close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Canted sights

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Rave, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

I don't know if it is only Romanian AKs,but that's the ones I keep hearing about,that are made with canted sights.
    If on is unfortunate enough to get one how do you correct the problem?
    Is it a big deal requiring a gun smith,or is it something a kitchen table gun owner can do on his own?
    How,precisely,is it done?
    I would think there are a lot of folks out there that would like to know,including me!
    Thanks,RAVE:confused: :confused:

2. PDM

PDM G&G Newbie

I too got one of the SAR1 with the canted front sight. It shot good but the front pin was ajusted really to the right. It always bugged me so I fixed it about a week ago. You have to drive the front sight pins out. Be sure and use a good punch just a little smaller than the pin. Rap a towel or rag around the gas fitting that is right behind your sight. Put it in a vice so the jaws are on the top{connected to your top hand gaurd} and bottom {on the barrel}of the fitting. Be sure you aren't putting pressure on the gas tube, its thin. Rap a rag around the front sight and put a pipe wrench on it from the bottom. It should turn with a little pressure. Now I've read that you have to drill new holes to put your pins back in but when I looked at mine they where straight through with no metal blocking them. I had to turn it a good 1/16" too. Anyway it worked. Just take your time so you don't scuff or sratch any part of it up. If you feel uncomfortable about doing any of it you might want to take it to a smith.