Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of an estate: unknown Enfield. Found heavily greased, in and out. Storage 40 years +/-. Missing a few parts. Looks like No1 Mk3 action, sporterized stock? Marking unlike any I have seen on the internet. Barrel length and front sight: different. Post war clone? BSA? African, Australian? I have no idea actually. The rear sight has 0265 on post and 65 on slide. Also on post small small mark looks like oval circle with an H in it (small V indent on top of oval) (Too small for pic). Mark on bottom of trigger guard illegible. Marking on magazine also posted but mag may not be original.

Pics show all the markings - Have a look at:

Photobucket Login

Any input appreciated. THANKS!!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
From what I can tell from pics, looks like a standard Mark III missing firing pin and charger bridge missing from top of receiver (no rivets) what does wrist strap read if legable (right side)?

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Parts gun disaster (?)

This may be a failed attempt to build a gun
from a hodgepodge of leftover parts that
just never reached completion. Sometimes
that does occur and my best advice is
1. slug the barrel (get a gunsmith to do this if you do not know how) to get an accurate measure as
the British government during WW2 did accept
bores up to .311 due to the need to get out a lot
of guns (the .311 comes from the NRA - not me).
this is not acceptable if you want to hunt or target shoot with the .303 cartridge.
2. if the bore diameter and the condition of the bore is acceptable you might wish to complete the gun. this forum or publications such as Shotgun
News can get you on the path to those who can help you. of course, you can also search for a better barrel if you wish to take this route.

On the upside, properly barreled and completed this is a great gun to have in your collection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no info on the wrist strap. Not even a trace. The only mark that stands out is the big Y with the little DZ that is to the left of the rear or the bolt (as well as the J and serial number). I am going to take nathangdad advice and get it checked out. Is it difficult to re-attatch the charger bridge (for a gunsmith)??

Plus it appears to have mauser 98 sights on it. Thanks so far for the info.

At least it does have matching numbers on the bolt handle, receiver and barrel......

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
If it doesnt have any OA,BA,MA markings on it and doesnt have lithgow on the action starp its most likely not a lithgow (aussie rifle).Too tell you the truth mate the pics didnt load onto my computer.But it looks like a hunka to me.

Nothing wrong with a 303 having a barrel slugged for .311.I run .312 jacketed projies through mine like nearly all other 303 i have come across.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,358 Posts
It looks like someone bought a Mark III with a poor stock, threw the stock away and turned what was left into a project gun; and somewhere along the line lost some of the parts. It it were me, I'd locate replacement parts and turn it into a shooter. It doesn't look like it would be that difficult.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Numrich Gunparts have charger bridges in the white without rivets, any qualifield gunsmith shouldn't have any problems doing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First of all hello to all. Just joined this site. I just purchased a Winchester 1917. The rifle is been altered and half fast butchered, so I will be sportsterizing it. I already ordered a sportster stock from The Legacy Continues... and I will be looking for a scope mount soon. I noticed that the rear sight been machined off for probably the scope mount. I took it out last weekend for a few test shots and it did well at 50 yards with open sights. Anyone can tell me what mount was this machined down for? Any help would be appreciated. Here are some pictures of the rifle 1917 Winchester Enfield

1 - 8 of 8 Posts