Can Someone Please Explain........

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dallas, Mar 16, 2002.

1. How is Sporting Clays "played"? Meaning how many stations, how many shots high, low, etc.? What are the main differences between Sporting Clays and Skeet or Trap. Can I get away with a Remington 870 or do I really need to go with a semi auto (please say no, please)? What length barrel is recommended? Many thanks.

2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Clays

It's some of the most challenging shooting I've ever done. The courses are simulated with high, low, sideways, vertical, horizontal... you name it. According to the circumstances, the clays come in three sizes (I think)... the sizes range from larger than skeet clays to small as Coke bottle bottoms. Singles, doubles, and triples are part of the course. There is even a ground moving big clay that hops on the ground at mach 1 and simulates a jackrabbit. HARD TO HIT I KID YOU NOT!!! A double barrel say Ruger Red Label is a great shotgun for clays. For triples and full courses I shot my Remington 870...

Sporting clays separates the men from the boys. I'm not blowing any smoke by saying this. I was amazed!

Jesse:D

3. Thanks, a couple more questions......

Can you recommend a barrel length? Is there a minimum length allowed? I've got a short 18 inch barrel and want to know if I need or have to get a longer one. So I quess the question is what is the optimal length? How many shells can I expect to fire? Man I'm just full of questions, can you tell I've never done this before. Many thanks again.:D

4. BigJake

BigJake G&G Regular

Dallas, I am limited in time but I will write more soon. First of all yes an 870 is fine, and enjoy yourself

5. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future--many thanks.

6. ike

ike G&G Newbie

Jesse,
    I know of no course out there with a "triple." The stations are set up with singles (optional full use of gun), report pairs, following pairs, or true pairs. There is NEVER a situation where three birds as a combination are thrown on a station. Yes, there are many times when they will throw a single and then a pair, but that is not considered to be a "triple".

7. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Right you are... I stand corrected. The only triples I shot during a clays course was a criss cross, left-right pattern on a delay for the last clay bird which was a small black one. So this would be considered a double and a single...I'm sorry. The course stations were customized and not "official", but nevertheless fun. Doubles in one direction and a delay followed by a single in the opposite direction. I was young at the time and like I said this was not an "official" course, just one they had set up for fun and a challenge. I never saw anyone that day hit the last clay bird... too fast and really hard to change direction. This is the station where I used my Remington 870... The jackrabbit was also one of the hardest things to hit I've ever seen.

Jesse :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2002
  8. live2hunt

live2hunt G&G Newbie

i would recommend getting into clays. try it out with your 870, it is designed to simulate hunting situations, so why not use a hunting gun. now, if you like it and get into it, you may well want to look into different guns depending on what you are comfortable with, but our first time out, take a gun you will be comfortable with.

9. Thanks.......

...for the info. I think I will give it a try. One question still not answered, what is the optimal barrel length for clays? And how many shells should I have on hand for the day?:D

10. BigJake

BigJake G&G Regular

Dallas

Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I was on a timed pay internet service on vacation. those things are annoying.
    The Barrel length is up to preference, I tend to use anything over 20" . if you Have adjustable choke, try and find your groove.
    and just to state in Jesse's defence,I have shot lots of sporting clay rounds and a few matches, and I have seen more than 2 clays thrown , in the air, and 2 in the air and one on the ground.

I will be here if you have anymore questions, I think I am going to get back into it when the weather warms up. (Paintball is too expensive and I stink at Golf)

This is a great sport.

:D

11. Big Jake

Big Jake,
    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of getting a barrel over 20 inches so I could use it for hunting, so that works out well. Funny you should mention golf, I'm terrible at it too. That's why I decided to get a shotgun and try something new. When the weather gets a little nicer I'll find a place to shoot and see how I do. I'll let you know what happens, if you hear about a guy from around D.C. that blew his foot off with his new shotrgun you'll know who it is....hahaha (sure hope not) :p

Thanks again.

12. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    Dallas,
    I'd suggest a 26" or 28" barrel length for sporting. If your going to hunt with it also, then the 26" would be my choice. If your buying the new bbl anyway, get one with choke tubes, sk, IC, & mod, will cover 99% of all the shots with the IC being the best compromise.

I'd also suggest starting a savings acct. because if you get hooked the dedicated autoloader or O/U won't be far away. LOL!
    Have fun!

Dave375

13. BigJake

BigJake G&G Regular

Barrel length

I need to agree with mr H&H magnum.....
    a 26 is a good length, 20 inches would be pretty short but I did not steer you wrong. I was thinking about my reply today as I was reading a remington catolog. I would like to personally own a 20 inch barrel on an 870 but for home defence.

Yes a 26 should do nicely...

How is everything coming along?

I haven't been able to get out to a "slinger",but I hope to soon.

14. Hi BigJake,

I haven't yet gone out to try the shotgun, at least not for sporting clays. I'll let you know.

15. BigJake

BigJake G&G Regular

me neither, the only thing I have had time for was to shoot a dog with .45 cci ratshot. But that is the closest I came to sporting clays.

(My bitch was in heat, and the male dog was growling at my pregnant wife. I am not cruel to animals, but next time I will just have to go through the inconvenience of digging a deep hole.)

16. Dallas, let me see if I can answer the questions that these men are having a hard time with! Just kidding guys!! First of all there is a tremendous difference in the sports; they require completely different equipment and levels of skill. Skeet involes clay targets that are ejected from right to left. Starting with a high house single then a low house single then a pair is thrown and you move around a half moon course. This sport demands a wide shot pattern, so you will want to use a 26" or 28" barrel semi-auto or pump shotgun 2 3/4 8 is good. In Trap the targets go out in front of the shooter 5 stations 5 shots on each and a very tight shot pattern is used. You need a 30" to 34' barrel full choke or modified so you can reach out and BLAST them!! I like shooting 870 pump for trap also O/U SKB model 500 but it is really a hunting gun with a field stock, but I am one with this gun! My Trap gun is a Beretta 34" with a shorter barrel for doubles! Now, with sporting clays these are simulated game birds. You shoot 5 shots on each station and change chokes, moving from station to station. Some will be incoming and outgoing and doubles.Birds like green heads, doves on high, rock pigeons ETC. So you need to have a shorter barrel you can swing easy, with the birds on high you can use a full choke to Blast them. I would not use a 30" barrel for sporting clays. I hope I have given you some insight. Whatever 12 ga. you decide upon using, just remember your hand eye coordination and focus shooting where your gun shoots. Pattern it first so you will know if you have to shot 2 inches below the bird or if your shooting a flat shooting gun so you will shoot dead on!! Have fun Blasting!! MissSharpShooter

17. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    misssharpshooter,
    Welcome aboard. your enthusiam is refreshing but you facts are a little suspect.
    Skeet doubles are only thrown on sta 1, 2, 6, and 7. The O/U's are the most widly used guns. The most popular load is 2 3/4dr. 9's.
    Sporting Clays don't always shoot 5 shots per sta. it can vari from 4 to 12 depending on the course set up and number of targets in the program. You will also find that longer barrels are the norm rather that the exception, check the equipment used by the various state and national champions and you won't find any short barrels. Long barrels help maintain the swing of the gun which is more important than a quick start. The Ohio state mens champ(7 years in a row) uses an 870 with a 34"bbl. and The three time defending womens champ uses a 30" brng. O/U. She and her husband are friends, neighbors, and shooting buddys of mine.

Dave375

18. Rooster

Rooster G&G Newbie

Sporting clays is set up to mirror hunting type situations. There are 25 stations and 100 birds. Check out some of the shotgun sport websites for more info. In as much its ment to mirror hunting I advise to get a hunting length barrel. 18 or 20 might me a might on the slim side. Most stations are set up as either bird (qual/grouse) or duck scenarios.
    Also you may want to try Trap and skeet to get a little warm-up with the new gun and wring it out.
    Also I use my 870 and 1100 and they break birds just as good as the high dollar guns.
    Good Shooting.

19. Dear Dave fellow shooter, YES, YOU are correct about doubles on station 1, 2, 6, and 7. I stated shooting with skeet and out here we use 26 to 28" BARRELS FOR SKEET. For TRAP we use 32 to 36" barrels. Believe it or not I have shot the best Trap with a 28" barrel...I was one with this gun it fit me so well, it was like a part of me. One thing I have learned, the hard way is everyone gives advise...the best thing for a shooter is to try different guns, see how they fit, pattern them to see where they shoot...and BLAST, BLAST, BLAST> I come from a Law enforcement family and got my first rifle when I was 6 years old. I have been shooting all my life, even went to Front Site to shoot full auto's......so guns and shooting are just not my hobbies it is a way of life to me. I came on board to talk guns and chat with fellow shooters. Thank- you for making me feel so welcome, by responding to my post. We all exchange ideas, and enjoy the freedoms we have to be able to keep and secure our gun rights. These forums should be fun and informative.I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents and get involved in some gun chat.... not get raked over the coals!! Miss S