Catfish bait

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by H&R12G, Aug 29, 2010.

1. H&R12G

H&R12G G&G Newbie

What is your favorite thing to use for catfish bait? Natural, homemade, or store-bought bait. What do you guys think works best?

2. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

Rotten Chicken Livers or Hot Dogs but I prefer the chicken livers

3. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I know there's a wide variety of catfish baits. However I'm a little lazy and believe in "KISS"(Keep It Simple Stupid) Ha.

So...I use night crawlers, others use stink baits from a variety of sources...and others probably have their favorite secret catfish baits.

4. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

chicken livers or Danny King's punch bait.

5. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

On trotlines I like gold fish or shad. Livers, gizzards, shrimp, minnows, nitecrawlers, on a rod and reel.

6. H&R12G

H&R12G G&G Newbie

Last time I checked using goldfish in Indiana is Illegal. So is jug fishing, whatever that is.

7. H&R12G

H&R12G G&G Newbie

I personally like the Chicken liver myself. Especially when in every couple of containers you get a chicken heart. I use hotdogs when I'm broke as a joke. At only 88 cents a pack you can't beat that, but when I have the money I use livers. I have a recipe for a homemade bait but I've never tried it.

8. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

H&R12G

Jug fishing is when you take an empty 2 Liter soda bottle and tie a line and hook on it and flop it in the water, the fish bites the bait and fights with the soda bottle until it is exhausted then you just pull him up out of the water. it is best done in a boat case you never know where the bottle is gonna go!

9. Well,

in Texas we have had unexpected success with hot dogs (all beef).

10. H&R12G

H&R12G G&G Newbie

I figured it was something like that. It doesn't seem very fun though. You dont fight the fish the bottle does.

11. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I use 10 yr old cheese bait...smells like Satan's bunghole but they like it...:eek:

12. roverboy

roverboy G&G Enthusiast

A friend told me about a bait recipe. He used 1 lb. ground beef and mixed in a pk. of limburger cheese. Then let the stuff get rank in the sun. WHEW! I never used it because I was afraid I'd puke.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  13. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

According to this link it looks like live goldfish are legal bait and jugfishing is legal also in Indiana.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-2010FG.pdf

14. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

really anything is good for catfish, they are scavengers and will eat almost anything...

15. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

CHICKEN/TURKEY livers, mullet guts, bacon fat.

16. rohnzzz

rohnzzz G&G Newbie

Processed Foods:

Hot dogs are a very good bait for catfish at Clear Lake.
    Another good catfish bait is cheese, just about any kind of cheese but orange cheeses like cheddar or american work particularly well.

17. cb671

cb671 G&G Evangelist

Guam
    Friend's here have used "Spam" and biggest was about a 8lb catfish ... we don't have big ones here.

18. Catfish bait.

Right now they are tearing up night crawlers where I am. Cheese is second.

19. Link23

Link23 G&G Newbie

i take a package of CHERRY Kool-Aid just the red stuff no sugar, add about half a cup and then soak my chicken livers in the Kool-Aid over night, take some old cheese cloth or panty hose and rap a piece of liver in there tie it with a twist tie, and then hook it, i get them every time and your bait dont fall off