Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Not trying to be a smarty pants Randy, but that link is for United Parcel Service that has the brown trucks and vans, not for the United States Postal Service...
Yes I know Rex. That is why I posted it showing that you can use UPS and Fedex ground.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
really tempted to sell some of my CCI Blazer I bought for $18/brick of 500.....got about 15k rds....but then id have to pay stupid prices later...

·
Premium Member
9,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
really tempted to sell some of my CCI Blazer I bought for $18/brick of 500.....got about 15k rds....but then id have to pay stupid prices later...
Joe I have like well lets put it this way, I could target shoot or hunt each each day and never put a dent in it. I am mostly stocking up because of the not knowing. Is ammo ever going to come back as we once knew it?. If so when? Then with the bills they keep introducing trying to make into law will there be a time where the average person cant get any or manufacturers regulated to a point to where they stop making it. I am hoping it is just a temporary shortage for now. My main reason is stocking up for future nonsense and having ammo for my kids and grand kids so they can enjoy the sport of shooting and hunting in the future. I could sell most of mine in so many calibers and be set financially for a long time but then I may be screwed. I will simply hold on to my nest egg for now.

·
Premium Member
23,948 Posts
Not sure what state you are in but I would have sent you a box in the mail
^^^ I'm just going by that Randy.

Yes I know Rex. That is why I posted it showing that you can use UPS and Fedex ground.
^^^ And still not trying to be a smartypants, if your local FedEx or UPS terminal works like mine does down here you would have more in freight than the retail price of the box of 22LR or 22WMR ammo. Maybe if you shipped a case or a spam can their rates might be competitive, but for a small amount of ammo, any quotes I've ever gotten from them killed the deal.

·
NOT a new member
1,670 Posts
Also, there are people who actually shoot 22lr in 22 mag guns. Just check out UTube. You lose lots of velocity and get the gun very dirty, but people do that. CAN YOU FIRE A 22LR IN A 22WMR GUN? - Bing video

That is absolutely stupid. One of the clerks at a local gun shop kept telling people they could do this and I said no. Next time I had the 22 mags out I fired a 22lr out of both a bolt action and a Ruger single six,, NEITHER gun did the bullet leave the barrel, I had to tap the rounds out of the barrel. Telling people this is acceptable is insane and I don't care what a video says. In fact the moderators need to remove even the suggestion of this off the site.
There is an idiot that comes in to one of the local shops, I don't recall what caliber old handgun he has but he has found that something slightly different will fire in it. Of course EVERY case is split open from the pressure and I keep telling him it will soon be your gun blown apart.. he just says it seems ok.
About a year ago I know of a guy that had a firearm blow up on him. He is on his 3rd or 4th surgery on his arms/hand and will likely never work again. His problem was not incorrect ammo, it was he took the suggestion that a decommissioned firearm could still be made to work, took just 3 rounds to prove him that wrong.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
FYI - I just found some 22 WMR CCI 40gr ammo on Midway this morning about 0830hrs. Around $200 for 500 rounds. Not sure how many they have.
This is the "Gamepoint" bullets.

·
Premium Member
9,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
^^^ I'm just going by that Randy.

^^^ And still not trying to be a smartypants, if your local FedEx or UPS terminal works like mine does down here you would have more in freight than the retail price of the box of 22LR or 22WMR ammo. Maybe if you shipped a case or a spam can their rates might be competitive, but for a small amount of ammo, any quotes I've ever gotten from them killed the deal.
Hi Rex. I perfectly understand what you were saying and its no big deal at all. I hope you are doing ok buddy.

·
Registered
592 Posts
That is absolutely stupid. One of the clerks at a local gun shop kept telling people they could do this and I said no. Next time I had the 22 mags out I fired a 22lr out of both a bolt action and a Ruger single six,, NEITHER gun did the bullet leave the barrel, I had to tap the rounds out of the barrel. Telling people this is acceptable is insane and I don't care what a video says. In fact the moderators need to remove even the suggestion of this off the site.
There is an idiot that comes in to one of the local shops, I don't recall what caliber old handgun he has but he has found that something slightly different will fire in it. Of course EVERY case is split open from the pressure and I keep telling him it will soon be your gun blown apart.. he just says it seems ok.
About a year ago I know of a guy that had a firearm blow up on him. He is on his 3rd or 4th surgery on his arms/hand and will likely never work again. His problem was not incorrect ammo, it was he took the suggestion that a decommissioned firearm could still be made to work, took just 3 rounds to prove him that wrong.

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT DO THIS IT IS NOT SAFE AN ANY GUNS BUT MINE THEY ARE SPECIAL
20210218_154712_resized.jpg

Well, I finally pulled my Single 6 out of the safe and tried to duplicate your results with mine and I could not. The issue you raised was shooting 22 lr out of a 22 mag cylinder. In your gun, every bullet stuck in the barrel and you got split cases. Mine works just fine like I said before, similar to the results in the UTube videos. To be safe, I wore leather gloves, eye protection and even hid behind a plastic shield for a while. If you will note the second picture, it is a 5.5 inch barrel Single 6. I started with those little Aquila Colibre, the little 20 grain bullet with no powder, all 6 just shot fine and none of the cases split.

Then I went to the CCI Quiet. These are the little 40 grain bullet that only goes 710 fps. They all shot just fine and none of those 6 cases split either.

So, then I went to the old standard Remington Golden Bullet, HP, 38 grain bullets at standard velocity. I shot 12 of them, all shot very well and no cases split at all. The last six I did not wear gloves or anything other than eye protection. I got no blow back or powder or any thing like that. No split cases, nothing different than firing normal 22 pistol rounds.
20210218_161003.jpg

But to make it interesting. I had an old laptop, the one in the first two pictures, with the camo cover. It had died long ago and I wanted to wipe the hard drive clean, Hillary clean, so I just shot it with the 22 Golden Bullets in the Single Six with the 22 mag cylinder in it. If you will look at the second picture closely you can see 2 groups of six rounds that went thru the top of the laptop and shattered some of the keys. They went through several layers of card board first, some envelopes and a feed sack that I put between me and the laptop just in case some of the glass from the screen might go airborne. As you can see, the 12 rounds of 22 lr fired from the 22 mag cylinder did just fine.

20210218_161040_resized.jpg

I shot them in my shop because it was below zero outside, snow a foot deep and just too windy outside. I normally do my testing inside where I have bullet boxes and 5 gallon buckets filled with sand and boxes filled with blocks. Since I did not shoot them for accuracy or measure the speed I will save that for another day.

Anyway, it may not work in your gun, but the 24 rounds I fired did not split a single case and they all fell right out of the cylinder. I will do a range test for speed and accuracy and report back in warmer weather.

We do a lot of ammo testing in my shop and and creates lots of fun loads, shooting everything from wood bullets, to wax bullets to even epoxy bullets and of course shooting sub calibers in various guns. I have been shooting 9mm a lot in my 38 Super just because I have more 9mm ammo. Not every Super will shoot 9mm as some have weak ejectors or magazines that do not feed them well, but many do. There is a myth that shooting 9mm in a 38 Super will cause premature wear on the ejecters. Technically, you can wear out wire pliers by cutting hard wire with them also, but I have not worn out either the ejectors on my 38 supers or any of my pliers. I am so far pretty lucky that way. I can add pictures of the cases that did not split if you like, but you might want to try it again in your gun if you want to live dangerously. Mine fired them just fine. I will follow up with the range test and maybe fire the 22lr in a couple 22 mag rifles when the weather gets warmer. If I can just get about 2 inch groups at 50 yards with the 22lr in the 22 mag rifles that makes it worth my while to shoot them in the magnum rifles. My Ruger Precision Rimfire groups under .5 moa with the 22 mag ammo, I will be curious to see how it does with 22lr.

Just my experience, they very well may blow up your gun. And nobody else should try this at home, ever, unless you have a safe lab environment like we do. I am hoping to add a 10mm because I have thousands of rounds of 40SW and thousands of rounds of 40SW brass. They really shoot well in the 10mm chamber so I hope to add one soon. The EEA Witness in 10 mm is famous for shooting the 40 SW just as accurately as it does the 10mm and they feed 100% from the EEA magazines I am told.

You know I am messing with you a little bit, right? The 22 lr did exactly as stated no problems at all. That is the only 22 mag pistol I have so it might not work in others. Just sharing my results. And shooting a computer is , well, fun. I am going to take it to the range and shoot it up a bunch more. Anyway, FWIW.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Is anybody finding 22 mag available on-line? Just looking for target and plinking ammo, I have a stash of the varmint and defense stuff. Trying long range rimfire so anything at reasonable cost is fine but the heavier bullets (50 grain ) are preferred. 300 yards is a long way in a rimfire but fun. Just need lots of rounds to lob down range.

Also looking for 380 ball for family to shoot. Ammoseek prices are nuts. I am on the notify lists at the major suppliers and have had only the one scam from one place in 3-4 months. Any leads appreciated. Or if anybody has some for sale let me know.

Also interested in the 22 (WRF) Winchester Rimfire, which are normally only seasons runs, I think only by CCI and Winchester. Have not seen any of those in a year. While they are made for the older round, they are great for target use in the 22 Mag so if anyone knows where they might be found I appreciate the lead. Thanks.

Reactions: ChaZam

·
NOT a new member
1,670 Posts
Well, I finally pulled my Single 6 out of the safe and tried to duplicate your results with mine and I could not. The issue you raised was shooting 22 lr out of a 22 mag cylinder. In your gun, every bullet stuck in the barrel and you got split cases. Mine works just fine like I said before, similar to the results in the UTube videos. To be safe, I wore leather gloves, eye protection and even hid behind a plastic shield for a while. If you will note the second picture, it is a 5.5 inch barrel Single 6. I started with those little Aquila Colibre, the little 20 grain bullet with no powder, all 6 just shot fine and none of the cases split.

You did not read my post very well.. I got no split cases out of .22lr cases fired in a 22 mag chamber. That issue was a guy with a iirc 32-20 revolver who can't find any "cheap" ammo for it so he has tried some other version of 32 ammo, it fires but splits every case. The issue I had was not one 22lr bullet fired out of my stainless single six, nor out of a marlin bolt 22 mag made it out of the barrel. I used Blazer 22 and some Aquila 22.
Yes I do have a new Puma 22 six shooter that I know will fire 22lr out of its 22 mag cylinder, accuracy is very poor. My father picked it up and loaded 22lr rounds in it not knowing it was a convertible and had the 22 mag cylinder in it. He got lucky, he is in his 80's and the thinker is slowing down. I would certainly not suggest people roll the dice and test their luck doing something they know they should not.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You did not read my post very well.. I got no split cases out of .22lr cases fired in a 22 mag chamber. That issue was a guy with a iirc 32-20 revolver who can't find any "cheap" ammo for it so he has tried some other version of 32 ammo, it fires but splits every case. The issue I had was not one 22lr bullet fired out of my stainless single six, nor out of a marlin bolt 22 mag made it out of the barrel. I used Blazer 22 and some Aquila 22.
Yes I do have a new Puma 22 six shooter that I know will fire 22lr out of its 22 mag cylinder, accuracy is very poor. My father picked it up and loaded 22lr rounds in it not knowing it was a convertible and had the 22 mag cylinder in it. He got lucky, he is in his 80's and the thinker is slowing down. I would certainly not suggest people roll the dice and test their luck doing something they know they should not.
Well, I think what you meant to say is that there are a lot of old guns out there that are not very strong and any ammo that is not exactly within SAAMI specs might be dangerous. And people should not do that unless they understand metallurgy and pressures which can cause gases to bleed around an undersized case or even bulge or possibly even split a portion of the case. Or the weakened older guns might actually explode. Or caution is in order any time a person might shoot something that fits in your gun, but is not listed as the proper ammunition for it, regardless of what many people may have done for decades and obviously do on UTube videos. I think you meant to courteously express a word of caution. But in reading your comment very closely this is what you actually said in the Queen's English:

"That is absolutely stupid. One of the clerks at a local gun shop kept telling people they could do this and I said no. Next time I had the 22 mags out I fired a 22lr out of both a bolt action and a Ruger single six,, NEITHER gun did the bullet leave the barrel, I had to tap the rounds out of the barrel. Telling people this is acceptable is insane and I don't care what a video says. In fact the moderators need to remove even the suggestion of this off the site. "

Seems pretty clear to me. Perhaps you might consider why the clerk at your local gun store seems to tell people this was OK. And why nobody has sued that gun store? And why people like me who have seen it done or done it for 50 years do not seem to think it is a risk? Well after being a wildcatter and hobby smith for a few decades and have a close friend who is an advanced level wildcatter and smith, let me suggest this.

(1) First there is very little risk of explosion in a gun with a barrel cut for the 22 mag. Why? Well, because a 22 Mag barrel is basically 0.224 inches in diameter. Most 22 long rifle ammo is sized to go down a smaller hole, that is a 0.221-0.220 diameter hole. So, there is less friction and less pressure.

(2) Next there is the metallurgy, a 22 long rifle is among the lower pressure rounds that can exist. In fact the max pressure is only 24,000 psi whereas the 9mm is 35,000 the same as the 357 magnum. But that is the beauty of this thing, the 22 Magnum is the same as the 22 long rifle. Yep, the same. So, if you are suddenly shooting a 22 long rifle in a 22 magnum that is already cut and approved for the same pressure then the maximum explosion that can happen is the same, but we know that cannot happen, because the barrel is loose, it is about 0.002 inches larger, so less pressure cannot blow up a cylinder or barrel. But that is only a small part of the pressure gradient.

(3) A pressure curve in a cartridge rises very quickly to a point of maximum pressure while velocity will continue to build as the bullet goes down the barrel. Here is the Ballistics by the Inch chart comparing the velocity of the 22 lr and the 22 mag. Note that these are both from the 2 inch test barrel about the same length as the chamber. The ones highlighted in bold are all 40 grain bullets. That tells us that in a short barrel there is almost no difference between the 22lr and 22 mag, because they start at the same pressure.

22 LR 2" 861 860 974 945 875 846 856 862 882 863
22MG
2"​
884​
1085​
853​
843​
962​
1114​
n/a​

There have been people who reload rimfire for 40 years and there are kits available still I believe. They use 2.0 grains of HS 6 for the 22 lr and about 4 grains of Longshot in the 22 mag. The pressures are the same, it just takes the extra powder to build the burn to get the extra velocity out of the 22 mag as it leaves the cylinder and goes down the barrel. As you can see from the chart above, all that speed is beyond the 2 inch barrels. In fact if you look at both of those charts, you do not even get to 22 rifle speeds with the 22 mag until you are past about a 5 inch barrel, a long time after the explosion and well past the cylinder. So for you to claim it will blow the gun up just makes no scientific sense whatsoever. Here is the only caution wicki gives:

It is dangerous to chamber .22 LR rounds in a .22 WMR firearm. Doing so can result in injury from high pressure hot gas leaking around the LR round, which is too small for a .22 WMR chamber or cylinder.

So, can you provide even one link to any story anywhere of a 22 mag gun blowing up while firing a 22 lr round? The point is your claim of blowing up a handgun or having some bad event with exactly the same pressure makes zero sense.

(3) The next problem with your theory that a 22 lr will blow up or wreck a 22 magnum ignores the chamber length and added distance that the bullet must travel to even get to the forcing cone, before it gets to the barrel that is 0.002 inches larger and has less resistance. Think of it this way. Many gun designers cut a chamber a little long, longer than needed so that when the round fires, the little extra space in front of the bullet is simply open space and the bullet must jump that space before it even gets to the rifling. That is exactly what they did with the 223 to get the 5.56 configuration. That extra space lets the pressure that is created at the instant of firing have a couple nano seconds for the pressure spike to go down, that lets the round be loaded to higher pressures which will give more velocity as it proceeds down the barrel, the miracle of the 5.56. All of my Weatherby rifles have extra lead, my 257 has about 3/8 of an inch. Contrary to what some believe it does not effect accuracy that much yet gives me about 10% more velocity. That is the miracle of the Weatherbys.

Shooting the 22lr in a 22 magnum cylinder does the same thing, all that empty space lets the pressure subside. If you look at the UTube videos I posted you see they lost 300 fps. That is because of all that extra space and possible gas leaks. Think of it also like this. The Smith and Wesson Governor shoots 410 shotgun shells, 45 Colt and 45 acp. The cylinder is 3 inches long, measure it. When you put a short 45 acp in there it is like a 22 in a 22mag chamber, lots of empty space which lets the pressure fall and the normal 850 fps you expect in a 45 acp falls to about 700 fps. Most of us who shoot them load around the cylinder gap we call it, we load lighter bullets to much higher speeds getting the bullet out of that chamber as quick as possible before too much leak has occurred, it works..

If you watch any of the UTube videos, you do not see any of them complain about any gas leak. The reason is you do not see any spit cases. The cases in those videos do bulge a little which seals the case. Even if they split a little bit,who cares. Reloaders have split cases when they get old, I have had maybe thousands, a case splits throw it away.

Last is the issue of the gas. In the SW Governor and the Taurus Judge the chamber is bigger than the 45 Colt and the 45 acp. They are both .476 inches. But the 410 at the brass is .478, so the chamber is cut 0.002 larger. Notice the similarity? Just like the 22 long rifle in a 22 mag chamber it is cut 0.002 inches too big. The 410 only generates about 1,400 psi and the 45 Colt about 19,000 psi, but the 45 acp plus P gets to about 22,000 psi. Nearly the same as the 22 long rifle and the 22 magnum. Do you hear anyone complain about a gas leak on them or the Taurus Judge? And keep in mind the 22 long rifle only has about 2 grains of powder with 2.5 grains max in the Stinger. My 45 Colt will have 9 grains of Unique or 7 grains of Unique for the 45 acp or other powder, so there is a lot more burn and a lot more to leak.

My point is simply. You have called folks idiots because you do not believe it is safe to fire 22 long rifle in a 22 mag chamber. But you do not have a single example of one person having a gun blow up as you say. Not one.

So, yes I understand what you said. My comment is you just have zero to back it up. I will be firing a 100 rounds thru the Single Six of various brands and I will post them for you. If any cases split, I will post photos. If it blows up and kills 14 or 15 people at my range I will post their obituaries.

It is pretty EZ to be an internet ninja and call people fools, but if you have evidence of any gun blowing up post em.

And for your information it has been common practice to convert 22 revolvers to 22 mag for decades, even through the base gun in 22 had the smaller bore, of only 0.221 or 0.222 depending on brand. The famous Smith and Wesson model 63 or blue model 34 (kit gun) was the gun of choice. People would find a cylinder for the model 651 (22 magnum) and just slap it in or they would just ream the chamber. I have one. I will post some photos of shooting 22 long rifle in it as well.
There is even the common conversion of the little Ruger Bearcat. Ruger says they will not hold up, so smiths just bore them out to 22 mag because the rounds have the same max pressure, no risk. You can even buy them now as converted. Think about that one, a tiny little Bearcat in 22 mag. And no they do not blow up because the barrel is 0,002 inches smaller.GUNS Magazine Tyler Gun Works .22 Magnum Ruger Bearcat - GUNS Magazine

FWIW

21 - 31 of 31 Posts