Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cornell College Republicans have joined the approximately 12,000 students nationwide who are part of a grassroots effort that is advocating for carry license holders to be able to carry on campuses.

More...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
great I hope this gains more momentum. I do hope that these young people take their responsibilty serious if and when this does pass,before I catch any heat for that statement. I know there are a lot of responsible young people out there especialy those who have served their country and are now getting a college degree.I think its great!!!

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I hope their grassroots movement sweeps America.Trained, licensed and armed citizens make America a safer place for all law abiding citizens.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,392 Posts
The trouble is, the Cornell article's responses are 2 to 1 against

The article itself indicates that at least the Cornell Republican Club understands the concept of the gun-free zone as an all-you-can-shoot buffet for the deranged. However, the responses to that article from the students are running about 2 to 1 against the idea of student concealed carry. Most of the naysayers seem to think the students in favor of concealed carry want to emulate Captain Cordell Walker of the TV show Walker, Texas Ranger. You know, the strong, silent type who wades into a situation and breaks it up, killing if he has to?

Of course, it never occurred to those antis that Walker goes out of his way to bring 'em in alive; and that while he will shoot to kill if he has to, he tries to avoid getting into such situations. And of course it hasn't occurred to the antis that the students who are thinking about CCW know perfectly well that there is a huge difference between a TV show and reality.

The pro-gunners also point out that it isn't all that easy to obtain a CCW permit in New York State. Among other requirements, you have to be over 21 years of age. Most 21 year old students are juniors or seniors and thinking about graduating and starting a career, not about protecting the campus and themselves from crackpots. In all likelihood, there would not be all that many students carrying concealed at any given time.

But the simple act of declaring that it is okay for students with CCW permits to carry concealed on campus, and putting this word out, would go a long way to deter the loonies and make the campus safer. The crazies would have no way of knowing who might be armed when they came on campus to go out in a blaze of gory. It would cause them to look elsewhere for a site for their apotheosis or suicide by cop. Why should even the bleeding-heart liberals of the Ivy League have a problem with that?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
great I hope this gains more momentum. I do hope that these young people take their responsibility serious if and when this does pass,before I catch any heat for that statement. I know there are a lot of responsible young people out there especially those who have served their country and are now getting a college degree.I think its great!!!
Let's hope even more the DC decision goes in favor of the 2nd Amendment so it doesn't make any and all meaningless and that if and when it does go the way of the 2nd Amendment, and that it becomes like a spring board for other issues to get resolved and or eliminated in favor of the 2nd Amendment.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
tried in TN and it failed at the university level
I think all it will take is one or two to go the way of self defense and the right to protect ones self and slowly more and more will decide to follow suit. As long as the students themselves keep pushing for it and do it the right way and continue to be smart about it and the way they go about it, they just might get it done for themselves.

And not that I'd like it to happen, not at all, but if yet another sicko decides to commit a cowardly act as in the past, I'd hope this time they get dropped by someone with a CCW on a campus or elsewhere in a state that recently just voted it into law that they can carry there. That more then anything else, I would think would have to make them all take 2nd, 3rd and even 4th looks into doing the same. Once someone prevents something from happening and they see it can actually help prevent them.

But about the same time that were to happen, one of those, how shall I put this, self righteous, self appointed groups would put their 2 bits in where it isn't wanted and claim foul. You all know who I mean. lol

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
GlockMeister, we already have it written into our state constitution under Article 1 Section 24:

RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.
-WA State Constitution

It's very clear that we have the individual right to bear arms in defense or ourselves. And yet, we still have issues with getting legislation passed to allow law-abiding, responsible adults with CPL's to carry concealed on campus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts