Carbide Dies

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mike Franklin, May 26, 2008.

1. For those who may not know, if you have reloading dies but want to step up to carbide dies all you need is a carbide sizing die. You can size .38 spl and .357 with just a .38 die by adjustng the depth to which the die works the case. You can reload .38 S&W, no this ain't .38 spl, with .38 spl dies by just sizing the mouth area of the case.
    Lots of pieces can be used on different cartridge typoe but same caliber ammo. I have used a .45 ACP tapper crimp die on my .45 Colt for several decades now. You can normally, on a bolt action rifle load, use .308 dies to load .30-06.
    There's lots of other swaps you can make to save yourself some money. BUT do try a couple of your mix and match loads before loading a bunch'a rounds. It may taking some jerk leg engineering to get things right. AND the load that fits just fine in your gun may not fit your buddy's gun.

2. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

and the man from poteet comes through once again!
    thank you sir.

i have some 357mag carbide dies in my hand.
    can i use that for 38 spl.?

Last edited: May 26, 2008

3. sc928porsche

sc928porsche G&G Newbie

Actually if you use the .357 carbide sizing die, it will full length size 38 spec. and 38 s&w. If you use a 38 spec carbide die for .357, most of them will not full length size the case because the length of the inside of the die is too short.

4. But .357 sized with a .38 die might work in your gun. Just size a couple and see. If you put a line down the side of the case with a magic marker then size it, normally it will let you see just how far down you're actually sizing the case. The area near the head of the case doesn't expand as much as the portion closer to the mouth. Use the camber of your gun to check for what will fit and what won't. Lighter target loads very often just need a little on the neck or near the mouth of the case sized. I've found that blackpowder loads are very forgiving. I have also found on others loads that because the die wasn't properly set, the case was only getting partially sized anyway.
    While bench rest shooters and some varmit shooters need to really get things just right, most of us get by with good enough. My guns and loads normally shoot better than I can hold.

5. sc928porsche

sc928porsche G&G Newbie

Carbide sizing dies are made for "straight" taper cases. If you examine them closely, you will find a small portion at the entrance of the die that is an insert. That is the carbide ring. As the case is forced throuth the ring, it reduces the caliber of the case as it passes through. You can also use the 44mag carbide sizing die for 44 spec and 44 russian, 45LC carbide sizing die for 45 ACP.

6. Man! Ain't it great saving money on equiment so's you can buy more components!

7. billy

i am a dummy.
    i OWN a set of carbide 357mag./38spl dies.
    i got em from moose with all the other stuff.
    you can start throwing things now.....

8. We don't throw stuff but we now can talk about you behind your back.

9. billy

front , back .it dont matter.
    i deserve it!
    [​IMG]

10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I kind of always wondered why they can't make carbide dies for bottlenecked cases. Never see an explanation why they can't, just that they can't. I would love not having to lubricate my 357 Sig, 7.62X25, 7.62X54R, 8X56R, .270, before sizing.

11. forgunsandgame

forgunsandgame G&G Newbie

Come to think of it I've never seen an explanation either. Anyone got one?

12. billy

Dillon Carbide Rifle Dies (Individual & Three-Die Sets)

13. SL11

SL11 G&G Newbie

Gandog56 wrote:

The answer is that they CAN do it, but you would NOT want to pay for it. Machining such a complicated shape precisely into such a hard material would be too costly for the handloader market.

I talked to Hornady about their titanium NITRIDE (not CARBIDE) dies, which are standard steel dies with a coating of titainium nitride applied to the inner surface, the same as nitride-coated drill bits. Hornady had tried it on a 357 Sig die, but the result was a die that still took too much effort to size without lube. So, they did not pursue that course commercially (darn!).

SL1

14. billy

they make em but you still hafta lube em.
    they are pretty much for commercial loading.

15. sc928porsche

sc928porsche G&G Newbie

Because of the small surface area of the carbide sizing ring on the straight wall case dies there is not as much friction as there would be on a tapered case die. Without lubricant, a carbide tapered die would still stick. Remember, the rim use to extract the case would not be strong enough to remove it from the die.

It would be nice however to have neck sizing dies made with carbide.

16. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner

.38 Special/.357 Mag dies can also be used for the .357 Maximum, and most silhouette shooters used to do it that way. Likewise for using the .44 Mag/Special dies for the .445 SuperMag. Just as a note, taper crimps work ok for the Contender with these, but revolvers require roll crimps.

17. gandog56

I don't know. I fool 'em reloading my 357 Sig. I size them with a carbide 40 S&W die, then run them again through the steel .357 Sig die. No lube needed.

Hmm, makes me wonder if that will work for my 7.62X25 using a carbide 9mm sizing die?

18. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I use carbide rifle dies with some cartridges.They are high priced.And yes,you still have to lube. sam.

19. gandog56

If I still have to lube them, then I'm not paying for carbide.:confused: