Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion, what is the better auto round for a CCW. I am thinking a .45 may be too much recoil for such a small gun. On the other hand most shots with a CCW are very close so you want the most knock down power you can get.

Let me get to the point…

I have settled on a gun. I won’t tell you the model because I don’t want to start that thread again. If I go with the 9mm I get 2 extra shots(12) but sacrifice knock down power. The .40 and .45 both come with 10 round mags. If I don’t get a chance to shoot the .45 I will probably shoot for the middle. The .40…

If it helps I will be shooting Gold Dots no matter what I get. You can probably figure out the pistol by mag. capacity with the .45.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
In many years of shooting and observing I have come to the conclusion that if someone lets recoil bother them on the larger firearms they will also be bothered with the smaller ones.As to capacity,you can get .40,s and .45,s with 10rds and more,up to about 14rds I think. samuel.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I agree with the .40 S&W and .45 ACP but the ten round double stacked/staggerd mags y'all mentioned tends to come with the thicker frame and grip.

The single stacked mag handguns profile much better hugging your body contour better under your shirt or jacket much better.

A 30. caliber handgun would be the minimum caliber I would recommend but don't entirely discount the abilities of the 9MM or 9 X 18 Makarov. Though I certainly would not go with lighter handguns than that.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Depending on certain factors determines which one I carry at the time. If I am carrying All day, like on a trip to town, I carry a Makarov in .380 or 9x18.
For short carry periods, its the .45 auto . For Wilderness Trips I carry a .44 mag...In case of Bears.
Rich

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
IMHO, your best caliber is one that you feel comfortable and proficient using. Period. I CCW with .380, .45, .357, .38 special, and .22 depending upon my mood, where I am going, and how I will be clothed. I will take a hit with a .22 over a miss with a .45 any day.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you can hit your target with a .45 then use that.
If your a better shot with something else that's what you should be using.
If you want my personal preferance .357.
However I like more capacity than your average wheelgun.
When I did carry I had a kimber .45 and a S&W in .357 as a backup.
Not because I needed to, just 'cause I could.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not knowing your skills with a gun, the size of your hands, and your agility, here is what I politely recommend before jumping into a $500.00 gun.

Put a frame of your liking on a holster behind your back with grips pointing up, and drive your vehicle for a couple hours, work with it all day, and then see how your back feels.

You will then know if you like the weight, frame size, and the ability to get get it out of the holster safely.

We sell a lot of Sig Sauer P230's and we sell a lot of $299.00 Rock Islands 45's. If you can safely weild a firearm, take a step back, get your stance, make the judgement whether to shoot, or to hold,,,.....the gun isn't going to make a difference, because you have already made the decision to bring it out. Most armed confrontations are done within 12 feet anyway.

Whatever you can safely get out of the holster, and be familiar to if the gun has a safety, where it is, if you remember, is there one in the pipe, or do I have to rack.

Mostly you are going to carry "HOT", and I learned my lesson about cocked and locked by shooting a hole in the bedroom nightstand.

I carry concealled most of the daylight hours, I started out with a S&W 745, tried the S&W 4506, the Colt officers model, the glock 23 in a 40 cal. and the colt mustang 380....

Glocks are a "no think" gun that you don't have to make all the decisions with. Point, and pull the trigger. They aren't pretty, but the 40 cal will do the job on most any target. Less recoil, and just easy to handle.

I am not trying to be mean here, and please don't take offense

,,,,,,, but, if you are going for the fashion statement.... Don't pay attention to anything I just said....

Because everyday people come in looking for a practical CCW weapon in our store, and some buy for how the gun feels, and some want the flashyist gun they can get. PIMP GUNS we call them.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
tried the S&W 4506
That was my first ever gun purchase. It still sits next to the bed. Great gun for home defense. It is a little heavy and bulky for CCW and certainly not a good choice for competitive shooting like IDPA, so I found out.
Spurzmaker said:
They aren't pretty
Ah, sure they are. Gotta love them. Then again, I think that Mosins are gorgeous and many think they are fugly.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I got so use to the 4506's safety features that I accidently had a gun discharge one night with a Colt officers model. the 4506 is now in the New nightstand beside the bed. Fine functioning, accurate gun..

I have since given my girlfriend a glock because of its flawless rate, and it's a no thinker if she has to get it out. It is always loaded, and she doesn't have to worry about a safety. Just point, and pull the trigger. How much more simple for a woman can that be.

I seen her fumbling with the 38 I gave her a few years back, and decided that would be the best home defense for her. She still prefers the 38 at the range though. She has since moved out of Phoenix (scottsdale), and now lives with me full time.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Ah, sure they are. Gotta love them. Then again, I think that Mosins are gorgeous and many think they are fugly.

Yeah, but don't those person's names end in "Clinton", "Pelosi", and "Feynman"? *snicker*

I don't know how you could see a beautiful deep-red, glossy wood grain stock with a beefy bolt-action could be considered "fugly". Trust me, I like the tactical AR-15 look as much as any other guy (check out my CETME pictures in that forum), but there's just something sexy and 'quality' about the look and feel of wood grain.

Oh, and so as not to hijack, my opinion: I have gone to the range and shot .45ACP, .40S&W, 9x19mm, and .357mag; the first two out of 5+ different guns rented from the range. I've pretty much decided that the most punch for the best recoil/crack for me is the .40S&W. The .45ACP is too loud and has just a bit too much recoil such that I anticipate the shots; not good. The .357mag was shot out of a 2" snubby revolver, so my wrist hurt for a week and the crack did the same for anticipation; probably a lot better in a longer barrel *shrug*. The 9x19mm was out of a ruger p89 and it was okay, but I like the size of the .40S&W better.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
How did we go from a CCW handgun subject to rifle responses? LOL

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Talking about how some people think Glocks are ugly. Then comparing that to the same way that some find Mosins ugly, but I think that they both are gorgeous.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm coming late to the party, but the largest caliber I usually carry is 9mm. I alternate between 3 carry guns: two are 9mm and one is .380 auto. I have a RIA 1911 but don't usually carry it. I do have a CC holster for it, though, and I might carry it if I thought I were going into a dangerous situation or area...

I don't like leaving any firearms out of the gun safe when I am not at home, so I usually use whatever I am carrying that day as my 'home defense' weapon on the night stand, rather than bothering to open up the gun safe and swap out the carry weapon for the .45 or the .357.

Jay1958

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I'd go with the big .45, its a personal favorite of mine, big bullet, moderate recoil, and will slam the crap out of a perp

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
One issue is which round the gun was designed for. I've seen some guns chambered for all three rounds have problems feeding rounds that are larger than the round they were designed for. Also some uppings in cartridge result in a painfully stiff slide.

I don't know which gun you are planning to buy that has been discussed before, but there would be my thoughts.
If it's a Spring XD, which was designed for a 40, I'd stick with a 40 or 9mm mainly due to slide stiffness.
If it's a 1911, which was designed for 45, I'd feel great sticking with the original round and mags.
If it's a Taurus 24/7, I'd be inclined towards 40 or 9mm, due to feeding issues (which I've observed)
If it's a Browning Hi Power, I'd stick with 9mm, no larger, due to slide stiffness.
If it's an HK USP, I'd be comfortable with all three rounds.
If it's a Glock, I'd stick to 9mm unless you were buying a current generation and planned to stick to a narrow range of current production ammo.
If it's a Beretta, I have no clue at all.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I just purchased a G23 in .40, wanted the 27 but they stopped carrying that model and my patience elluded me. I could have went with the 36 in .45, but balked on it for no real reason other than I wanted a .40.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sig 239 in 40 is my primary 3 season gun. And accurate enuf that i shoot some of the IDPA matches with it. Winter bring my colt defender out w/ 230 gr FMJ. J frames are back up for all seasons. Kel-Teks go well to the theater or walk the dog.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts