Caught a few channel cat last night

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by jerry, Aug 29, 2010.

1. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Fished the sportsmans club last night. They had a 2 man team catfish tourney. Things didn't work out for my partner so I entered as a one man show. Caught 4 fish weighing in at 9# counting the bucket (which was about 2#) caught between 6PM and 1115PM on Bowkers dip bait. Nice evening of fishing.

Attached Files:

2. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Jerry...Congratulations! Where there's one..there may be more.

Had to be fun reeling in those huge channel cats. I'm curious about the weight of your fish line. I use 6# because I'm almost always trying for crappie...but occasionally catch catfish and bass.

So I set my drag so the fish gets to fight quite a while and hopefully tires out before I bring it to the surface. Luckily so far my line has never broken from the fish weight...but definitely has at times from tree limbs and other stuff.

Did you fillet those fish?

3. woody1981

woody1981 Love Your Firearms! Forum Contributor

What are you eating with those channel cats, Jerry? Hush puppies, turnip greens, ??????

4. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Thanks, 12# test Stren or Trilene Ox. I have enough poles to be specialized to a certain extent. I have a couple of spinning outfits that get the 6#, but I know what you mean about that bonus fish. As you know, that lighter line will hold pretty decent.

I'm not sure yet woody. Iv'e had plenty of hushpuppies, but never made them, rest of the clan is not as keen on greens as I am. Will probably be served up with Baked beans, cole slaw, and rye bread with real butter.

5. I will never forget how those things BURB....first time I heard it I thought I was loosing it lol