Can anyone?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by FS00008, May 21, 2008.

1. FS00008

FS00008 Сергей Иванович Мосин. Forum Contributor

Can anyone tell me what this unknown 7mm Remington Single Shot rifle is? The data on the Rifle says,

Remington Arms-Union Metallic CTG. CO.
    Rem Works, Ilion, NY, U.S.A. PATD. OCT.22.1901

On the barrel it says, "Cal. 7MM"

It's been in my family for years and the barrel is completely obscured. Is it worth it to try to get it back in Firing Condition? The stock has a few scuffs but the action is smooth and the trigger pull is smooth as butter. I am wondering if it may be made with Damascus Steel and whether or not it could fire standard 7MM cartridges? I know that it is newer than 1901, but I cannot find any serial number on the rifle...? Strange if you ask me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. Pictures are/were to nasty to even begin to tell you... On my end they were/are anyhow...Too yellow and or too much ambient light...

3. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Guest

4. FS00008

Yea, I'm sorry about that. I only have my dumb cell phone camera and cannot fix it easily. I'll try to mess with them a little bit and repost.

Never mind :). Thanks very much Mr. Mitch! Do you think it could be fixed and/or fired today? Would it be able to take down a good size hog if it were in firing condition?

5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

That is a Remington #1 or #1-1/2 Rolling Block action...It is in 7mm Mauser...
    It is a strong action and a Competent Gunsmith could evaluate and fix it !!!
    Rich

6. FS00008

Thanks very much guys! I'll try to find a gunsmith in my area ASAP! Is there easy availability for the 7MM Mauser round in the US? Manufactured today?

7. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I would think you can find some if you look...Gunshows are a good place...
    That rifle is worth Quite a Bit, so DO NOT RE-FINISH IT...I cant give an accurate appraisal , but it may be 1500 to 2500 + depending on Condition.
    Rich

8. FS00008

Well the stock is beautiful. Has a few dings and is a bit dull, but I would never consider refinishing it. I am wanting to fire it though so I would probably want to have it worked over by a competent Gunsmith. My grandfather was told that if he fired it it would explode, but from what I can tell, the barrel is obscured with what looks to be dried mud... I have cleaned the breech a little bit and from what I can tell, it has good rifling and has not been obviously counterbored...

I'm just concerned obviously about injury to myself or to the rifle if I were to clean it and try to fire it. I was thinking a mount and a 200 foot string on a range or something, but if it's worth that much... I might not even try...

9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

A Gunsmith will tell you wether or not it is safe to fire.

10. turner

turner Guest

Nice old rifle...it may be a 7x57R, meaning a rimmed version, being it's in a single shot, which is a bit more difficult, but not impossible to locate

11. FS00008

Yea, gotta find a smith around here haha. I haven't heard of that cartridge. Can you tell me anything about the ballistics?