C96's get no love?

Discussion in 'Mausers' started by big shrek, Aug 26, 2010.

1. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

I'm curious why I rarely see threads anywhere on C96's, except when someone catches a great deal somewhere...

nobody ever seems to SHOOT them...even the Chinese reproductions...

Seems like a nifty enough pistol...I'm actually surprised nobody makes them now.

Or are they as labour-intensive as Lugers to make?

2. If they were manufactured today I would think they would be over 3k as a starting cost. The C96 was one screw, the grip panel screw. All other parts fit together like a puzzle and have very tight tolerances.

I shoot mine on occasions. You need to be sure and get the correct ammo for it. A lot of the 7.62X25 on the market is to hot for the Broom Handle and can damage or break the bolt stop.

War time commercial C96.
    [​IMG]

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

its one of the gotta get handguns on my list, just haven't been able to accumulate the coin.

the 7.62X25 Tok cartridge was inspired by the 7.65 Parabellum, while they may interchange physically the Tok is definitly to hot. wouldn't use it in a 7.65 Luger either.

4. Capt.Hotpants

Capt.Hotpants G&G Regular

I would love to get one but i would prefer one of the red nines in 9mm luger. Easier to find ammo. I seen a few at a gun show for 500... but i didnt have 500 so it was a no go.

extremely cool guns.

5. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    The C96's get my love, but them getting my money is a different thing. Would LOVE to have a functioning one, but, the money isn't there.

6. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

Shot one in 9mm it's got a long hammer travel, took some getting use to, but was pretty accurate. A fun gun to shoot once you got accustom to the '' locktime". PS THE STOCK/HOLSTER sure makes it shine at longer ranges.

7. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Putting the rear stock on it makes all the difference!

8. frenchy

frenchy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Same with me big shrek, wanted one since birth lol but never had the cash.
    frenchy

9. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

So basically, we need to make a wetback firearms MFR to make things nobody else wants to at a reasonable cost? ;)

10. Mosin_Mike

Mosin_Mike G&G Addict

That might work but as soon as it hits the states the price will be jack up. Just like the $10,000 Luger .45 made last year. I think these would be more expensive then those. I would like a smaller one in .380 since we are dreaming! LOL They are beautiful I would trade my girlfriend for one!

11. franchi

franchi Guest

a collector friend of mine teases me with a FEW of his! he has 4 i think, all with the stock, all in mint condition. i almost started drooling when he opened up the box to show me his Red9. I would love to have one, even if it was a repop that was a shooter.

12. Krag 30-40

Krag 30-40 Guest

I have wanted a Broomhandle ever since sitting in the theater in 1962 watching Lawrence of Arabia.Last year I got one.I've known about one locally for 20 years,WW1 bring back with the stock.The old gentleman who owned it passed away about 3 years ago and the gun never surfaced so I thought some of the local shysters had fleeced his wife out of his guns.Last year one of the local shops called me up and said they might have something I was interested in.Boy was I.

Hard to mistake that particular C96.It was a 1916 Prussian contract in 7.63 instead of 9mm and was unit marked to a MG unit.Plus the stock had an arsenal repair to it.I asked the guy if that was Frank------'s gun.He said yes.I said how much.Weeelllllll,it was a budget buster for me and I had to take the money out of the IRA account to buy it,BUT,I finally got something I had wanted for about 50 years.I kinda decided at my age and health this was probably my last chance to get one,so I did.

13. frenchy

frenchy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Good for you JimBob that's ah long wait and now the guns story can stay with it :35:! I'll bet Frank would like that. Oh and I'm envious :D
    frenchy

14. H&R12G

H&R12G G&G Newbie

I love them! They're neat looking. I just can't buy one, I'm not 21. Plus, as much as I would love to have one when I get to that age I don't see a practical use for one. I mean, That would be a hard firearm to CC or OC. And why spend the money for one for home defense when I could get something smaller and cheaper. I mean, when I get of age and the money, I will get one. But, I couldn't see using it more than something to plink at the range. I know there are a few manufacturers that made them. I don't know what one has the best reviews though.

15. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My Dad told me 20 years ago: "...with your taste in firearms, I don't know why you haven't considered adding a broom handled Mauser"

I wish I'd have listened!

16. Sarge

Sarge G&G Enthusiast

My first Broom was a Bolo. Bought it on the way to a gun show, took it down to the lake and shot it 4 or 5 times - all the ammo I had - and sold/traded it at the gun show.
    I think I've got 4 now - a 96, 2 30s & a Fed Ord copy of the Schnell Feuer in semi/detachable 10 & 20 rd mags.
    I've never shot any of them and yes I do have some ammo. Just never seem to get them dug out of the safe when I'm heading out to shoot.
    Here is a photo of my stocked pistols - the one in the middle is an Inglis HP.
    Sarge

Attached Files: