close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can you beleive what someone did to this stock and spring?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Stock Doc, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

?????????????????????????????

Rick B

[​IMG]

2. Armorer

Armorer Guest

3. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

And the Butt oh these darn hack's, how's a guy supposed to clean his rifle with no holes? Wheres the holes I-yi-yi.

Rick B.

[​IMG]

4. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Oh my Lord! Nobody ever said you had to be smart to own a gun. Perfect example.

5. DocCombat

DocCombat G&G Newbie

FBNC
    Rick, It's kind of hard to count the coils in the pic but if the coils wire has a square shape like it appears in the picture and has 55 coils it could be a compensation spring used in early production Springfeild Garands from start of production#70,000 to #79,000. And in the earliest Winchesters to #110,000, and would of been left in the white metal configuration like it appears in the picture. And it appears to be a Type 1 production buttplate drawing#C41012 used in Springfeilds from start of production to#70,000 ,and in Winchestersto circa #160,000 on this rifle. This plate will have the lack of the trap for the cleaning kit and have the reinforcing holes that are present around the screw holes. You have some very nice early Garand parts there.

6. I have a 57,### that I would like to get as close as possible within my budget. Are you or is your customer willing to trade parts & get $ for the older stuff. Have limited funds, thought I would ask..

7. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

I was wondering when someone would catch on to my fun & games? You are right Doc C it is a early Winchester # 434 and only shame is the reparked butt plate but beggars can't be chooser's. The stock is one of the first hand carved ones when Winchester hadn't gotten the lathes up and running yet. I know of 3 of these that survived so far. This stock sat from a WWII rebuild period until I got it. It is one of the Barn stocks as they are called.
    Shaddowone dont know anyone willing to give up any early parts for cheap and it takes allot to trade. The early stocks are hard to find and expensive but are out there. AS for the Keystone Springs and type 1 rod Tony Giocobbe has the {reproduction}set up for $175.00. The dont operate like the originals since there is a specific way to make the tension on the springs and no one has produced this yet. I have been told you have to cut the spring from Tony to open the bolt all the way and it will fire singles only and you have to manually operated next round. Some have gotten them to work I heard also. He is at address below and tell him Rick B sent you. Thanks,,Rick B

http://www.garandguy.com/

Last edited: Jul 20, 2002
  8. I will wait it out. Seen little early stuff on Ebay but way too pricy for me. For now it can sit in the safe. Maybe someone will make a get it out of my safe type of offer. Thanks for the info. For now, I'm just replacing parts I find at the shows and such... During my trigger group problem I found an early trigger so I swapped it and put it in the 57, same thing with a lockbar sight... I'm a shooter that has a collection. Not a collector that shoots... - if that makes cents...