close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carl Gustafs Stads M96 1903...worth?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Plank Road Farm, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Plank Road Farm

Plank Road Farm G&G Newbie

Found this gun in a pawn shop today, S/N 136606.
    Don't know much about these guns but I've been reading they are accurate.
    All the numbers match except the metal band where the sling attaches.
    Wood is in good shape and has a very intricate looking rear sight adjustment.
    Guy said the round brass plate in the stock actually tells all about the gun if you can understand the markings.
    Is it worth $375?
    Is there another site especially devoted to this gun that could give me more history, indentification information, and worth?
    Thanks in advance for your comments.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  2. gunney_m

gunney_m Suspended

Welcome to G&G.

3. Snakebite

Snakebite G&G Evangelist

4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

generally the swedes are worth about $250-350, towards the higher end if all the #'s match. now you say your has an inticate rear sight adjustment which leads me to believe you may have a diopeter rear sight, and depending on which rear sight exactly can add some value to your rifle.

5. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Enthusiast

There is a series of books called "For collectors only" from North Cape Publications, that give detailed information on old military rifles.

The price seems high to me, but with a diopter sight maybe it is nominal. I paid $50.00 each for the two I had, less than three years ago. But, that was from a pawn shop where I bought guns fairly frequently.

They had just bought a collection from an estate and had aquired about 40 surplus rifles in the deal. The guy told me to take my pick. I just happened to be carrying $200.00 at the time. I bought two M93s and two enfields for $50.00 each.

Nick

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  6. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

7. Plank Road Farm

Okay, finally some pictures to examine!

I went back to the Pawn Shop this morning and took these pics. Hope someone can nail down exactly what this rifle is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The engraving on the rear sight is as follows: "METALLVERKEN" (on top) then "VASTERAS" (underneath) and then "SV. PAT. 90944" (underneath that).
    All numbers match except the front strap band and the magazine bottom plate and it doesn't have a cleaning rod. Has the iniIials "KB" to the left of the S/N and only has one crown mark on the bottom of the stock wrist.
    I got the price down to $300 OTD.
    Should I buy it?

jwrauch likes this.
  8. Plank Road Farm

Bought the Swede M96 today!

Thanks for all your inputs, it helped me make the decision to add to the herd.
    The guy at the pawn shop just had to have $290 OTD (out the door).
    Here she is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now I need advice on what type of ammo to use for my first test shots.
    It is okay to shoot this rifle, isn't it?
    Appreciate all the responses.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  9. Clark

Clark G&G Newbie

House of Karlina, Swedish Mauser 1894, 1896
    This looks like the symbols on my grandparents money from Sweden.

2001) I paid $100 for Carl G '96 that I sporterized [drilled, tapped, and bent the bolt]. I have hunted with it.
    2004) I paid $135 for a '38 Husq. Looks new. May still be unfired. I haven't shot it.
    2006) I paid $80 for a '94 Carl G carbine, that someone cut down the stock, and the grooves at the muzzle are not shiny. I have not shot it yet.

All of them are all matching serial numbers. I don't find that in Mausers from countries that went to war with them.

10. Plank Road Farm

Just wondering about the bolt.

Does anyone know if the bolt has been altered or was that the original design?
    [​IMG]
    I thought from what I've read that the bolt is supposed to be straight!
    Maybe this was the bolt they used on sniper or target shooting models.
    Hope it has not been "bubbafied"!

11. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

12. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

that bolt has been altered, from the picture you have a long rifle, an 1896. it is okay to shoot.

13. OZHUNTER62

OZHUNTER62 G&G Newbie

Hi plank,looks like youve done well there,I cant comment on the price you paid but it looks like a fine looking rifle in good condition,the bolt handle has definately been altered,generally to acommodate a scope, others have recommended some good sites for your information so you may already have the info but I believe the sight you have is refered to as a Naval sight not because of any conection with the navy but in reference to the sailing ship motif stamped on it,it is not rare but not common either,some think it adds asthetically to the rifles appearance,I tend to agree,the brass disc contains the information recorded about the condition of the rifle when it last passed through the royal armoury.IMHO the 6.5x55 Swede is undoubtably one of the finest of the old battle rifles and if in good condition and fed the right ammunition it can be superbly accurate and capable of punching well above its weight with the potential to take many varied game.
    The rifle itself as im sure you will discover is a pure joy to shoot,it comes up to shoulder and eye in a very comfortable manner with minimal felt recoil, the action is smooth and strong and likely to outlast you and your next generation.
    As with all used and aged weapons I agree with those that say you should take it to a competant gunsmith and get it checked out,probobly just a visual inspection and run a set headspace gauges through it, get the OK!!, then get yourself some ammo and go enjoy that fine old piece of machinery,I defy any man to shoot the Swede and not want to smile about it!!!ENJOY.
    :)Regards.

jwrauch likes this.
  14. Plank Road Farm

Scope Mounts Available.....?

OZHUNTER6: Thanks for the good comments.

Does anyone know if there is a way to mount a scope on my Swede without drilling and tapping or altering the stock?

Or, am I going to have to settle with iron sights?

15. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

There is a side mount that requires drilling/tapping that is Swedish made, and made specifically for the M96! It is similar to the Ajack "Jackenroll" sniper mount used on the M41B sniper rifle. A guy called armynavysweden sells them from time to time on ebay. They are slide on and off and do not interfere wih the iron sights. The Vasteras looks in very good condition. It definitely makes the price more worth it.

16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Yeah, I just went to a pawn shop yesterday and picked me up a Gustaf. Of course some bozo sporterized it and slapped a 3X9 Scope on it. But I figured at the $130 price tag I would see what a Swedish Mauser shoots like.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do like the fact it has see through scope mounts on it and I can use the iron sights if the scoped gets messed up.

jwrauch likes this.
  17. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Nice rifles guys. Swedes are the best of the small ring mausers, and great shooters. JR

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted