close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cant let God in school can we..Oh brother.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, May 21, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Wayland, Michigan-AP -- The school board in Wayland, Michigan, has told The Gideons International to stop the annual practice of giving free Bibles to fifth-graders.

The Wayland Union Schools superintendent initially planned to allow the distribution to students whose parents gave written permission.

But he reversed course and asked the Gideons to cancel the Bible giveaway after the American Civil Liberties Union threatened to file a lawsuit.

Local members of the Gideons expressed disappointment, and said they're unsure if they'll seek other ways to give Bibles to youngsters.

Copyright 2002 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

2. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I think we were better off when prayers were allowed.

Doglips:

That's an interesting article.

On the surface it seems that there's no problem with the Gidions proposal. However, where do you draw the line in the separation of religion and state?

For most of my younger years in grade school classes started with the pledge of alligience and a prayer. Then Madoline Murrey interfered and there's been dissention on this subject every since because of U.S Supreme Court rulings. Don't think any harm was done and lots of good may have been done with the prayers.

One problem, among many, with allowing prayers in schools is the issue of who to pray to. With all the immigrants integrated into our schools today someone gets offended no matter who you pray to.

The issues are many on this subject but my gut feeling is that we were better off when prayers were allowed.

Oxford

:nod:

3. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I have a strange opion on this...I was raised catholic..was even a lay leader for a time....since my grandmother was Jewish I returned to the synagog for a few years back in 1990...not impressed I studied a lot of world religons...sent my kids to a Baptist school and decided that God just is and quit worring about What God is called... I just think that if as in this artical people want to provide bibles..toras .. korans ect...and have the parents permission to do so then let them. I see thinks like th pledge of alegence in school is a good thing....
    Maybe it is time that we return to the so called good old days of family values.....I centenly cant see how our society could go to heck in a hand basket any faster than were all ready are.

4. Someone sent me this a while back I think it sums up things pretty well.

Since the Pledge of Allegiance and The Lord's Prayer are not allowed in most public schools anymore because the word "God" is mentioned...
    a kid in Arizona wrote the attached NEW School prayer. I liked it...

Now I sit me down in school
    Where praying is against the rule
    For this great nation under God
    Finds mention of Him very odd.
    If Scripture now the class recites,
    It violates the Bill of Rights.
    And anytime my head I bow
    Becomes a Federal matter now.

Our hair can be purple, orange or green,
    That's no offense; it's a freedom scene.
    The law is specific, the law is precise.
    Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

For praying in a public hall
    Might offend someone with no faith at all.
    In silence alone we must meditate,
    God's name is prohibited by the state.

We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,
    And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks.
    They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.
    To quote the Good Book makes me liable.

We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,
    And the 'unwed daddy,' our Senior King.
    It's "inappropriate" to teach right from wrong,
    We're taught that such "judgments" do not belong.

We can get our condoms and birth controls,
    Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.
    But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
    No word of God must reach this crowd.

It's scary here I must confess,
    When chaos reigns the school's a mess.
    So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
    Should I be shot; My soul please take!

Amen

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Once again, I wish to remind people that there is no speration of church and state in the Constitution. The first ammendment is quite clear about what it means. If distributing bibles to students after school with the parents permission is construed as the state establishing a religion, then they better get rid of anything put out by nature worshoping ecofreaks and radical atheists. And they DARNED well better get rid of that Islam crap in the PRK schools.

6. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

ONCE WE NO LONGER POSTED THE 10 COMMANDMENTS IN SCHOOL AND NO LONGER PLEDGED ALLEGIANCE TO OUR FLAG IS WHEN ALL OUR PROBLEMS STARTED. KIDS HAVE NOTHING TO FOLLOW OR BE PROUD OF. KIDS LOVE THEIR SPORTS HEROES MORE THAN GOD ALMIGHTY OR THEIR FAMILYS OR THEMSELVES. A COUNTRY WHO TURNS THERE BACK ON GOD IS A DOOMED COUNTRY AND WILL BE PUNISHED,GOD HELP US AND THANKS FOR A GOD LOVING PRESIDENT IN OFFICE RIGHT NOW!

7. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

What makes me mad is how people demand welfare to spend as they see fit with no regard to religion, while caring for the poor is ultimately a religious value. What it boils down to is that the government has become people's religion by the false gospel that government provides for us and that we owe all work, belongings, and obedience to the government.

8. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

This statement is completely religiously biased, but it's what I believe to the end:
    I believe our founding fathers made sure we had religious freedom because they knew full well that God's will WILL be done, no matter who tries to stand in His way. They saw what happened to the greatest army in the world when they didn't recognize the dignity that He created us with. So they made sure that the government couldn't stand in the way of God's work, for the government's sake. Now that our religious freedom laws have been perverted to suppress people from serving God, there will be a harsh reality check coming. Look at how much people are fleeing from the public schools. People with hardly any money are still paying for their kids to attend private schools. State run colleges are degenerating and private colleges are rising in reputation. If the schools know what's good for them, they'll get out of God's way and let Him do His work.

9. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

AMEN BROTHER, AMEN!

10. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Sep of church and state

As it pertains to the US constitution the government cannot endorse or support any one religion over another, ie... establish a national religion.
    This is pure bs as the distribution was to be voluntary. However who really reads those things. I bet 99.9 percent get tossed in the closet or in the trash. I bet there are better ways they could spend the money. Just giving out a bible is not going to convert anyone. If the parents want their kids to have a bible so they can read it then they are more likely to have one already and go to church as well.

11. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

BattleRifleG3, I normally agree with you, but have to differ here. Caring for the poor is a MORAL issue, not a religeous one. Morals are how act toward other people, even if no one is watching. Rligion primarily deals with what happens when you die. Most religions do proscribe a "code of conduct" toward other people as part of the price of a heavenly reward, but others do not. I think morals comes down to respect and empathy toward others.

Last edited: May 22, 2002
  12. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Ya know most of this Seperation of church and State crap comes from those people who have a grudge against organized religion for some reason. Typically these are people who have had a bad experience, or just by their very nature are anti socialble and always looking for someone else to blame for their problems.

I do not attend church on a regular basis, nor do I plan to anytime soon. I do not activley read from the bible but my kids know who god is and we instill those morals in them. My son at age 3 had a kids bible which we read to him from.

I do not like organized religion much myself. I find it very hard to listen to a man tell me how god loves me while he is driving a mercedes and wearing a rolex. Little old ladies who send these bozos their SS checks because he said god needs the money.
    I actually made an attempt to go to a church the other year but did not return after the sermon bc I heard money mentioned 3 different times that had nothing to do with the offering or sermon. They wanted it for the rec center. Now I know not every church is like this but it seems to me that alot of them are.

Jesus was a common man with common means. Oh by the way do not lecture me on scripture my bro in law is a Baptist Minister and the other one is a Deacon in the Church.

13. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I personally believe that religion is nice, but some take it too far. I think your relationship with Jesus, God, Buddah, Allah, or whoever you choose to worship, is a personal thing. We are all different, right? And, we were all created to serve a purpose. If God has given me a free will, and I choose to pray in public, who are these monsters to say that I've offended them? Have they never asked for help from a higher being in their entire lifetime? Things have always gone their way, and they've never needed some help/guidance from their God, right? I highly doubt it.
    Where I work hangs a little letter, and no one has said anything negative about it. It goes something like:

Hello. I am God, and I will be handling your problems today. Please remember that I do not need your help.
    If Satan throws something on you that you need help with, just put it in the S.F.J.T.D. (Stuff For Jesus To Do) box. He will bring it to my attention, and I will deal with it. Remember that I will take care of it in MY time, not yours. If it's something you think you can handle, please consult with Jesus to make sure you have the right solution.
    I never sleep, so there is no reason to worry. You sleep, My child. I will handle things you cannot, and will get with you in the proper time. I am here for you always, and will not forget you when the Devil strikes. Just ask, and I will handle it.
    Bless You.

Now, I'm not the most religious man, but I do believe there definitely is a God, and I refuse to argue with someone who says there's not. I have had rough times, as we all have, but I've managed to pull through. I have prayed many times to God for help, and it's usually when I've done something wrong. I know I've made some bad mistakes in the past, but He has helped me out when I really needed it most.
    If my kids can't pray in school for fear of offending another, what assurance do we, as a country have, that todays' youth will be the best they can when it comes time for them to have children, and set them on the right path? It looks sad, but I keep hoping that things will change.
    Sorry for the long thread, but I needed to vent......