Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
This file give us some data on the M1 Garand Rifle at Camp Perry in 1940. Notice how this Officer is looking for a good review. It also tells us some info on the 1939 shoot at Perry. I hope some of you find this of interest. Let me know what you think of this file.

Posted before trying to let the NEW guys take a look.
Email:[email protected]
Thanks again
Clancy
NRA Life Endowment
NRA Training Counselor
NRA Instructor
FSS 90% / BW X Speed Div by 1000 = PF
THA 63

·
Registered
395 Posts
confirmation

Hi E. Clancy,

This "letter" is a confirmation to what ww2 and Korea veterans have told several people. When the M1 has fired a lot of ammo in a row then the front handgaurd will start "leeking" oil.
So this "problem" has not been solved due to the production process and probably the costs for an other wood treatment???
It seems to me that this is a thing that can happen with every gun that has wood with linseed treatment.
Maybe Stock doc can put his knowledge as input here:lucky:

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I do not treat the undersides heavily with oil. All the stocks I have done and rapid shoots I have never burned :flame: up a guard. In war I could see it and it is more of a hand cooler than anything so if in war time it was lost it wouldn't matter as long as you didn't touch the barrel when hot.
As for us shooters there is no worry as we will very rarely be in this situation and if you only oil once or twice on the underside it will be fine.
A note"" I rapid fired 200 rounds one time and had the guard steaming like a no tomorrow. Nothing at all happened not even a burn mark. But boy it was something to see.

Thanks again Ed for the great reads. Keep it up and tell the wife I said HI. Back to work I go. Stock Doc

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gentlemen,
Stock Doc, knows what he is talking about that's for sure.
Thanks again Sir
Carol and I hope all is well with you and yours.
Just got a LARGE group of files in from WW 2
Ed and the BOSS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts