improper or aggressive cleaning. TE come from shooting. The more rounds you fire, the more the throat wears.

Not every .30/06 bullet should be used to test the ME. Never use a live round. In fact, don't even take one with you. That only makes for potential tragedy. You don't use the bullet to test TE.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
CMP is a great place to get a garand, but I doubt you will be able to get one without staying on top of the site.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Muzzle wear is much more important than throat erosion. You can use a military 30.06 to get a rough idea of MW. Don't use a commercial round, actually I woudn't even try to use a live round at a gun show. It would be best to buy from CMP. If you would rather pay higer prices at a gun show than go through CMP get someone who is knowledgeable in Garands to go with you or buy from a reputable dealer. Good luck

·
Registered
321 Posts
It is a very good idea to get you a stoneaxe guage. And for a $1000 dollars, a Woodless Dane, Wenig stock, and a rebarrel, well under that. And a good solid shooter.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Hey 7mmag6, I'd love to check it out, but unless Gyrene has some stashed away, I don't think that's an option, as their website says they're out of stock and not accepting orders: Service Grade M1 Garand Rifle Sales Program
I talked with em a few days ago asking about a service grade...they said the service grades are ALL GONE...and they do not expect to get anymore in EVER AGAIN.
Rack (poor) and field (good but no competition...and going fast too!) are all that are left...and when they are gone...that will be it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts