Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes take my youngest son to work in the morning early. I took a quick run through at the local Walmart. Found a few 100 round sleeves of 40Grain Winchester. Also a box of 333Round 22 36 grain Hollow Points. What really surprised me was a few boxes of 22 Magnum 45 grain in 150 round box. Glad I got some more 22. One guy came in while Ii was waiting for someone to get the key to the cabinet. He was a truck driver from Pennsylvania and he stopped to see if any ammo. He said there is no ammo around his area of PA. He has been stopping at all Walmart's while delivering his route. He bought a ew boxes of each also. I was thinking that the guy bought two boxes of 22 Magnum I think mistakenly and thought it was 22 LR. He told me he had no 22 Magnum rifle. He paid and gone before I could bring it to his attention. Looks like Winchester is producing a bit of 22. Last week it was CCI.

image000002.jpg
image000001.jpg
image000000.jpg

·
Registered
595 Posts
You sir, are a lucky man. If I were in Walmart or anywhere today, I would buy just about any ammo they have. Back when the Obama ammo shortage happened, 2008-2012 or so, I traveled every week and stopped at Walmart to pee or just stretch my legs, sometimes 2-3 per day. In rural areas they often had only 40sw and 357 sig. I did not own either but bought lots of it. If you could buy say 1,000 rounds of a caliber you did not own, it might be worth buying the gun, or you could always trade it for what you need.

Also, there are people who actually shoot 22lr in 22 mag guns. Just check out UTube. You lose lots of velocity and get the gun very dirty, but people do that. CAN YOU FIRE A 22LR IN A 22WMR GUN? - Bing video

What were the prices of the 22 mag today?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Pretty good score. Gotta keep checking myself. Always on the look out for 22 magnum at Walmart. My LGS has em now and then but at $18 per 50. Walmart has sold them in the past for $10.25.

·
Premium Member
9,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty good score. Gotta keep checking myself. Always on the look out for 22 magnum at Walmart. My LGS has em now and then but at $18 per 50. Walmart has sold them in the past for $10.25.
The 22 Magnum was the most expensive and was $27 a box of 150 Rounds. Not too bad considering they were $10-$11 for a pack of 50. There is like no 22 Magnum hardly to be had. I was amazed as they also had Winchester shotgun shells. 12 and 20 gauge in 4, 6, and 71/2 shot. They had the 4 box bricks of 100 shells for $22 a brick. They got a load of Winchester from somewhere. I am thinking that they have a contract with the supplier or manufacturer and guaranteed so much to be sold to them.

·
Premium Member
9,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK! I'll give $3 a box...just to make the deal sweeter for you!

Good job/Congrats!
Spooker have you been able to get any 22 direct from Winchester or CCI? I am not sure if you get through a distributor or the manufacturer

·
Registered
476 Posts
I guess you are on the outskirt of the city? It seems like its hit or miss no matter if you are in a city or a small unpopulated town.
I'm in the suburbs. I used to get ammo from Targetsportusa, but everything is on backorder. They would ship right to my house. I'd love some 17HMR

·
Premium Member
23,961 Posts
Not sure what state you are in but I would have sent you a box in the mail
You cannot legally mail ammo Randy....

But it looks like you made a decent score there all things considered.
I don't recall ever seeing any of that 45gr. Winchester 22WMR...

·
Registered
595 Posts

Winchester is also selling the 45 grain bullet as a "subsonic" load in both 22LR and 22 mag. I bought 5 boxes of each at Cabela's last year. If you shoot with a suppressor my experience is they are as good as any of the finest target ammo they make. My guess is the heavier bullet makes them more stable. I would buy all of the 45 grain in 22 Mag that I could find. Winchester still makes the Dynapoint with the 50 grain bullet, but they are hard to find. I will buy a case the next time I get the chance.

$27 for 150 rounds is a bargain in my book. I would buy 10 boxes at that price, which should last me a couple lifetimes. Love the 22 mag. I have a Golden Boy, Single 6, and Ruger Precision Rimfire, and would not mind a few others. In a rifle is it a serious defense round. In those 30 round KelTec pistols and carbines, it poses a serious threat to anyone down range and you can pack hundreds of rounds easily. If Savage would add 30-50 round magazines for their semi auto rifle and add a 9 power scope it would be pretty formidable. I am looking for one of those rifles now, the Savage Model 47400. If anyone sees one available online I appreciate the lead. I am also looking at both the Charter arms and Ruger 22 mag revolvers. My buddy has the Taurus J frame in 22 mag, great little gun but impossible to find. You lose a lot of velocity below about a 5 inch barrel, but they are still pretty good thumper with those 45 and 50 grain bullets. The 22 mag has become my favorite new caliber.

M2C

·
Premium Member
9,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

You can not mail ammo at all through USPS. I think you can send UPS but has to be specified as small arms ammo ORM-D. Also FEDEX GROUND

·
Premium Member
9,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Winchester is also selling the 45 grain bullet as a "subsonic" load in both 22LR and 22 mag. I bought 5 boxes of each at Cabela's last year. If you shoot with a suppressor my experience is they are as good as any of the finest target ammo they make. My guess is the heavier bullet makes them more stable. I would buy all of the 45 grain in 22 Mag that I could find. Winchester still makes the Dynapoint with the 50 grain bullet, but they are hard to find. I will buy a case the next time I get the chance.

$27 for 150 rounds is a bargain in my book. I would buy 10 boxes at that price, which should last me a couple lifetimes. Love the 22 mag. I have a Golden Boy, Single 6, and Ruger Precision Rimfire, and would not mind a few others. In a rifle is it a serious defense round. In those 30 round KelTec pistols and carbines, it poses a serious threat to anyone down range and you can pack hundreds of rounds easily. If Savage would add 30-50 round magazines for their semi auto rifle and add a 9 power scope it would be pretty formidable. I am looking for one of those rifles now, the Savage Model 47400. If anyone sees one available online I appreciate the lead. I am also looking at both the Charter arms and Ruger 22 mag revolvers. My buddy has the Taurus J frame in 22 mag, great little gun but impossible to find. You lose a lot of velocity below about a 5 inch barrel, but they are still pretty good thumper with those 45 and 50 grain bullets. The 22 mag has become my favorite new caliber.

M2C

M2C
I am only shooting 22LR and 22 Magnum at this time. Not till I know what the situation is going to be with finding ammo in the future. I have two Marlin 22 Mag rifles with the magazines and two henry lever action 22 mag rilfes. I also like my old Ithaca lever action in 22 mag. I will shoot 22 as long as I can still find it.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Me too pretty much with the magnum now. Better grab what we can. Not only a shortage but am afraid of a big tax on ammo. Price was sure bad enough on that S&B 9MM at $50 last week..

·
Registered
595 Posts
I am only shooting 22LR and 22 Magnum at this time. Not till I know what the situation is going to be with finding ammo in the future. I have two Marlin 22 Mag rifles with the magazines and two henry lever action 22 mag rilfes. I also like my old Ithaca lever action in 22 mag. I will shoot 22 as long as I can still find it.
I dropped by my gun club range yesterday, a nice sunny day and almost no one there. I had a 20 lane pistol range to myself for an hour. About 1,500 club members and pretty day, go figure. One guy shows up an hour later and all he brought was rimfire, same deal, he said he was conserving ammo but wanted to shoot. I took a 380 and a 357 to test some new reloads but shot only about 50 rounds, then maybe 100 in the 22s.

A third guy showed up as I was leaving and he only brought 2 guns, a new Ruger carbine 9mm and a handgun. Looked like he only had a couple boxes of ammo on the bench.

The gun club recently changed the rules in 3 gun. Something like they only shoot 60% of what the rules called for.

So, either people have ran out of ammo, or they are like us, just shooting rimfire and holding onto our stash. I have lots of 22s so my grand kids can shoot for a long time, but I am not sure if I can replace it. I have not seen any in Walmart in maybe 5 months. Maybe I should go earlier in the day.

I did drag out a 22 revolver that I had not shot in years. I was hitting 2-3 inch groups at 25 yards, it has a 2 inch barrel, so it was a great day. Any time I can shoot coke cans at 25 yards nearly every time with a snub gun, that is a good day. That thing was so accurate you could head shoot squirrels or rabbits with it. I will be taking it again for sure and that makes the 22s just fine until this crises is gone which could be a very long time. That sucks.

Reactions: graybeard

·
Premium Member
23,961 Posts
You can not mail ammo at all through USPS. I think you can send UPS but has to be specified as small arms ammo ORM-D. Also FEDEX GROUND

Not trying to be a smarty pants Randy, but that link is for United Parcel Service that has the brown trucks and vans, not for the United States Postal Service...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts