Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what size allen wrench do you need to remove the synthetic stock off of a Savage 110? I've gone through my two full sets of wrenches and haven't found even a close fit yet. I feel like a moron.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Metric??

could be, everything these days seems to be.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
They're Allen head screws but not in a common size. I've found a T-25, 27, or possibly 30 Torx bit fits pretty well. Sorry I can't remember which one it is and I don't have any of them with me to try, but the one that fits works fine.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Toolman is right,the torx bit will work.Be sure not to over-tighten when putting it back together.I think it is a T-25.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I'll have to pick up a set of torx.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the savage 12 VLP in 22-250. The screw heads ARE Allen type. The wrench wouldn't fit on the forward bolt, which was machined improperly,so it got damaged. Savage sent me a new screw, but it was .070 too long which interfered with bolt closure.Instead of trying to file it down and ruin the threads, I took a small brass washer from an Easton hunting arrow tip(weight) and filed all around the OD untill it was flush with the screw head OD and used that as the spacer! The wrench I use is .153 " or 3.87 mm. Like 270 WSM said, don't overtighten! Good luck ! Oh, my Savage shoots great! Rod

1 - 7 of 7 Posts