Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm new here but I thought you guys could help out. I've been in the market for a new red dot scope for the last few months and after considering a few brands I finally got one I liked - Holosun HS403A Micro.

Does anyone have any experience with Holosun? I know they are one of the more popular brands out there. I've posted this in a few other groups as well asking for help.

I have no complaints with it, it's great for low light, waterproof and it isn't too expensive. The only problem is the damn thing won't stay securely fit.

After about 3-4 weeks of use it becomes slightly loose. I attempted to contact Holosun but got no response. Right now, I'm thinking of using Loctite to secure it a bit better - as per a suggestion on Gun News Daily - https://gunnewsdaily.com/best-red-dot-sights/

Anyways, I'm not sure if anyone here can help me out but do you find this to be an issue in general with AR-15 scopes? Should I just keeping tightening the screws or try something else?

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
130 Posts
Yeah sometimes things can't stay screwed, loctite stuff will do the trick. JUST DO IT! HURRY UP. START OFF WITH JUST A DROP OF THE BLUE STUFF ON EACH SCREW AND THAT WILL PROLLY BE ENOUGH. The screws or screw holes prolly arn't being as snug as they should so some of that stuff will make it so there's some more stuff for the threads to lock into

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I use the purple Loctite for small screws.

Reactions: TXplt

·
Super Moderator
16,866 Posts
When you say it comes loose, is the optic coming loose in the mount or is the mount coming lose to the upper receiver?

And yes... what everyone else said. you should always use a drop of blue locktite on any mounting accessories. ;)

Reactions: jwrauch and TXplt

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,312 Posts
I use Blue Loctite. Holds secure, but easily removed if needed. Just avoid the Red Loctite!

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,583 Posts
Yup. Loctite.

Recoil does screwy things. Over time it will jar just about anything loose.

I have a holosun on an MP-15/22 in a different location. It's a decent sight, but mine is the old model where you have to dismount it to change the battery. Not so good, but the batt is supposedly good to 5 years.

This has been true for my mounts as well as small screws in a Ruger LCR (notably the cylinder latch screw), grip screws, castle nut screws, you name it. They all come loose if not locktited or staked.

Some of the Magpul stuff and keymod stuff comes with pre-treated screws which seem to stay in place OK.

Loctite seems to work very well. I use blue; some use purple. Red is for something you don't want to get off without heating it.

And even still I check the mount is secure; if it's a nut or twist type screws that are larger I also give pencil marks or sharpie marks so I know if it's drifting relative to the index.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
You never said how you had it mounted to your AR. A photo will be worth a 1000 words and will give us a reference point.

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
Holosun makes a good product that being said each company always has a a few lemons. By Googling your model I came up with a review on thefirearmsblog. the link is http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/10/08/unsuitable-range-holosun-review/

In which is states

Holosun B Issue 1: The mounting base shook loose. As part of my SAP6 project I set up the sight and took it out into the backwoods in winter to zero. After the second magazine of slugs failed to produce a group (this is Canada, so 10 rounds total downrange) I realized the mount had loosened enough for the optic to slide back and forth. You could argue this is my own fault for not torquing hard enough on the star key, as I wasn’t keen on scratching a second optic right away. But what was tight became loose, and I had to go home disappointed.
Apparently it has issues with the optic coming loose in the mount and the mount deforming after very little use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts