Gun and Game Forum banner

What type of case lube do you recommend?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Imperial Wax for my case lube but now it's time for me to replace my dwindling tin of wax with something else. Looking for opinions. I'm leaning toward Hornady Unique Case Lube paste. It has excellent reviews and the price is right.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
This is the mix I use at a 1 to 10 ratio, that's one part Lanolin to ten parts Heet or 99% alcohol.
I put it in a spray bottle with a few projectiles to act as shaker/mixers. I put my brass on a large pan flat, spray a coat over them then stir to flip over the brass & spray the other side. You can let it dry or just start sizing. I have not had a piece of brass stick since I started using it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I use Imperial sizing wax, applied with a pad...occasionally applied with fingers. I've tried an assortment of commercial and homebrew lubricants, but I always return to Imperial.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I use Hornady one shot. It’s not real expensive and I don’t go through a lot in that my pistol dies are carbide and I handload the 45-70 on the single stage.
I also use hornady one shot. Never had an issue with it, and found it works dandy.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Lee Case Lube diluted with 40 parts of water to skim milk color and consistency. Decap range brass and tumble in corncob to remove grit. Dip decapped brass in French fryer basket, with diluted liquid in .50 cal ammo can. Shake/agitate to remove excess liquid. Cases may be sized wet, or can be left to dry and sized later. No need to remove dried sizing lube. Easy sizing and expanding as inside of case neck also lubed. Product is same as Johnson 700 wax draw, which is used by the factories in brass cartridge case manufacture.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I use one shot on my straight wall pistol cases and a lube pad on the rifle cases.

Reactions: TXplt

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yep bag balm works too.

You only need to stick one case hard into a die before you decide that the expensive stuff is not expensive at all. One shot now but many things work. A few years ago when I was making my own 300BLK from 223 range brass and 257 Wby from 7mm Mag range brass I tried many. The 300 BLK forums were recommending that wax that is used to go on the bottom of a commode where is attaches to the sewer line so I tried it. It is a wonderful product for that use and pretty cheap for those extra hard sizing operations. But as I am fond to say, anything works, including the bacon grease you have left over from waterproofing your leather boots.

$1.78 at Lowes.com

Of course if you are opposed to bacon grease for religious reasons you can get a commericial synthetic bacon grease, the kind some of us top shooters use secretly for our Desert Eagles and ARs. There are some studies out of China I think that says bacon grease created in a lab will increase your shooting skill dramatically. The formula is highly guarded but the odor of bacon grease has an effect on several areas of the brain, so that enhanced feeling just helps you shoot better. I think the smell just releases more endorfins. Bacon Grease Gun Lube by The Shooting Chef Review — Firearms Insider Community

The whole topic of bacon grease lube led to the pig lube industry which then found a lot of followers in the concealed carry world where everybody who was anybody used one of the nano= techknowlodgy pig smelling products to prepare the guns for the real deal.
Episode 98: Bacon Grease In Your Gun: All About Lube - Concealed Carry IncConcealed Carry Inc

I am not going to say specifically that I was the guy that invented the concept by my frequent writings in the early blogs about using bacon greased M4s in Iraq but I will not deny that I was the first guy to actively support that movement. In fact my early blogs recommended smearing bacon grease on every round of ammo before you went on a patrol seeking out Muslim terrorists. But that was also back in the day when many of us bought those life size paper targets of Bin Laden and used them on public ranges here in the states. That seemed like a good idea, giving a face to a terrorist. Then at my range a bunch of guys started putting up those life size targets of the new President Barrack Obama and my range banned any picture targets, so now we are back to shooting face less paper targets that do nothing more than show where the bullet goes. Now we are woke and sensitive.

OK, the OP asked about what lube folks use on reloading cases, so I recommend One Shot or real or synthetic bacon grease or that toilet was. I assume everybody knows to use it at your own risk, it actually smells like bacon and may offend some Muslim shooter on your range. It does offend wives a little bit if you soak your carry gun in it. It may also draw bears and dogs but I have not seen any peered reviewed studies to prove that, either way. Many people are in the dark on that because many observational reports tend to show that people who carry bear spray see less bears than people who do not, so the whole idea of smells attracting bears is still up in the air, as far as the science goes.

If you cannot find it at Midway or one of the leading gun supply stores you can actually just find it in those sexual product stores where they sell it as an upgrade to KYJelly for other uses. You can get that "personal lube" on line at the Bacon addicts store. J&D's Bacon Lube - Bacon Flavored Personal Lubricant (baconaddicts.com) Of course it is out of stock like many other fine defensive products these days. It is $19.99 a bottle plus shipping of course. So if you find it you might hoard a few bottles. Or I might sell a couple bottles of my reserve stash at $100 a bottle plus shipping, of course. Or if you buy by 10 or more I would wave the shipping cost. Please do not think this is scalping it is just market forces, some have it, other want it. Simple math. Some of us call it the new 3 in 1 oil.

And that is the real deal from folks who long ago were on the front line and in the know. Knowledge is power. LOL Have a blessed day.

Reactions: goat roper
1 - 11 of 11 Posts