Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Carcano m38 in 7.35 which I like, a lot. It's light, recoil is mild, handy little gun, except for one problem: I can't eject spent brass. I can load and eject un-fired rounds all day long, but upon firing, the bolt is very difficult to turn, and when it does turn, the brass stays put in the chamber. This has happened on every shot I've fired of Precision Cartridge Inc. ammunition ( the only non-collectible stuff I can find).

I'm trying to figure out what is going on. Options seem like: (1) extractor problem (least likely), (2) ammunition problem, (3) headspace problem.

Good luck finding a gauge for 7.35mm, so headspace is a concern, and one not immediately checkable. Anyone else had this problem or know of any solutions or things to check?

Reactions: PAPA G

·
Premium Member
4,815 Posts
Without seeing the rifle it is tough to diagnose.. could be a rough chamber, this is totally possible since it is war surplus and many were converted to other calibers and chamberings. It absolutely could be ammunition caused and/or headspace. Do a chamber casting and check the measurements. It might be as easy as setting the bbl back one turn and re-reaming or perhaps the extractor is an issue ...

·
Premium Member
9,768 Posts
Could be head spacing or expanded neck or case. I have two of the full length 7.35 Carcanos but they stay in the safe. Reason is ammo so hard to get or expensive. Most reloaders use brass from another caliber and resize them for the Carcano. I see the 6.5x52 ammo made by PPU for the carbines quite a bit. Not so for the 7.35. You need to look at your brass casings to see if they are expanded anywhere and start from there.

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not a reloader at all, so I'm not sure what the case should look like compared with the extracted one. Any ideas?

Reactions: PAPA G

·
Premium Member
9,768 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not a reloader at all, so I'm not sure what the case should look like compared with the extracted one. Any ideas?
You may see something physically by comparing a shot casing and a loaded one side by side. Look at the neck for any unusual metal stress. Also if you have a micrometer you compare them. Also is there any visible lines or marks on the spent brass after ejecting so you know where its grabbing or binding?

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it has some scratched looking marks near the rear of the case and at the shoulder.

·
Premium Member
9,768 Posts
You may have to take your rifle to a gunsmith that has headspacing gauges. Not worth buying them for one rifle. May be headspacing Did you look into the throat and chamber to see if its smooth and clean. I can guess all day long without seeing what you have in person.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts