Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So twice today i have read that you cant shoot lead projectiles in a Glock. Is this true? If so, Why?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
You can shoot them, but the lead builds up in the polygonal rifling something fierce. Higher velocities are worse of course, but, the simple fact is, any gun with polygonal rifling is not a good candidate for lead bullets unless you have a friend who is obssesive\compulsive about clean guns.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
To add to toolman's dead-on post, the lead build-up can cause higher and higher pressures as you shoot, which can lead to a kB!

Lead reloads and double-charges are the purported main culprits in the kB!'s that have been reported of GLOCKs.

If you want to shoot lead, just get a land-and-groove replacement barrel from Lone Wolf Distributors. They have some pretty nice, low-cost replacements and even have ones with threading for muzzle attachements.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Yes, and there is a good method for it

Yes, of course you can shoot lead projectiles in
a Glock. There is a very well known old time method
developed for the Colt .45 auto to do this.

At the bottom (last to be fired) of your magazine
put a standard copper clad bullet. Above this,
load your lead bullets. The last bullet fired from
a magazine (the copper clad) will go through a
warm barrel and clean out the lead deposited from
your earlier rounds.

This really does work. I learned about it many
years ago.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
some glock barrels are very prone to lead fouling, others dont seem to be bothered by it. ive seen thousands of rounds of lead put thru glock barrels, but it is still a better idea to get a cut rifled replacement barrel.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,693 Posts
I've been told, by Glock owners, that using lead bullets (non-jacketed) will void the warranty.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I've been told, by Glock owners, that using lead bullets (non-jacketed) will void the warranty.
This is because it is very explicit in the manual that it will do so.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
just about every manufacturer states somewhere in their manual that the use of reloaded ammunition will void the warranty.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just-a-car: My Glock has not such mention of lead voiding the warrentee in the owners manual, i am suprised that yours states such. Mine was made in 1992.

I reload but shoot jacketed bullets, I don't ignore reports of Kabooms of Glocks but I try and stay safe. I like my hands the way they are.

Lefty. A blanket statement about reloaded ammo in my owners manuals shows some mix.
For instance in a Ruger manual: ...improper or incorrect ammunition can destroy a gun and cause serious personal injury.....Handloaded or reloaded ammunition deviating from pressures generated by reputable handloading manuals can be dangerous and can cause severe damaged to guns and serious injury to the shooter. Do Not use improper reloads or ammunition made of unknown components.
Glock: ...4. No liability whatsoever can be accepted from inexpertly manufactured or inexpertly filled ammuntion ....

Hipoint: (They can void warrantee for using) Use of ammunition other than orginal high quality commercially manufactured ammuntion, IN GOOD CONDITION....(Note: HiPoint does have a no questions asked warrentee. whether you are the first or 8th owner of a weapon. I shoot almost exclusively hand loads and they work great. I don't load that strong usually. But the weapons are rated +p+ at least in 9mm. I don't think that there is such a thing in 40 (my guess that a 40 is at least +p) or 45 but it is nice to know.

I am sure that some manufacturers have a lot of Lawyers on their staffs and have comments on using untested ammo. Probably mostly from the east.

Back to Glock...The rifling is pretty unique. Little ridges running down the barrel. I wasn't sure what was meant by the rifling till I layed eyes on it.

Nathansdad has a good idea. Obviously I've never tried it. I have 40 which were one of the worst for Kabooms according to internet lore. Still mine has never misfired nor done anything but go boom and shoot hot, jacketed lead bullets at what I intending to shoot at.

I don't want a new non-glock barrel for my classic handgun. If it were better then Mr. Glock (?) would have used it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts