cases dont want to extract

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by deadman03, May 3, 2008.

1. deadman03

deadman03 G&G Addict

nc
    ive noticed a problem with the ammo i reloaded for my 9mm. it works fine but if i get a round in the chamber and i dont want to fire it the extractor wont pull it out. but when i fire it, it jumps out like normal. im pretty sure that factory rounds dont do that.
    im using a smith and wesson model 39-2 serial #A1256xx
    i think i read somewhere that the earlyier models had picky extractors.
    also im using once fired brass from midway along with some that i had fired throught this gun also, same problem.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2008
  2. Down South

Down South G&G Newbie

My 39-2 works flawlessly with my reloads. Actually that is all that I have fed it in many years. It sounds like you are having a sizing problem or you are using too large diameter bullets. Another thing, you might consider using a Lee FCD. Some folks don’t like the FCD but I use one for every caliber handgun cartridge that I load.

3. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Meisure the overall length of your cases after resizing. Sounds like they need trimmed. sam.

4. Down South

Down South G&G Newbie

I have never had to trim a straight wall pistol case but it is possible. I'm wondering if his seat/crimp die is taking the bell back out of the case.

5. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Usually when that happens you can see the bulge and they jam,but it is possible. sam.

6. deadman03

deadman03 G&G Addict

nc
    i made sure that all the cases were trimmed to length.
    i am using 115 gr nosler hollow points, .355
    and i am using the lee factory crimp die to crimp them in place.
    i just noticed i have a round with cbc stamped on the bottom, it seems to buldge out, and its .005 larger around the head.
    i think that is where my problem came from.
    i just double checked and i think it is just that type of brass giving me the problem.
    thanks for all the suggestions.

7. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

+1 on the FCD!

Me neither, but I plan on keeping a close watch on my .454 Casull empties.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  8. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  9. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

He states that he has .005" bulge.Usually that is signs that the action is releasing early,if the chamber is right. sam.