close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Catron county

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 7mmag6, Aug 3, 2002.

1. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

I thought i would post this here for the whole board to see, from an earlier post (think about this) from chris. i said catron county passed an act for all citizens over 21 to carry a loaded firearm, here is the history. The new Mexico fish and game service saw fit to release the almost extinct mexican gray wolf into the habitat of catron county, now catron county is in the southwest corner of the state, the ancestral home of the mexican grey wolf, most of catron is very rural, when i say rural,everyone knows each other, it is also very large , bigger than a lot of eastern states. Most everyone there are ranchers, and it is also very barren, high desert chapparal, so livestock need a large area for feed, all the ranchers were against this introduction as they believe the wolf would prey upon thier livestock. killing an endangered speceis is a crime under federal law, hence the everyone carry a gun law in protest. Most of these ranchers have big spreads and probably wont see the extreme portions of thier land for months, they live on the ecomomic edge in cattle raising because of the barren soil. So that is the history of the catron county law. So what do you think people re-indrotuction of almost extinct species, for bio diversity at the cost of ranching, in a place no one has heard of? now its more complicated, the feds will recompense the rancher for every steer killed by the wolf, or sheep, however coyotes are everywhere here, many losses of livestock are by coyotes, the fish and game say the wolves will drive out the coyotes, and take a lesser kill of livestock, the ranchers say the wolf was made extinct because of preying on livestock, however the coyote population has exploded 5 times pre-existing wolf population. The ranchers say they would rather deal with coyotes than wolves. whew that was long winded

2. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I'm against this kind of federal expense.

My thinking is that the ranchers who are grubbing out an existance in that barren environment should make the determination on their own.

The fed government is meddling in a matter which should be decided by those living there and paying taxes.

We're even paying for the rangers to oversee this reintroduction of the wolf. This is just another example of somebody's pet project which costs all taxpayers.

Oxford

3. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

Its not that simple oxford, the coyote population has exploded in New Mexico, i live in a not to rural place, White rock, a bedroom community for Los alamos and the national lab, coyotes are everywhere, last night i counted 14 on school property behind my house, they are opportunists, you can kill them all day and still get more, thier natural enemy the wolf is extinguished, its not that simple, i dont have an answer, you can poisen them, hunt them and thier numbers keep getting bigger, I have shot so many coyotes i lost count, the game and fish have killed thousands, its not an easy answer, the coyote is one smart dog

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    coyote=roach

5. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Almost everywhere in the country the coyote population has thrived,they adapt well to almost anything.

6. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Guess it's a catch 22 situation

Didn't mean to imply that there was a simple solution, 7mmmag. I know there's a down side to whatever solution is tried. I was of the opinion that ranchers were opposed to having wolves kill their stock. And I realize they were reimbursed some amount of cash for their losses.

Guess it's a catch 22 situation. Wolves kill stock which the rancher gets paid for and coyotes kill stock, too, which the rancher doesn't get paid for as far as I know. Am I right?

Where I'm originally from, the flinthills region of southeastern Kansas, there used to be lots of coyotes, too. A bounty was placed on them by the govt. which offered cash for every pair of coyote ears. It wasn't unusual to drive down country roads and see 10-15 coyote carcases hanging along fence posts. That might be an incentive in your area, too, if it isn't being done already.

Now they're a lot more sparse so coyote hunting is coordinated between a spotter in a plane and the hunter on the ground. Don't think the bounty is still offered, though. The biggest problem with coyotes around here is their den holes which sometime cause cattle to break their legs.