Can it compete

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Dallas rifleman, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Dallas rifleman

Dallas rifleman G&G Newbie

I'm thinking about maybe competing in a rifle competition with my brother not right when i get my gun but after some sighting in of the weapon and training at the range has any body else competed with there mosin or does any one think it can compete in the competition :72120:

2. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Depend on what and who you are competing against. If your competing against modern Sniper rifles I would probably have to say no.

3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I would compete with any of my Finn Mosins !

4. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

You really think they would hold up in competition? I mean the accuracy of some of these rifles today.....I just wouldn't think an old rifle could quite hack it..Then again I guess it depends on whos weilding the rifle as much as the rifle itself.

5. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Get to know your equipment and its' preferences. Some of the highest scoring snipers of all times used Mosin Nagants.

6. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Finnish Sako/ Valmet/ Tikka Mosins...they shoot !

7. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

My M39 is pretty darned accurate as are my M91 finns!

8. Link23

Link23 G&G Newbie

mine to with handloads my M91 will make clover leaves at 120 yards with iron sights

9. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

Finn Mosins are great shooters in general. Hard to find one that won't shoot. Depends on the competition. Do you have any details of the competition?

10. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

At the end of the day, the question will be how accurate you are !!

11. Dallas rifleman

Its not a high end modern sniper rifle competition its any thing could be entered i would expect just average every hunting rifles its gonna be awhile before the competition i just wanted to know if any one thought it would make it in a competition before i even start training

12. Dallas rifleman

I will be using 148 grain FMJ rounds made in Russia i can finally use them i found a decent outdoor range

13. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Competitions are supposed to be fun although you have some serious shooters usually that are veering for the top spots. Formal competitions...you don't have a chance. Fun gun-club type competitions will depend on your skill and the condition of your rifle. Start shooting and practicing. If you can hold the black, you will do OK. If your practice shows totally missed shots, then use the competition as a learning tool and do it for fun. The Mosin is not a target gun, and shooters that have shot before will undoubtedly be using rifles and ammo that really outclass the Mosin. Thus whether it be competitive really depends on whether the rifle is in decent enough condition to hold the black, and that you are skilled enough as a shooter to hold the black.

14. Dallas rifleman

does any one know if you can find bow tailed 7.62x54 bullets or is that only 30-06

15. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Do you mean "boat tailed" bullets?

16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

17. YugoCrazy

YugoCrazy G&G Newbie

Im Glad You Got One Bud, Im VERY Envious...I Think If It Shoots Good It Could Compete...JUST DON'T TOUCH THE COSMO! YOU WILL BE INFECTED WITH MOSINITIS!

18. Billyz

Billyz G&G Newbie

I would not compete with mine, not that I do not like the platform, just because I have more accurate rifles at my disposal. But if it was the only rifle I had to use I would not hesitate.