close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Call me....I miss the old days, do you?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Was talking with a potential employeer (may be going back into social work) and as such gave out my contact info....Cell #, Busn Pager, personal pager, home #, work #, e-mail address, fax #. When I was a kid we had a home telephone #....1 just 1 want to call call that #.... now my 12 yr old has a pager..wife a cell telaphone and all of us e-mail address. I kinda worry that in an emergency Ill grab one of the pagers on the nite stand instead of a gun. Has technolagy realy helped us here? I mean My current job/possion I am NOT that important....the world will go on if they cant reach me to spell check a document. :p I actualy feel like I have electronic leashes on me. I can befound by anyone at any time.

So what do you all think...have we become to "reachable" to easy to contact? or is it a good thing?:confused:

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Too reachable in my book.But all ya gotta do is turn off all the disrupter gizmos and all is right in the world again.

3. I have to wear a pager at work and it went off 4 times today. That means I have to drive to the nearest pay phone and that adds a lot of time to my day. I dont have a cell phone and I dont want one. Makes me too accesible. Want to get ahold of me? Leave a message on the old fashioned answering machine. Maybe, just maybe I'll call back.

4. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

No pager, no cell phone, one computer and one phone line. Call me old fashion.

no cable tv either or satellite for that matter.

5. NRAJOE

No cable? Gotta have my Discovery channel, History channel, The Learning channel and TNN!

6. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Well in the 90's all of us single guys would love to have a female say call me, one piece of paper would be used and it would be small, something you would guard your life with.....but now its email me and 2nd phone line, 4 different email address, might as well carry 1 notebook Ha!!

7. 90's you got to be kidding-- let's try the mid 70's. No internet--Son please get off the phone. OK mom -- an hour later.

8. I have one number a home number, if anyone needs to get a hold of me it can be done there
    1 # is all ya need!
    -Jesse

9. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

2 phone lines, 1 cell, 5 e-mails, two computers, 1 fax machine and thats just me

10. NRAJOE

Dang Shaun..21st century digital man!

11. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

yah but when I go hunting not a single thing comes along I want my quiet time

12. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I hate the fact I have to carry a cell phone all of the time with me. It's part of the job requirement, but I'm trying to change that. My company has been complaining about my cell phone bill, but that's what they get for giving me a 614 area code on my phone when I work in the 937 and 513 area codes. I figure if it gets high enough, they'll take it back. If I wanted to talk to someone, I'd use the dam* phone, although email has benefits.....

13. Chris

Email is great I think, especially when I want to talk to people globally that I might never talk to and I have learned quite a bit of things from emails.

14. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Shaun the quintessential hightech redneck

15. Phacopsrana--I learned a new word. Hang on I am looking it up--quinte---- never mind.

16. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I think I mentioned this a while back, did any of you prior GI's use MARS overseas.

17. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I used mars while on floats and in Lebnon...out standing system...probly have cell telaphones on ships now days.

I posted this because work was calling on home, cell and both pagers...kids pager..wife pager were getting calls from their friends and my 23 yr olds cell was ringing....was like a bad comady movie.... I noticed that in the old days people waited for you to call back....or if tey paged gave you time to find a pay phone...now days (for me) I swear people have me on speed dial and give me .00001 seconds to call back then page again and again... And if 1 more clown pages/calls em a 3am on a sat/sun to "talk" about a payroll problem....welp Im gona go LAPD on them :)

18. NRAJOE

Yes sir, used MARS when I was stationed in Germany back in the late 70's. (Now my wife acts like she's from Mars but thats a different story!)

19. Chris

What is MARS? Care to explain...

20. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Military Affiliate Radio System. I used to work MARS via WA4ECY out of Pensacola. It used to be how Americans travelling abroad could contact anyone else and leave a msg, do a ship to shore phone conversation, etc. Primarily established as a service for out of area military. We'd pass messages via HF voice net, morse code, teletype, you name it. Nowadays, it's too easy to just pick up the phone and make the call, what with long distance deregulated. Besides, my code speed ain't what it used to be.

Here's a link: http://www.navymars.org/