close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

California gun owners have successfully derailed an outrageous attempt to tax

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

U.S. Newswire
    8 Aug 15:30

To: Metro Desk
    Contact: Alan Gottlieb of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms,
    425-454-4911
    A blinding ray of hope for those traped behind the tofu curtain of the PRK....

BELLEVUE, Wash., Aug. 8 /U.S. Newswire/ -- In a successful effort largely guided by the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA), California gun owners have successfully derailed an outrageous attempt to tax every bullet and cartridge sold in the Golden State.

A measure that would have placed the proposed tax on November's ballot as a constitutional amendment was stopped in committee Wednesday night in Sacramento.

"We're delighted that the measure died in committee," CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb said. "This proposal, sponsored by Sen. Don Perata, was a vicious assault on gun owners, and would have amounted to a tax on a constitutional right."

Perata, an anti-gun Oakland Democrat, was not able to muster the necessary support for his legislation, which had cleared one Senate committee but was stalled in another. The effort failed largely because outraged gun owners put pressure on their representatives. CCRKBA sent letters to 300,000 California gun owners in a grassroots campaign to stop Perata's bullet tax amendment, and that effort paid off, Gottlieb stated.

"Golden State gun owners stopped a bad idea from becoming bad law," Gottlieb observed. "Don Perata thinks owning a gun is a sin, when it is actually a civil right. He wanted to punish gun owners by taxing them to pay the medical costs of gang-bangers. That's not only wrong, it is wrong-headed."

Sen. Perata, working on behalf of Handgun Control, Inc., which now calls itself the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, is also pushing legislation that would open the floodgates for groundless litigation against gun makers.

"Perata also wants to remove legal barriers that protect firearms manufacturers and retailers from frivolous lawsuits," Gottlieb added. "These lawsuits, which have been consistently losing in the courts, are nothing more than harassment against legitimate businesses. We can't allow Perata's social bigotry against guns and gun owners to be legitimized by legislation."
    ----------

With more than 650,000 members and supporters nationwide, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is one of the nation's premier gun rights organizations. As a non-profit organization, the Citizens Committee is dedicated to preserving firearms freedoms through active lobbying of elected officials and facilitating grass-roots organization of gun rights activists in local communities throughout the United States.
    Tax free->>>> :assult:

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Thank GOD for now! I'm gonna have to become a life member of CCRKBA also. They seem to really get on the stick and not play around. How does CCRKBAJOE SOUND!?

3. johno

johno G&G Newbie

as a former resident of the prk i am glad to hear that there are still people there with sense.

4. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

Right on! This bullet tax really hit a sore spot w/ me. Email, faxed & actually put pen to paper & wrote my elected officials. Goes to show, YOUR VOICE DOES COUNT!

5. i sent 5 strongly worded letters in this campaign, one to perata himself.

-Jesse

6. I thought living in Illinois was bad enough!

7. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

That's great news, guys! I hope this is a sign of the times to come for the PRK.

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Kudos to all the fine gun-owning freedom-loving rights advocates in California. When it's Florida's turn on this issue, I hope we can make the same showing.

9. 8MM,

Dang, you're gonna have those PRK Demdogs on your trail now....but, dang....good fer you!

Sure am glad to hear there has been a reprive, for now. Sad to say those types will keep hounding and hounding until they get something slid by, perhaps, in disguise.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2002
  10. Big Dog,

No need to sweat the Florida attempt(s). Heck...just keep baffling the voters with ballots they can't understand. And, after the vote is taken, and should the anit-gunners win, drag it out in litigation over the ballots.

They can always point out if Reno understood the ballot it had to have been faulty and confusing.

PS: are there many of the 80 year olds down there that are gun owners, can hold them up...can sight one? he he he he

11. Dale, thanks, i'm sure they're thinking up some new unjust law to heep on top of the pile, Liberals and Demacrates are like roaches they don't ever stop coming until they get what they want.
    (sorry if i offened any roaches that might see this)

-Jesse

12. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Good for PRK maybe on day they will come to their senses before the state falls in the ocean

13. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    Jesse is right, the Ba$tages just keep on trying. Every piece of legislation has to be looked at in detail to be sure the Liberals & Demagogs don't slip something into the fine print.

It is like a war on the homefront. The Ba$tages just keep assaulting just like the Chinese did in Korea, and we kept blasting them, until we were able to march on through.

Once we can get them to slow down their assault, on our Constitutional rights, then we can regroup and take on the existing gunlaws.

I hate it when people say just enforce the existing gun laws, and don't pass any more! WELL, MANY OF THE EXISTING GUN LAWS NEED TO BE REMOVED!! Not only that, but anyone who had been convicted under those bad laws should get the conviction removed with a pardon from the Governor! AND get paid restitution for any money spent to defend themselves, by the individuals who prosecuted, including the judge, and those who introduced the law in the first place!!!!!