Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i own a SKS rifle in california? I've read at several places on the internet that the SKS rifle is illegal in CA and constitutes an assult weapon. I'm also in the process of getting my C&R license, will that help?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Check out the DOJ web site, to find out what the law reads.

Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

You will especially need to know, the law, if you are getting any kind of FFL. For instance, in CA there is basically no such thing as a C&R pistol, since all pistols have to be processed the same, through a regular FFL. There are many restrictions on you as a C&R FFL, by CA that you may not wish to have, meaning the advantage of having the C&R FFL places you in a category that will have you audited by the BATFE, DOJ, and whatever law enforcement agency that you have to get to approve the FFL, will perform audits of your storage, your record books, and if you have intermingled previously owned firearms with any you bought as a C&R (for instance, store them in the same gun safe) the previously owned firearms are subject to the audit.

The BATFE, DOJ, and the Law enforcement agency are not that difficult to deal with regarding getting your C&R FFL, however when they audit, they look for everything, and you will get major dings for undotted "i's", uncrossed "t's", and if somebody writes "Y" or "N" instead of "Yes" or "No", that could suspend your license. I have heard that misspelled words, and missing words are a sure suspension of your license.

As to the SKS, if it is an SKS that has not been altered from its original design, and has a fixed 10 round magazine (as issued) it should be legal to own in CA. If it has a removable magazine then it falls under the Assault Weapon Law. Same with a pistol grip (or thumbhole) stock, which changes it to an assault weapon.

If it is a Yugo 59/66 then the grenade launcher has to be removed or permanently altered so that it will not accept a grenade to launch (when was the last time you saw a CommBloc Grenade that could be launched by a Yugo 59/66?).

Some of the most severe restrictions on SKS's are from BATFE, specifically if you do certain alterations using foreign made parts, you could make it illegal by Federal Law. Also certain of the Chinese SKS's are not supposed to have bayonets installed according to the BATFE (anywhere in the USA).

`

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Some are OK,some aren't,for example the Yugo with the granade launcher is bad.
The gummint,and the Cal. gummint in particular don't wnat you to have a gun,so if it is OK today,well you never know what tomorrow will bring.:stupid:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,511 Posts
The Yugo M59/66 usues the 22mm NATO standard grenades - but I take your meaning . . . :)
It's interesting how in most any other subject, Federal Law trumps the State - except in the odious state AWB laws! This land isn't as United as we like to think.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
SKS's are legal in CA if they do not have the grenade launcher (because we all know wal mart sells grenades and anyone can get them) . Some vendors sell the "CA Legal" w/o the launcher.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts