Carbine 45 Conversion

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oldjarhead, Nov 28, 2007.

1. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

Years ago, I read several articles on conversions of the M1 Carbine into 9mm and another caliber in 45. I don't believe it was the 45 ACP, however. 45 Kodiak sits in my brain housing group.
    Does anyone recall this conversion? Does anyone have information on this?

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I remember an issue of American Survival Guide with an article on the Carbine modified by a company to use the .45 WinMag. Never seen one in real life though!

3. DANA

DANA G&G Newbie

I have two M1 carbines converted by Le Mag. One in 45 Win Mag ( my using deer rifle ) and a 50AE. About 15 shots with the 45 Win Mag is about all you want to fire. The 50AE I replaced with a Plastic stock and a recoil pad. Makes a Big push and a lot of noise.

DANA

4. Big Dog

Le Mag! Voila! Thanks, Dana! :)

5. hotntot

hotntot G&G Newbie

45 win mag

A guy in Fenton,michigan use to make that 30 to 45 win mag conversion for years--------check it out.

6. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

.357 mag was done

Can't say about a .45 which would seem too great in width for this action but in the 1960's some experimentation was done converting to the .357 magnum although it did not catch on in either the law enforcement or private marketplace.

7. jimb2

jimb2 G&G Enthusiast

The conversion to the .45 WinMag was done. No doubt about it. Also conversions to 9mm luger, but for what reason other than just to show that it could be done, I have no idea. The problem was that with the WinMag, you couldn't load it hotter than the pistol round without chancing damage to the receiver, so there really wasn't a lot of advantage in the conversion.

8. Big Dog

I've floated the idea on a couple other forums about possibly converting an M1 Carbine to use 7.62X25, as in the Czech CZ52 pistol. That would be very workable, I think!

9. doctor rizz

doctor rizz G&G Newbie

I think that it might be able to handle 7.62 x 39. Make it cheap to shoot at least!

10. oldjarhead

The receiver will not accept a cartridge of the length of the 7.62x39 round. If the throw of the bolt was about .75" more, it would fit but that would require a rear extension of .75" to the receiver and more extensive mod to the operating rod, spring, magazine, etc. (not to mention opening the bolt face to dangerous dimensions) If it could be done, I'm sure it would be a heck of a lot more accurate than the Ruger Mini-30. Good thought though.

11. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Universal at one time made the Carbine in .44 Mag, and .256 Win Mag named the "Vulcan"...
    Rich

12. oldjarhead

They also had one in MMJ 5.7 (aka: .22 Carbine, 5.7 Spitfire). I would have been leary of the .44 Mag...seems like it would be too much for the receiver to handle, unless it was loaded down for pressure issues. The .256 and the 5.7 would be fun to shoot I'm sure. I would think the .256 would have magazine problems but though I've never seen one it's pure speculation on my part. The 5.7...I'd like to have one but I believe ammo would be hard to come by. I have not found a source for a sizing die nor reloading dies.
    They also had one called the Ferret which was a different stock variation.

13. TomF

TomF G&G Newbie

Ferret

I have a Universal Arms .256 WinMag Ferret and also a Universal Arms 5.7 mmj, along with two .45 WinMag LeMag conversions.

You are correct - the magazines for the .256 are hard to come by (a "regular" .30 carbine mag won't hold and feed the cartridges). The real problem is trying to find .257 bullets that will feed - the 60 gr flatpoints won't feed and any of the spire points are too long. My solution to this problem was to purchase a set of bullet swaging dies (and a swaging press) that will produce bullets similar to the 60 gr hollow points that Winchester made at one time. It seems factory .256 WinMag ammo is "collected" by some individuals - it's way too expensive for plinking.

The .22 mmj forming and reloading dies are available at the auction sites from time to time. Sometimes, you can get the forming/reloading dies for around $100, while recently I saw just the reloading dies go for $200+. Although I haven't checked recently, at one time you could purchase the dies from RCBS and Midway, although I've heard RCBS has cut back on production of "custom" dies.

A few years ago, Numerich (Gun Parts Corp.) was pushing their .22 mmj barrels for converting the carbine. They also sold go/no-go gauges and loaded ammo. I don't know if they still do.

I saw an IAI 5.7 mmj at one of the "local" sporting goods store (used gun rack) about 7 months ago. It wasn't cheap, though, but after you factor in the fact that it came with the reloading and forming dies, it probably wasn't too bad, in retrospect.

14. kyle485

kyle485 G&G Newbie

256 Ferret

I have a 256 ferret, I've never shot it, and have no attatchment to it. Its got the clip and all, is it worth anything? Its in excellent condition, and qoutes from books that ive found say it worth about $200. Information is scarce about them, and I don't know what to think about the gun.

15. oldjarhead

kyle485
    Where are you...what state?
    The Ferret is a modified M1 Carbine and came in about 30 Carbine and 256 calibers. The Stock was a sporter stock. Some of them were teflon coated. The Ferret sold new for around $150 during it's production period. $200 - $300 sounds about right.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted