Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I recently mounted a magnetic pistol mount in my truck. its inside the center console so its out of sight but is still very easily accessible.

there is double sided 3m tape down the whole thing and 2 screws holding in the top. the 3 tape doesn't really do the job on its own but the screws(self taping) really hold it in place pretty well.

Shown here with a sig p238 and a ruger sr9c.

IMG_20190702_184250.jpg IMG_20190702_184305.jpg IMG_20190702_184334.jpg

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Hey everyone,

I recently mounted a magnetic pistol mount in my truck. its inside the center console so its out of sight but is still very easily accessible.

there is double sided 3m tape down the whole thing and 2 screws holding in the top. the 3 tape doesn't really do the job on its own but the screws(self taping) really hold it in place pretty well.

Shown here with a sig p238 and a ruger sr9c.

View attachment 124608 View attachment 124610 View attachment 124612
I was wondering if the the Magnetic could transfer
to the steel of the Pistol?
where it could be enough to attract very small
grains of steel dust to attach themselves to the
pistol and cause a malfunction.
After seeing how much gets attached to speaker
magnets in cars.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering if the the Magnetic could transfer
to the steel of the Pistol?
where it could be enough to attract very small
grains of steel dust to attach themselves to the
pistol and cause a malfunction.
After seeing how much gets attached to speaker
magnets in cars.
Interesting point. Perhaps if I left the pistol there 24/7 for an extended period of time, this might be an issue. But, this will only be used while commuting otherwise ill take it out of the vehicle with me.

·
Premium Member
6,184 Posts
Magnetism can transfer to other metal rather fast. It does not require a constantan exposure. Try rubbing a small screwdriver over a magnet. It will magnetize immediately.
I would not expose my carry gun to a magnet. The chamber or feed ramp could collect metal particulate. A jam may result. Just my own idea.:(

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see your point. however i've seen many magnet types of gun mounts sold, surely if there was a problem they would have a bad reputation right? maybe ill see if my slide is magnetic after using it.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
I would agree that having a gun magnetized is probably not a good thing but as far as collecting debris being a problem, the only thing a magnet will attract is ferrous metals. any dust, sand, grit whatever is going to get on & in the gun anyway with or without magnet. unless you are some place with steel or iron dust in the air, (machine shop, grinding steel/welds etc..) I don't see it being much of a problem.

·
Registered
11,895 Posts
Too much worry here! I think it'll be fine. If you get worried, shake the pee out of it every time you pull it off the magnet!

Looks great. I'm looking at one for my dash, under the steering column. Problem is, I have to drive an hour to and from work every day, so I do this in a small car. I just know I'll beat the tar out of my knee with it. Thinking of putting one in the wife's Tundra.

·
Registered
19,606 Posts
Just ran an experiment. I have several guns around the shop stashed on magnets.

So far not a single one shows any signs of becoming magnetized.

Two revolvers and a semi auto.

I also have a Hmong knife stashed on one in the other room because that side of the store is harder to supervise. At this point it is not magnetic either.

This is a limited sample of guns (and a really big knife) and they are all static. Unless the act of vibrating in a car causes an issue with transference, you'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really cant imagine that companies would still be selling the magnetic mounts if they caused serious issues. thanks for the input PHD i really appreciate it!

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Ferritic steels can and will become magnetized when exposed to magnetic fields. (If a magnet will stick to it, it can be magnetized)

The stronger the field , and the longer the time, the more magnetized they can become. They can magnetize even faster if the field passes over it repeatedly and uni-directionally like would happen when you pull the gun free from the mount.
But that doesn’t mean paperclips will start sticking to it- yet.

That said, how much magnetic debris will be in the gun’s vicinity? If you work in a steel fab or machine shop, or a paint shop that blasts with steel shot, you will likely have some in your vehicle. In other environments it would be no big deal.

I wouldn’t let any of that stop me. Try it. If it’s no problem then it’s no problem.
For anyone worried about it just buy or build an AC powered electromagnet and pass the gun through the field from different angles. The rapidly reversing magnetism should demagnetize the gun very well.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ferritic steels can and will become magnetized when exposed to magnetic fields. (If a magnet will stick to it, it can be magnetized)

The stronger the field , and the longer the time, the more magnetized they can become. They can magnetize even faster if the field passes over it repeatedly and uni-directionally like would happen when you pull the gun free from the mount.
But that doesn’t mean paperclips will start sticking to it- yet.

That said, how much magnetic debris will be in the gun’s vicinity? If you work in a steel fab or machine shop, or a paint shop that blasts with steel shot, you will likely have some in your vehicle. In other environments it would be no big deal.

I wouldn’t let any of that stop me. Try it. If it’s no problem then it’s no problem.
For anyone worried about it just buy or build an AC powered electromagnet and pass the gun through the field from different angles. The rapidly reversing magnetism should demagnetize the gun very well.
Im going to try it out for a while, It will only be on there from the time i get in the truck to the time i get out. and occasionally ill leave it in there when i have too.

also in order to remove it i dont slide it up the mount, i twist my wrist and it pops off.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I see your point. however i've seen many magnet types of gun mounts sold, surely if there was a problem they would have a bad reputation right? maybe ill see if my slide is magnetic after using it.
It would seem logical, but they still make wallets to hold both credit cards and cell phones, despite that cell phones demagnetize credit cards. This is something I often tell my patients having a hard time getting their cards to scan.

It takes a matter of minutes for steel or iron to become magnetized. I imagine in most cases, it doesn't present a big problem... but, it is something worth considering. It is a neat concept, but it's something I'm reluctant to try myself.

·
Premium Member
6,184 Posts
It would seem logical, but they still make wallets to hold both credit cards and cell phones, despite that cell phones demagnetize credit cards. This is something I often tell my patients having a hard time getting their cards to scan.

It takes a matter of minutes for steel or iron to become magnetized. I imagine in most cases, it doesn't present a big problem... but, it is something worth considering. It is a neat concept, but it's something I'm reluctant to try myself.
Firearms failures are rarely due to large foreign matter interference. Moving metal parts will shed macroscopic particles. These often buildup in any firearms.
Anyone who has used any firearm has experienced slowed movements. It takes small amounts of metal to interfere with a slide or extractor. I would not introduce anything in my carry weapons that "may", add to a failure.:)

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
After all is said and done, it is simply
a matter of clean that firearm...often.
Dont argue with the seargent and say
its his thumbnail that is dirty,:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts