Can my .177 hmr kill a racoon?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by vermit55, Sep 29, 2010.

1. vermit55

vermit55 G&G Newbie

Ive got a nasty racoon trashing our neighborhood and I intend to stop it
    before things get out of hand. Its getting brave and coming out during the
    day time and scaring the neighborhood kids. Ive seen it at night near a baseball field so I want to shoot it from across the field and I dont think my 22lr will do it. Dont want to get to close to it, heard they come at you.
    Any other suggestions?

2. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

I think the .17HMR would definitely kill a raccoon if you hit it properly.

3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    A 17 HMR will definitely kill a racoon, if you use one of the factory Varmint loadings.

You do not state where you live (suburbs, rural, etc.), but it behooves you to know if firing a 17HMR will cause you any legal issues.

If there is any possibility of legal trouble, I would suggest calling the local Animal Control or Wildlife/Game Warden folks, and reporting the critter as a nuisance.

4. scott_n06

scott_n06 G&G Newbie

The 17 will definitely do it, the 22lr probably would too. I have killed muskrats at 100yd with a 22lr(not alot smaller). And Ive never had a coon come at me normally they run away from me but you never know however if it does you can shoot it. Also if you are worried about legal actions the local pd will take care of things like that animal control will as well but I'm more like you I like to know its dead.

5. Hog Red

Hog Red G&G Addict

NW AR
    easiest way is to get a cage trap and relocate him. assuming it's not rabid. firing a rifle cartridge in a neighborhood is a bad idea, if i was intent on killing the thing i would use a shotgun

6. Billyz

Billyz G&G Newbie

Pop it in the head it will go down.

7. I knew people in Texas that used .22lr so I dont know why a .17hmr wouldnt kill a racoon.

8. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit G&G Evangelist

I've seen a possum killed at 40 yards with a 1000 fps pellet rifle when shot in the head. So that gun will definately do it. I've also see a coyote killed at about 75 yards with the 17 easily.

9. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

I've killed a few with mine. it will definitely do the job with any decent shot.

10. 99z28monster

99z28monster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

for sure. Coyotes and down you should be fine.

11. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

That round might kill a coon if it was hit enough times in the right spot. However, I doubt a single shot would do the job. On the other hand, a 17 hmr would more likely kill a coon in one shot.

Of course, be sure you're shooting legally. Some cities don't allow shooting these guns in their city limits.

12. Yes a .17 hmr will most definitely do the trick...and so will your .22 lr

13. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    the real problem is, you are seeing 1 coon, and its the other 20 you dont see that are causing the problems. coons by nature are not solitary animals.

14. ^ very true....
    I've actually had better luck using a box trap with them, and then disposing of them...
    The ones are are trouble seem to fall for the trap....

15. Link23

Link23 G&G Newbie

i go coon huntin EVERY night in kentucky, i shoot coons with 22 shorts, i know a 22 long rifle will take one down at 100 yards, no need to spend the extra on the 17HMR

16. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

17hmr can easily kill a coon.

17. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I've killed 3 Feeder Hogs with my Savage 93R17. 50-100LBS. Racoon aint no problem at all

18. I use 22lr for coons with no problem. I use a S&W 22a or a Marlin bolt rifle with the 7" barrel and Subsonic rounds and it takes them out no problem. a 17 HMR with a head shot will do the trick no prob

19. A .17 HMR is MADE for critters like coons.