Calling Big Shrek....Marlin 60 conversion

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by twinoaks, Dec 15, 2009.

1. twinoaks

twinoaks G&G Newbie

Hello,
    I have the opportunity to pick up a used Marlin 60 for a great price. I plan to shoot it as is for a while, but my inner gunsmith is already screaming to be let out. I've already read info here and other sites regarding aftermarket accessories, so that isn't my question.
    The question is: Since the 60 and 795 share the same receiver, and the only real difference is the feeding, what are some of the particular issues I'll have to deal with when (NOT IF) I convert the 60 to a 795?
    Here's what I see needing to be done:
    cut out the stock- fortunately the factory stock is mostly already inletted.
    swap the feed ramp for the one for the magazine.
    remove the cartridge lifter - will I need a shim or spacer?
    install the magazine catch. Here's where I start wondering....will I need to install a 795 trigger guard, or does the mag catch attach to the mag well?
    It appears that the tubular magazine can be left in place, but I won't know until I see the new mag. well; seems like an awfully handy place to keep reserve ammo that also acts to add weight and make it muzzle heavy.
    And no, there's nothing 'wrong' with tube feeds, I just like the option to reload more quickly. Yes, I realize I could just buy a 795, but what fun would that be?
    Thanks for all comments.
    Mike

2. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

Sounds like some real work headed your way and probably costly. I would seek out some exploded drawings and do some serious comparing of parts. Use of the magaine tube as a storage device would require modifications to prevent the extra rounds from entering the firing mechanism. I'd just purchase a 795 and keep the 60 as is...the 60 is a great little shooter.
    Keep in mind that some parts needed for such a conversion may not be available thus putting a damper on the project...check the availability of parts before you tear into your project. By this, I mean Marlin may require parts be installed at the factory.
    But, by all means, if you have a great price on the 60...buy it.

3. twinoaks

twinoaks G&G Newbie

Got the 60 tonight- price was two holsters :D. I've already sourced all of the obvious parts, and from what I see, midway has them all. I'm just wondering if I've overlooked anything.
    As stated, it's a used model, and came with an inexpensive BSA red dot. Functioned 100% with Win hollowpoints and Rem subsonic. I haven't bothered with trying thunderduds and probably won't. I won't have an accuracy report until I put something with a little magnification on it, but with the red dot, the first 25 rds were nicely clustered just below the POA all within 2 inches at 25 yards. After Christmas, I'll check out another scope and then see what it'll do.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted