Can't be a Christian and be a Pilot?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by MangesMade, Mar 18, 2002.

1. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

First and up front ..."This is not a joke".
    A man told me today that none of the Major Airlines would allow a Christian to be a Pilot. The Airlines can't afford the liability should the Rature take place, a Christian pilot would be taken to be with the Lord and the plane would cash!
    Anybody ever heard of this? Is Anybody a Pilot for one of the Major Airlines?

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Sure sounds like a joke to me. I have met pilots who seemed to be Christians, though I don't recall actually discussing it. Anyway, there are 3 guys up front who can drive the plane. I would not be surprised if some of the other flight crew were given some emergency landing training.

3. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

Klaus, this man was serious, he's a friend, a Christian, and an intelligent person. If it would have been anyone else telling me that, I would probably have laughed at them. Not about the Rapture or the Pilot being taken away. I just find it hard to believe the Airline's would even consider such an event could happen.

4. Makes Sense

That makes as much sense as anything else I hear these days. What goes up must come down. If the pilot should be caught up in the rapture, it's as sure as hell he's not going to be able to complete the assignment. The outcome would be interesting to say the least.

5. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

I'm glad we won't be around to find!!! Hope and Pray, keep my fingers crossed!!!!!

6. Tinman

Tinman G&G Newbie

Thats not true! My brother in law is a pilot and hes a Christain.
    Where did you pick up this false story. Besides you cannot refuse to hire anyone because of their religion, or lack of religion.
    Tinman:p

7. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Maybe this is part of my total lack of knowledge of religous issues but when they refer to Rapture are they talking the mile high club -- thought the board could use a laugh this morning

8. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

Try Higher than a Mile Club!!!

9. Uncle Red

Uncle Red G&G Newbie

OH MAN!! That means that Christians can't drive cars or operate heavy machinery, or be doctors and operate on anyone. And forget about being an air traffic controller or working at a nuclear power plant, or...
    Sounds like someone pulled on your leg REALLY HARD!(hope it didn't hurt)
    I did get a good chuckle out of it though. -UR.

10. This probably is a joke, but can't Human Rights be rejected ie. freedom of religion etc. be forgone if they interfere with the ability to safely carry out ones job,or in the interest of public health and safety?
    Fella here had to shave off his beard t work in bakery, another couldn't work in an egg processing plant, as his turban was not sterile, etc.
    Just wondering if the laws were similiar.

11. Ok you think it is a joke the laugh is on you. I assume the airline knows something that you don't. Some of you guys understand the others don't. Oh well what else is new. How about Out Of This World Club.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2002
  12. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

For the record, not all Christians interpret the Bible as saying that Christians will physically disappear from the world all at once in what modern theology calls the Rapture (the word is NOT in the Bible) as portrayed in the Left Behind film and books (which I believe prompted this post).
    I for one wouldn't mind painlessly ending up with God, but I'm still paying the mortgage on my house (figuratively, I can't afford that for a while.) In the meantime, I'll hope to see more Christian films, but wish they'd pick a central theme that wasn't a center for controversy within the Church.

13. 1) The Revelation of St. John (aka Revelation, the Apocalypse of St. John, etc.) is the most controversial book in the Canon. It has nearly gotten the axe several times. Many prominent Christian thinkers have all but completely rejected it. Martin Luther did not want to include it in the Protestant Canon, but he eventually relented.

2) As others pointed out, the word "rapture" (actually the koine Greek version of the word) never appears in any context.

3) If one assumes that the Apocalypse of St. John describes the culmination of Providence correctly, it is totally irrelevant. Everyone still faces the Final Judgement, etc.

4) The entire mechanistic view that people will suddenly disappear, while God just lets planes crash, etc. reeks of Deism. This completely misrepresents the entire nature and purpose of the Trinitarian God.

(It was some kind of sick joke, anyway.)

14. BattleRifleG3

It's not the legitimacy of Revelation that is generally debated within the Church, but how to interpret it. And of course there's always translation and cultural context.

15. As a former minister and seminary student, I can say: its legitimacy and inspiration has been questioned since the 3rd century. Even the Nicene Council almost gave it the axe.

Canon/Apocrypha is my area of specialization.

16. Oxford

Oxford Retired Moderator

The facts disprove the validy of the statement

MangesMade: Can't speak for the credibility of the person who told you that, "none of the Major Airlines would allow a Christian to be a Pilot", but the facts prove otherwise.

I have two pilot friends that recently retired (in good standing) from the former TWA airlines who were both captains and active christians. You've got some misinformation which should be discarded because it isn't factual.

What it has done, though, is to open up a dialogue of religious discussion.

Oxford:nod:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2002
  17. Battle Rifle G3,

I re-read your post:

"It's not the legitimacy of Revelation that is generally debated within the Church, but how to interpret it."

That is correct. At the same time, its legitimacy and inspiration has been questioned more than all other Canonical works combined. It has been controversial ever since early proto-Canons emerged in the second and third centuries AD. Interestingly enough, the Muratorian Fragment DOES list the Apocalypse of St. John (Revelation) as authoritative.

Most Canonical books (except Revelation) were never seriously questioned until the late nineteenth century. Even then, it is usually more of a question of attribution. For example, did Paul actually write Ephesians?

Often, this is done to discredit the message contained therein; that is, the analysis merely serves some agenda. I find this all fascinating for its own sake. For example, having read Ephesians in the koine, I think it is obvious that the same man did not write both Ephesians and Romans. Not only are the theologies very different; the actual style, skill, and vocabulary are completely incompatible.

At the same time, I do not doubt that Ephesians WAS divinely inspired. Its inspiration is not dependent on its attribution. Also, the conventions of attribution were very different in the ancient world. It was customary for a student to write in the name of the teacher, if the ideas contained therein were really the teacher's.

This is all very interesting to me, but it has very little to do with the Christian FAITH.

(Man, I'm going to change my screen-name to "Sidetracker.")

18. I think the the possibility and cost of anti discrimination suits alone would be enough to prevent the airlines from this practice. It would also mean that someone would have to ask the person this question in an interview which is one of the questions you don't ask.

19. If the Left Behind series is behind this then why did it take this long for the airlines to react? I don't think so. Rapture no it doesn't appear in the New Testament--Sooo. But look up the meaning and original text. I ain't going to do it for you. For you non believers I would be concerned about flying on a plane that has a christian pilot.

20. BattleRifleG3

Just for clarification, I didn't say I believed that such a Rapture wouldn't happen. I'm just not counting on it. God knows what He's going to do, but I know enough to know that I don't.