care of a Hi Point .40

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by CoachSuper, Dec 15, 2009.

1. CoachSuper

CoachSuper G&G Newbie

I just bought a .40 S&W Hi Point. I loved the price ($169). I researched and heard nothing but good things.

I've noticed a total lack of lubrication. I admit that I'm used to revolvers.

In reading the instruction manual, they recommend cleaning and oiling after 500 rounds... taking apart and serious cleaning after 1000's of rounds. I'm worried about wear with no lube.

I've read that some take their new hi point and oil it a bit. I've learned that you don't want to oil too much.

Does anyone have tips on oiling the hi points? Do they need oil out of the box?

CS

2. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

I never disassembled my HP .45 I cleaned the barrel and chamber, but not any further. I put 1,500 to 2,000 rounds through mine in about a year and a half with zero problems. I would put a tiny drop of RemOil around the slide area and a short, tiny spray in the chamber area once in awhile.

LOL to be honest I didn't clean it the way I should have. I paid 140$ NIB for mine and treated it at a level equal to it's price. I maybe cleaned the barrel 3 times the whole time I had it. It made a awesome truck gun and plinking gun though....kinda sorry I sold it off.

3. rwt101

rwt101 G&G Newbie

I have a high point 9mm. I did go over mine before I shot it. I only put some light lube on the slide area.
    Bob T

4. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I clean and oil all my guns between uses. Preventive maintenance will prolong the life of your gun no matter what brand or how much it costs.

5. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Clean the barrel and spray the rest of it down with CLP and wipe off the excess. Dat's all they need.

6. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Do as Ron said. Blow it out real good with Breakfree w/CLP and then lean it against something with muzzel down and let it drain for a while.
    Or use a blowing attachment on an air hose to blow it out to remove more grime.
    Then wipe down with a towel...Thats about all you can do for now. Over time you'll learn how to strip it.

7. CoachSuper

CoachSuper G&G Newbie

Thanks!

That's exactly the info I was lookin' for.

CS