Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
][][][%
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wave: Whats the best way to carry?
How do you carry?
I like the idea of iwb,seems the best hide.
Afraid belt holster would be easy to be made.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tough questions. How do I carry? In the wintertime, a good, high riding DeSantis belt scabard holster on my (strongside) right hip, under a jacket or sports coat. In the summer, it's so hot where I live I'm still searching for the right answer. Use a fanny pack when I can, but feel sort of strange in a restaurant or a shopping mall that way. About to get and try the "PagerPal", which rides inside the pants on the weak side, hanging from the belt. You hold your belt out with your strong hand, pull the holster up with your weak hand, then draw the gun. The dummy pager attaches to the clip on the holster that hangs from your belt. You can substitute your own pager, cell phone, etc, in place of the dummy pager. It's a quality leather holster, with the gun to the inside, to break any imprinting. I've seen one used, haven't tried one yet. I would have to give up the Wrangler Original Cowboy Cut jeans I've worn for so long, as they don't leave enough free space. Should work with relaxed fit jeans, or Dockers type stuff. Can be worn with shorts, again in the Dockers styles. Check out their Web Page (PagerPal.com, I think). By the way, the gun I carry is a Glock 23, usually described as a compact, but thats only if you compare it with a .45 or something.
I'm too skinny for an IWB. Sticks out like a sore thumb. Tried one, a high quality one, and lost a lot of money on it. Oh well, learning usually costs something.
As to what you should do, too many factors to say. How big a gun? How big are you? What's the weather like in the summertime in Eastern Mo? What are you doing when you want to be carrying? What sort of clothes do you wear to do it? I'm sure there are more questions, that's the ones that occur to me.
I don't know if this helped you or not, hope so. Good luck!
eljay

·
][][][%
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply eljay,
First of all its hot up here,especially this year with the draught,very humid when not dry, can get very cold in winter.
Just got my CCW card and bought a Bersa 380,I know its the minimum in some eyes and a nono in others, but its small like a PPK,and some carry those in .32. In winter I want to carry my 1911, both on strong side. At moment using a Latino String. Ordered a uncle mikes Kydex ibw, sounds like it might work,but who knows? I looked at IBW from Nevada Leather and it looks good, will try that if UM doesnt do trick. A while back got a Fobus adjustable paddle style for the 1911,will see how that feels in winter.
I work at a university so CCW is a nono at work. Dont want to leave it in truck untill I get an alarm. So its just while shopping or messing with horses.
I weigh 200 lbs and bought a couple of Hawaian shirts to start with at summer, but they are subdued colors so as not to attract attention.
Or wear large t-shirt outside pants,hides the 380 pretty good tucked inside waistband.
Well thanks again your info did help, I'll look at the pager one you suggested.
Tony

·
Registered
58 Posts
maybe...

ALR,

I posted my results with PagerPal (negative) on that thread today, you might want to look. I'm back to my DeSantis belt paddle holster for the moment. This may sound crazy, but as many times as I've stuck my Glock under my belt and gone someplace, I'm going to try the clip that attaches directly to the gun, providing a more secure way of doing that. Check it out at clipdraw.com. I've located three places - strong side, weak side, small of back - where my Glock 23 sits pretty well. Maybe...
eljay

·
Registered
118 Posts
I use a shoulder holster sometimes if I know I will have a jacket or suit on all day long. Especially if I am carrying a revolver. Otherwise, if in just a shirt & jeans, I carry a Makarov in a Thunderwear holster. It work great unless I'm riding horse/muleback.
Other times it's only a derringer (38 spec.) in my back jeans pocket with a leather pad cut to fit my jeans pocket. The leather pad hides the "pocket print" of the little gun.

·
][][][%
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Hud, I ve often thought of the Thunderwear, in fact thats what my CCW instructer was carrying when he taught the class. Later in the class he pulled out his S$W 500,(and all this time I thought he had a medical condition :hmmm: possibly might get picked out by a mugger if looks weak?)
Anyway large pistol hid good. He also demonstrated a full size 1911,,end of grip noticable if you looked for it.
Right now funds low. I ve got 2 friends that just got their MO CCWs and they havent even applied for a permit to buy one gun yet. They turned me on to the Bersa 380,but it'll be a 1911 for me in the winter IWB.
Do you wear in open when on horse/mule? Do you ever shoot off the horse/mule? I know some are not bothered by it but I think they may be deaf from previous shooting(horses), I wouldn't want to do that to my horse(read WIFE'S)
I dont have any experience shooting from a mount,I know they do it in cowboy shooting.
Anyway I can see the problem with thunderwear on a saddle, I wonder if an english saddle would present the same problem?
Thanks for the feedbag,err feedback..........Tony

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've carried a 9mm Ruger in it but it can be a little embarassing at times.
Depends on the jeans.

As far as open carry, it is allowed under Minnesota's carry law but it does
attract attention that I don't personally want. When riding I use a shoulder
holster or a high ride type pancakeholster with a thumb break strap over the
gun.

I've found that you can shoot from any horse or mule once! Seriously, mine are
trained to stand for gunfire at the end of their reins when I'm on the ground
but I normally don't shoot off of them. It is hard on their ears. Mounted Cowboy
Action Shooters use earplugs designed to fit the horses ears so as not to cause damage.

Mine do come to gunfire when out in the pasture as I always give them a treat or extra hay after they come up when I'm shooting or during a training class as my pistol range is right along side my pasture.

I don't think the type of saddle would make a difference. You just don't want to
get "willie" caught between a bouncing gun and bouncing saddle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I live just outside of New Orleans, so summer can present a problem with ccw.
After many tries and mucho pesos spent on holsters, I find nnothing better than
a Yaqui slide or belt slide for concealed carry. I use it with hawian shirts or slightly over sized t-shirts and shorts or jeans. The one secret is to buy the best gun belt that you can afford. The one you buy at sears is just not good enough. My Tangfolio
.45 is always well concealed in this manner and it is comfortable all day long.

VNVMC FOREVER Gumbo

·
][][][%
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hud, I ve heard about the earplugs for horses and it makes a lot of sense. I had just bought an 18 month old German Shepard Dog and we went to a re-enactment of reveloutionary battle and they fired a cannon about 25 yds away before we realised what they were doing,so didnt have chance to cover dog's ears. She didn't even flinch a bit or the next five firings either. We do know she is not deaf.
So I guess animals can be bombproofed to sounds in a way,as long as they dont think they are going to be eaten if they are a prey animal. By the way we found out she is an alpha b! tch and has never backed down from anybody or anything, but she does obey my wifes commands.
GUMBO1---- thanks for the heads up on the belt issue, I remember hearing that before and now it even makes more sense. I m going to check out that Yaqui slide.
...........Tony

·
Registered
58 Posts
New input

ALR,

Much to my own surprise, I just brought home a new concealed carry gun, and it's so much smaller (particularily thinner!) and lighter than my Glock, I'm going to give it a shot with the PagerPal. Who knows, might work. ;-) By the way, I've been sharing my home with German Shepherd Dogs for nearly forty years and, believe me, none of them ever backed down from anything or anybody. Don't think that makes yours unusual. Kind of getting off topic here, and you may have plenty of experience with them but if not, and would like, I would be glad to share some of the things I've learned about them with you. Not trying to butt in or anything and I try never to put my nose where it's not wanted but, if you'd like, PM me!
eljay

·
][][][%
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So whats your new carry gun ? Bersa, Walther....?

·
Registered
58 Posts
My new carry gun is a Kahr PM9. I was determined to not go below 9mm for defense, and that's what this one is. Six in the mag plus one, or seven in the supplied finger notch magazine. Understand, this gun is for carry when it's too hot where I live to wear enough clothes to hide my Glock 23. That's still my number one carry gun, and the new one is for the times when circumstances make it difficult to carry. But my gun guy that I bought it from said he'd bet it gets a lot of use. His normal carry gun is also a Glock 23, and he has one of these for the same reason I got mine. As they say, a small gun in the pocket trumps a big gun in the safe, every time. ;-)
Took this little hummer out this afternoon, between the time it had cooled off enough and dark, and put its first 84 rounds through it without a single problem. I think I like it.
eljay

·
Wonderment :)
34,705 Posts
"Murph"

ALR: Sir; I carried until recently a 638 either front, back pocket.
Recently I met a leather smith; he started showing me some of his stuff. It looked good but I wasn't interested.
Well now; as he got out of his chair I saw he was carrying a 638; eyes brightened up; Murph took it off and said try this. Yahoo. I went out to the truck with his gun, holster and Tried it out.
Much to my surprize; surprize surprize surprize
He made me one. for the 638 another for GP100 and one for a G17.
They work. Murph will be making me some more. My shooting partner had a couple made and is quite satisfied.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
high ride style on belt/ pants especialy when out and about walking crawling around etc if im going to be doing a lot of driving or in a public place I tend to wear a shoulder holster.I'm not sure if switching holster styles like that helps proficiency.It would probably be wiser to pick one holster style and stick with it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm a fan of kydex paddles all the way. They are durable, cheap, and easy to remove without stripping off your belt. A good leather paddle is just as good if not better...they just cost a bunch more. I'm also a fan of the desantis nemesis for iwb carry. It is designed as a pocket holster, but it works well for iwb. I hate the pocket clip things. A buddy had one on his kel tec .40: you can't reholster, you cant grip the gun well to draw, and with anything other than a HEAVY double action trigger, I dont trust an open trigger guard in my pants...I think it's just asking for an AD. I carry a glock 27 in the two holsters I talked about above, and I love both of them. They are easy to conceal, easy to draw from, and comfortable to wear.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have tried OWB and slides but keep coming back to IWB and use it in cross draw mode. It works best for me for drawing and concealment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts