close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

C.b. Radios

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by NRAJOE, Jul 2, 2002.

1. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Everyone knows a hunter/fisherman or survialist ain't a man without a C.B. or a ham radio in his/her truck/suv/car. Whatta ya got and do you run any power..I.E. amps or kickers. What do you consider the best brand?I Put a Uniden Grant XL am/upper/lower sideband radio in the brown bomb today with a K40 antenna with a magnet mount base.

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Uniden in the truck and work van. I like the weather band on the one in the truck. nuthi'n fancy. they just work well. Oh, my old Cobra resides in the shed.

3. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Roadmaster 40 channel CB

Tried out my 40 channel Roadmaster CB again about a month ago after having it on the shelf for 7-8 years. Got nothing but lots of offensive noise, probably from people using hi-wattage linears.

After about 10 minutes I'd had enough of the static to put it back on the shelf again. In the older days nearly everyone had a CB and I found them somewhat useful, if not entertaining, especially if I was driving by myself.

I recently bought a couple of professional quality two way radios to keep with me when I'm running around the neighborhood. They've got a range of up to 5 miles, which usually is just right for my purposes.

Oxford:nod:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2002
  4. An older Pace 23 channel here......but it'll kick butt on the 'newer' 40 channel radios anyday.....fer sure.

5. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Cobra 148 GTL in my suv,peaked and tweaked. Base is a Cobra 142. Shoot skip all over the Country.

6. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Oxford's right about the old Citizen's band. That part of the spectrum is trashed. I can't get away from the linear amp junk that bleeds over 3 or 4 channels and makes using a 4 watt dash mount about worthless. Besides, narrow band AM is not nearly as clear as FM.

I have a general radio telephone license from the FCC. I used to be in the radio service business and at one time I had my own shop. Now I'm in construction, cuz cellular and surface mount technology/ICs made bench techs nearly obsolete. On board diagnostics and board swap meant that there is very little field component troubleshooting and repair left. If a unit fails, another one is programmed up and stuffed in its place, while the bad one just gets shipped back to the factory.

FMRS is definitely the way to go. It's strictly line of sight, and the power limitations are less. You can run a portable at 110 watts. You can't run repeaters is all, so your effective range, regardless of power, is no greater than 20 miles or so. No license means that you don't have to deal with the govt.

I used to be a ham, but I let that fall by the wayside. I guess you should never try to make your hobby into a career. I got sick of radio work and lost interest in it. I also didn't like spending money on a radio that I coulda spent on my guns. A man's gotta have his priorities.

7. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

My grandpa's call # starts with a W4... he has been a ham since WW2. He was a radioman 1st class in the Navy during WW2.

Jesse

8. FireStar

FireStar G&G Newbie

Sure does bring back memories... (LOL) I started out C.B.'n way back in the early 60's when it first came out. Call letters were KID-0598 and started out with a Gonset one eyed monster. Later went to a Johnson Messenger and Layfette HE-20c, as well as a Poly Com 4.

At that time it was 24 channels and you just begged to find someone on the air. Also was into HAM radio (call letters started out with K2) in the old Technical class.

Haven't touched either one for many a year now. Too busy into firearms. Ahhhhh... such memories.

9. NRAJOE

Firestar,I had one of the old Helicrafter metal cased base stations with the removable freqency crystals. You took the case off and plugged in whatever 6 channels you wanted to talk on. Had the crystals for all 19 channels...thought I was pretty cool don't cha know!

10. NRAJOE

Had to put 20 bucks ito the Uniden today. Would only transmit when it felt like it. Only paid $50 for it (used) now got $70 in it. Had a bad connection and a bad diode. Was all set to spend $150 on a Cobra 148 at another cb shop. Got there at 8:45 am, they were supposed to open at 9am. Still waiting at 9:20 am so I went to this little shop and fixed the old one. If you can't open when your supposed to you don't need my business evidently. Seen a radio at the small shop called a Ranger. Don't remember the model but it has a built in kicker...50 watts on am...150 watts on sideband. It also has fm channels in it which I believe was 25 watts. But it cost $478.00. Gotta save for that puppy!