close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Casualty of memory loss....?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dale, Mar 30, 2002.

1. One of my partners I had before I retired came to see me this weekend. And, as usual, he always wants to fill me in on the little scuttle bugs abounding in the department.

I went to ask him if so and so...and Officer_________ were doing well. But, you know I have found out, since I've retired and I'm not there every day seeing people, I have a tendency to forget people's names. I can see their faces, but many names skip my mind.

Of course, there will always be the very good friends or the idiot supervisor you never forget, but for the average run of the mill Officer I worked with.....well.....that's different.

I'm only 53 and have no signs of Alzheimers and I'm wondering if forgetting people is a natural phenomenon for most people when you get isolated from them. I wonder if that happens to vets when they ETS, retire or change duty stations?

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Don't feel bad I'm in my mid 30's. If I don't write it down it don't exist. Try keeping a short log on people you would like to remember.

3. Same here, I am also in my 30's. There are some things and people from my active duty days that I remember very well, there are also some things that I used to do regularly but now have somewhat forgotten. I think if you are not around it you just forget some of it.

4. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Dale: I've diagnosed myself with a memory loss disease called "CRS" (can't remember s---). When you forget as much as I do it can't be anything else. Just call me for dinner.

Oxford

5. I too am still in my 30s, and do the same thing. Remember faces, not names. Half the time I rember what kind of car they drive, but 10 minutes after i hear a name it's gone.
    I gotta put sticky notes up all over the place, and even have to look up my password for the computer if I don't use it for a few days.
    I just call it brain freeze, or having a brain cramp. I think we all get it at any age, and if someone says they don't, it's probably 'cuz they FORGOT that it did.