close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Car shoot

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by AR-tim, Jun 2, 2002.

1. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    I haven't posted in awhile but, this will be a good one. Yesterday I attended the second annual car shoot that some of my buddies put together. It was the first one I went to. Basically, they get a car from the junkyard, get it out to some farm land, and shoot it up. We were shooting at it from probably 100 yards with rifles, and then around 30-40 yards with pistols and shotguns. There is a pretty high bank that is on the left side that curves around behind the car for a good backstop. We were shooting at a pretty clean, late '80's Chrysler Aries "K" wagon. With about 10-20 men, we made a good afternoon out of it. Here is the arsenal we had...

2 1919s(semi auto)
    1 M-16(select fire)
    1 Uzi 9mm(select fire)
    6+AR-15
    3+AK-47
    2 Thompsons(semi-auto)
    4+Mosin Nagants(1 super clean Russian "sniper" M-44)
    3+SKS
    2 Savage 110 tactical .308 (heavy barrel, scopes, bi-pod)
    2 FN-FAL
    1 M-1A
    2 M-1
    1 G-3(I think..some H&K type rifle)

Then there was all the pistols, semi-auto rifles, lever actions, shotguns, blackpowder, and military bolt actions I can't remember. Picking up all the brass and cleaning up the mess of a car wasn't too fun, but hey, small price to pay. We took the wheels off of the car, set it on some logs, and put armored plate over the brakes/wheel studs- so at the end of the day we could still put the tires back on so moving wouldn't be a problem. I'll see about posting some pictures if I can get some. It was a great time. After shooting that full auto M-16, it is time to save for the class III and a nice shoot 'em up rifle. Oh yeah, we did warn the authorities what we were up to, just so the National Guard wouldn't show up with tanks and choppers. Can't wait till next year.

-Tim

:assult:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2002
  2. That sounds like fun. I saw something like that once and I learned real quick not to shoot at a wheel rim with a .45 acp. It comes back at you almost as fast as it left.

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Did it once in Kentucky when I was stationed at Ft. Knox. An old 1959 Ford pickup and two Mini-14's. It was a blast!

4. Tober

Tober Firearm Aficionado Forum Contributor

I saw it alot at the Machine Gun Shoot in Shepardsville, great thing to see!

5. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    It was great this year, and I hear we have the ok for the third one next year. I just hope my FN-FAL is working by then. I wish we could do it more often, but it put a big dent in all of our ammo/funds. It was a fun atmosphere, if you wanted to shoot someones gun, you just had to ask. Some of the guys prefered if you used your own ammo, but that was no problem. Now I just have to figure out how to buy that full auto M-60 I have always wanted......;) Anyone else have some target shooting stories like this to tell, I would love to hear them.

-Tim

6. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Well, you can buy a parts kit, then MAKE a new semi auto receiver for it. You can even get a demiled receiver for it to use as a pattern. My understanding is that you can build up to 3 firearms a year without any federal paperwork, provided the resulting gun is legal (stock and barrel length, etc.).