Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Checked some land up north and found bobcat tracks. Now comes the hunt. Gotta be there calling every day. Just never know when the cat will be passing through. View attachment 171062 View attachment 171063
We like to watch them as they pass through our yard. Get about one per week on the trail cameras, this cam is about 75 yards from my bedroom where I am writing this. The one by the truck is the other end of the house, about 70 feet away. We do not shoot them because they make good barn cats. I have posted some of these before.

Wife and I snuck up on one on a windy day and got about 10 feet from him, I was concerned to get closer, so I just said here kitty. kitty. He just about turned inside out. Pretty lucky for 2 people to sneak that close to one. Another time my wife was drinking coffee early one morning just sitting in a park bench behind the house, near the creek 30 yards from the house, and a bobcat walked within about 6-7 feet of her. Like any kind of hunting it is almost a spiritual experience to get that close to them. Most people are just too noisy to sneak up on them or have them get close, so often they are there just no one sees them. None of our neighbors can recall ever seeing a bobcat, yet they are here all the time. They are city people who moved out here. They do not see what we see.

We see them pretty often during the day, but they are gone before we can get the cell camera up and out for picture. They do not hang around. I have shot them when I was younger but probably will never shoot another one, certainly not one at my house, they are too fun to watch. Coyotes are different, if they come into the yard and I can shoot without endangering the neighbors, they are gone.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, unless global warming speeds up in the next week, my cat hunt is over. At 68, I’m coming to the realization that hiking a mile or more in to the north woods, carrying my gear and trudging through a foot and a half snow is becoming a bit much!! Especially when I have to hike back out!
To top that, got my pickup stuck in a drift while getting in to the field. Took 45 minutes of jockeying around, digging it out to finally get it moving towards the road. Kept my foot on the gas, not wanting to stop the forward momentum until I hit the plowed road. I hit the road sideways, slid across it and put two wheels in to the snow filled ditch on the other side. Arrrgghhhh!
My buddies son was heading to work, saw me and we used my tow strap to get all four wheel back on the gravel. I called it a day at 8am yesterday, drove back to home, put on dry clothes and took Deb to breakfast.
Hunting bobcats is so much less strenuous in south Texas. Think I’ll just concentrate there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts