Caring for my stock

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by calaper, May 16, 2008.

1. calaper

calaper G&G Addict

Hi guys,

In some of my other threads, i've mentioned that i just picked up my Tikka t3 hunter from the store. I quite like the look of the gun and would really like to know what sort of oils or other products are available to keep my stock looking nice and clean.

The stock is made from walnut and i've noticed if i accidently touch it with my oil cloth it leaves marks. What can be used to get this out...what oils are safe to use?

2. You should just need to wipe the wood down with a clean pure cotton or terry towel cloth. It should be stained and then have been sealed from the factory with some sort of clear urethane. So it's just a matter of keeping it clean.

Now after a day of hunting or at the range, clean it as normal and then clean the stock with a damp lightly soaped rag and then dry it off with a clean cotton or terry cloth towel again. I would certainly think that should work?

I've had a Mossberg model 500 shotgun for almost 27 years and the wood looks the same as the day I got it, except for maybe a minor ding or 2 if that. But all

All I've ever done is wipe it down as I just mentioned above. I would think if that didn't work, it wouldn't look like the day I got it still...It to is wood, not sure if walnut or not, but it is/was stained and has a clear coat on it.

I'm sure you'll get a host of other ideas or methods. To be honest, you should have gotten a book with it and it should say what to do to keep it all clean. If not, go to the manufacturers website and most owners manuals are free to download...They should have in them how to clean the entire rifle, both barrel and furniture...

Last edited: May 16, 2008

3. turner

turner Guest

Congrats on a very nice, new rifle! I don't believe that an oil cloth with a light gun oil such as RemOil would be any bother at all to the Tikka's stock. I do believe, however, in putting a coating of some type on my many wood stocks. Typical furniture polishes, even in spray cans would work fine, but I have found 2 or 3 products I feel are outstanding. First, I'll mention the old favorites Old English lemon oil and scratch cover furniture polishers. They both feed the finish and leave a light coating that will not harm them and give a bit of protection. The scratch cover has a darker color and can fill surface scratches pretty well. The absolute best stock treatment I've ever used is Natchez Solution, an old furniture wax whose two main ingredients are beeswax and lemon oil. I've used it on all types of finishes from laquer (like your Tikka) to weatherproof laminate topcoats and oil type (Kimber) finishes and it is great on any and all of them. I normally simply rub in and on with my fingers, allow to sit for anywhere from an hour to several days, and then wipe off with a cotton cloth such as a hand towel. Don't be surprised if the first time or two, the product all but completely soaks into the finish and wood on your rifle. About a half to full teaspoonfull worked in with your fingers should do it.

http://www.natchezsolution.com/index.html

Natchez Solution

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  4. Boiled linseed oil

I'm a big believer in taking it down to real wood then caring for it forever with boiled linseed oil. Waterproofs and if you get a scratch it is
    usually a good fix with another application of boiled linseed oil.

5. calaper I use F21 in the brite green bottle. It's like Armourall but better.
    I've been useing it for a few years on all my wood stocked gun's and now my sythectic stocks too.
    It shor makes'em look good !

It use to named 2000 or 2001 I don't remember.

Put the stuff on with a cheap sponge and then wait a minute, then buff with a terry cloth towel .

I'm tell'in yooooou that stock will look be pertier than a speckled pup and it'll also be slicker than a town dog ! LOL
    Try it, you'll like it...A.H

6. calaper

calaper G&G Addict

Thanks guys, i'll definitely look into those oils. I've had the linseed oil on an old win model 92 and got a bit on the brass....looked horrible, still haven't gotten it off. Might try some turps or something.

Cheers all