Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just bought a highpoint carbine, but I'm already on the hunt for something new. I'm either going to get an SKS or an AK-47, you know, some of the old soviet block war horses. Either way I plan on getting some bolt-ons (synthetic stocks, optics, foregrip, etc.) less so on the AK. I would just like to have a reliable, decently accurate high-cap semi that I can play around with, customize, you know, make it my own. I know that an SKS will accept a high-capacity magazine, and I've taken that into consideration. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
935 Posts
You're better off going with the AK if you want reliability with high capacity.

SKS's are notoriously unreliable with high cap mags.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The SKS is a good rifle. It will likely be more accurate than the average AK. But, if you are looking for high capacity, go with the AK. It will be accurate enough and looks much better with accessories. To me, SKS is best left original. The AK is the more versatile of the two. SKS's are not that expensive <$200. A good AK is going to cost ya around $500 min. I really like the Yugo AK's (M 70) that are out know.

You could get both!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ash has the rights of it--SKS hi-cap mags are not the best idea if you really want hi-cap mags. The SKS was never really designed for a detachable mag, so you run into fit/function issues quite a lot (so has been my observation).

AK's are much more reliable for hi-cap, being designed that way originally. Plus, you can find as many aftermarket goodies for them as you probably would ever want.

You can get a WASR-10 from AIM for $320 + shipping + ffl transfer. Not a bad price for a 'starter' AK.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
A-10, SOG has Romanian AK for 289$ find a dealer that's willing to do a transfer for you for about 20$ and order one from SOG and have it sent to the dealer's license, or have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I just looked at the $289 SOG AK. It is an assault weapons ban model with no muzzle break or bayonet lug. Not sure about mag capacity either. If you can't afford the Yugo, at least get the $329 WASR-10 version at SOG. It has all the "evil" stuff on it.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
With a screen name like A-10, this is what you need.
GAU-8 Avenger

BTW, the "HOG" is my favorite aerospace vehicle. Worked them for 7 years E&E.
+1!!!

The thunderbolt II has been my favorite airplane for years *thinks* it's been at least 11 years now that I can verifiably say that; I did a big report on them in Freshman year in highschool (oops, dated myself). Ya just can't beat 1000+ round per minute of 30mm DU!!!

I've got some awesome pictures of the A-10's in the boneyard down in Tuscon, AZ when I visited Phoenix on business. They're ugly... but it's a beautiful ugly.

And, just to finish off: 1 inch thick titanium tub - good to .50 caliber hit; triple redundancy - wire, electronic and hydraulic; decades of being mothballed and brought back, over and over; 30mm of low-and-slow, tank-busting, Butt-kicking, enemy-self-defecating machine! Ooo-RAH!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I saw a video of one of those a-10's on the discovery channel taxing in from a mission, it looked like swiss cheese and when it stopped the front gear fell off. tough airplanes they are.

I also saw one up close at an airshow, they sorta have the mosin appeal to them they aren't pretty but they get the job done and are almost indestructible.:scool:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I saw a video of one of those a-10's on the discovery channel taxing in from a mission, it looked like swiss cheese and when it stopped the front gear fell off. tough airplanes they are.

I also saw one up close at an airshow, they sorta have the mosin appeal to them they aren't pretty but they get the job done and are almost indestructible.:scool:
+1... again!

They're cute like a pug. ;)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
+1!!!

The thunderbolt II has been my favorite airplane for years *thinks* it's been at least 11 years now that I can verifiably say that; I did a big report on them in Freshman year in highschool (oops, dated myself). Ya just can't beat 1000+ round per minute of 30mm DU!!!

I've got some awesome pictures of the A-10's in the boneyard down in Tuscon, AZ when I visited Phoenix on business. They're ugly... but it's a beautiful ugly.

And, just to finish off: 1 inch thick titanium tub - good to .50 caliber hit; triple redundancy - wire, electronic and hydraulic; decades of being mothballed and brought back, over and over; 30mm of low-and-slow, tank-busting, Butt-kicking, enemy-self-defecating machine! Ooo-RAH!
Try 3900 rounds per minute. Also, an A-10 crew chief was telling me that tub will stop a direct hit with 105 mm howitzer.

A-10, how do you like that Highpoint? I've been thinking about picking one up. Looks like a fun little gun.
No real problems so far. It's kind of difficult to disassemble, but otherwise, that little carbine is a tack driver. Just wish I could put more than 10 rounds in at a time. Good luck finding one, though. Pretty high demand. I had to search high and low. Guess I should have just waited for the next gun show.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
You gotta love any aircraft that uses trees for cover!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
A-10,

The SKS is a good gun and there are alot of different stocks being
made for them now to dress them up if you like and they are more
accurate do to the longer barrel they were not originally designed
with a removable magazine in mind, much less a high cap one. All
of the high cap mags made for them seem to have some problem
whether it is feeding, jamming, or just getting it into and staying
in the gun. Most metal ones are cheaply made and often take bending
or trimming to make them work. I actually liked the plastic mags a
little better but they're still not perfect. Some gunsmiths have
modified the feedwell to accept AK mags and this is said to work
much better but is a pricey conversion.

The AK-47 is a much better rifle IMOHO with a worldwide reputation
as probably the most reliable weapon ever made. While not the best
choice for long range shooting they will consistently expend lead down
range without jamming. Mags are plentiful and range from 5 to 100 round
capacity in both surplus and new manufacture. All kinds of furniture is
made for them too and I see more every time I search, there are also
alot of new rails and scopemounts available now. Make it as evil looking
as you want.

I'd go for the AK in a heartbeat!
My two pennies are on the table.

PS I have one of those HI-POINT rifles also, great little carbines, only
two gripes, the ten round mag (although I just recently saw a 15
available), and the thin plastic stock vibrates your cheek numb when
shooting. Thought about the stock made by ATI but just don't want
to put that much into it!

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Welcome A-10! FWIW, if you look around a bit, there is a factory original version of the SKS that uses AK mags. Personally, with stripper clips I see no need for the awkward extended mags-they just get in the way unless your're just shooting off-hand or from the hip. The SKS will usually put the AK to shame in the accuracy dept. but there aren't as many accessories available and many that are are sub-standard quality. Accessory quality can be an issue with AK's as well. They are both what they are, try them both out and see what you think.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
by the time you are done dressing up a sks with all the goodies you could have almost enough into it to have gotten a wasr-10 AND a sks!

·
Registered
504 Posts
If your looking for hi cap then get the AK first, but do yourself a favor and get an SKS when you can. The SKS is a fantastic rifle with the original Magazine. I've had a couple of steel mags. in the past, both USA brand. Had to bend the metal tab and file the feed lips just to get them in the gun. Feeding was a bad joke, either the bolt would miss the round, or the round would hit beside the chamber and drive the slug back in the shell. I messed around with these about a month and finally beat them flat with a hammer so I would stop wasting time on them. I've heard of others having good luck with them but I haven't seen it myself. That's $50.00 down a rat hole.:34:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts