close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cataract Surgery

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dale, Jul 10, 2002.

1. I don't know if I've ever eluded to the fact I 'had' a cataract on my right (strong shooting) eye or not but, this morning I had surgery to remove it.

I wanted to share my experience with others who may now, or may eventually, experience cataracts and will face that decision of either living with it or getting the problem corrected.

First, let me say I am NOT writing this for any empathy or sympathy.....especially, as you will see, none is needed. Besides I'm not that type to seek it.

I put off my surgery until I finally realized that the cataract was lessening my quality of life in that I could no longer do what I enjoyed...things like fine leather work, shooting, reading, etc.

Well, anyway I showed up at the eye mechanic shop at 6AM and was out the door at around 8:30AM.

I won't go into all the details other than to say they literally numbed the entire right side of my head using only a series of drops (an interesting concept I think Dentists might wanna look at, lol). Because of this topical anethesia you are totally awake and understanding of most everything around you during the operation.

They make a tiny slit where the cornea meets the eye and with a tinier tool they break up the cataracted lens and suck that darn thing right outta there.

Then they insert an artificial lens (strength determined previously using a special laser assisted measuring computer) and put a guaze patch and a metal guard over your eye and that's it.

It took longer for the prep than it did the operation.

Then it's about a ten-fifteen minute recovery period where they montior your BP, pulse rate....ask you questions making sure you are making sense (quite a trick for me normally, but today I wasn't sure) and cover some do's and don'ts for the next day or so.

I have never considered myself a whimp or a chronic complainer but there is something about pain I don't like. But, I'm here to tell you, even 12 hours later, the procedure and aftermath is completely PAINLESS!

I get to take the patch off in the morning and I'm anxious too see if there is a difference in my right eye sight yet (might take a day or two to see some, though).

I go to the Doctor tomarrow for a safety check-up and that should be it (besides drops in my eye for some days),

I am looking forward to a life with much lower strength (if any) glasses and being able to see the sights and targets when I shoot, the ability to see fine detail in my leather work and etc.

Gentlemen, I just want to say that, although messing with someone's sight with surgery is scary I wish I had done this much earlier.

So, if you, or anyone you know, contemplates cataract surgery you can rattle the info marbles around in your head and reassure yourself or them remembering Dale said, "Ain't nothing to it dude!"

2. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I had one removed in 1985 by a Navy dr...back then was 2 day hospital stay...1 month light duty (I was active duty).....this was a long time ago so was done under full anastisa and rember getting shots in my eye to imobilize it.... Sounds like they have made some major improvements in the surgery.

3. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Dale,good for you. Hope everything works well. I've been considering getting a brain transplant.

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Good news, Dale. My father had the new Laser eye surgery a couple years ago, when his eyes got to the point that his glasses prescription was changing every few months. He said afterward, it is like having "new eyes".

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Good for you Dale, me, I'm a wimp when it comes to my eyes, don't even like putting in eyedrops! I wear glasses right now and someday i'll get up the courage for laser correction.

6. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Glad to hear it, Dale. I've heard very positive results from others who have had the same surgery.