CCW Debate

Discussion in 'CCW' started by FS00008, May 7, 2008.

1. FS00008

FS00008 Сергей Иванович Мосин. Forum Contributor

At my college campus. I heard the most stupid statement being said at a debate about CCW on campus this morning.

"Guns and weapons are dangerous because people can have accidents and I think that people who are carrying concealed might be mistaken for gunmen by the police."

The whole idea of CCW is to NOT draw attention to oneself and yet be able to protect onself.

Thank god for SCCC and I truly hope they succeed and can maybe begin to educate the ignorant in our world.

How do the esteemed members of G&G feel about CCW on campus by licensed individuals on college campuses? I personally am ALL for it due to the EXTREMELY poor record held by the university police in terms of response to anything, much less a shooter on campus. One case in point, there was an incident last year where a fella was shot outside a club within the "Gun-Free Zone" and the authorities did not respond for over an hour. The man died and there was another man who was severely wounded.

2. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

I feel as long as the person is licensed and qualifies for CCW, he/she should be allowed to do so LEGALLY at any location.

Of course, since I live and work in both of the 2 remaining states that don't have CCW, I'm a bit biased..:09:

3. FS00008

That's no good Paper. They ought to get with the program!

4. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

CCW holders should be allowed to carry unrestricted on campus (and elsewhere). Period.

The "accidents" and "bad guy will get the gun away from you" drivel spouted by antis is absolute and total bull****. CCW holders have an equal or better safety record with firearms than LEO's, and are extremely responsible. The benefits of CCW have always far outweighted the costs.

If it's not against your state's particuar criminal law, I'd carry on campus when able irregardless of their "policy"; of course, you have to assess the risks and see if this is worth doing in your situation.

Here's a link to some fact sheets on different topics about the benefits of CCW--you can scroll to the bottom and pick the particular topic.

NRA-ILA :: Fact Sheets

5. FS00008

If anyone on here is not yet a member of SCCC, I recommend you join ASAP. TXplt,
    Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.com

TXplt, the Georgia code states that it is unlawful as follows;

GEORGIA CODE
    Copyright 2007 by The State of Georgia
    All rights reserved.
    *** Current through the 2007 Regular Session ***
    TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
    CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
    ARTICLE 4. DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
    PART 3. CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS
    O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127.1 (2007)
    § 16-11-127.1. Carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, or on school property

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "School safety zone" means in, on, or within 1,000 feet of any real property owned by or leased to any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education and in, on, or within 1,000 feet of the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education.

(2) "Weapon" means and includes any pistol, revolver, or any weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind, or any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, any other knife having a blade of two or more inches, straight-edge razor, razor blade, spring stick, metal knucks, blackjack, any bat, club, or other bludgeon-type weapon, or any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain, or any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, or any weapon of like kind, and any stun gun or taser as defined in subsection (a) of Code Section 16-11-106. This paragraph excludes any of these instruments used for classroom work authorized by the teacher.

(b) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person to carry to or to possess or have under such person's control while within a school safety zone or at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25. Any person who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.00, by imprisonment for not less than two nor more than ten years, or both; provided, however, that upon conviction of a violation of this subsection involving a firearm as defined in paragraph (2) of subsection (a) of Code Section 16-11-131, or a dangerous weapon or machine gun as defined in Code Section 16-11-121, such person shall be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.00 or by imprisonment for a period of not less than five nor more than ten years, or both. A child who violates this subsection shall be subject to the provisions of Code Section 15-11-63.

(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:

(1) Baseball bats, hockey sticks, or other sports equipment possessed by competitors for legitimate athletic purposes;

(2) Participants in organized sport shooting events or firearm training courses;

(3) Persons participating in military training programs conducted by or on behalf of the armed forces of the United States or the Georgia Department of Defense;

(4) Persons participating in law enforcement training conducted by a police academy certified by the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council or by a law enforcement agency of the state or the United States or any political subdivision thereof;

(5) The following persons, when acting in the performance of their official duties or when en route to or from their official duties:

(A) A peace officer as defined by Code Section 35-8-2;

(B) A law enforcement officer of the United States government;

(C) A prosecuting attorney of this state or of the United States;

(D) An employee of the Georgia Department of Corrections or a correctional facility operated by a political subdivision of this state or the United States who is authorized by the head of such correctional agency or facility to carry a firearm;

(E) A person employed as a campus police officer or school security officer who is authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with Chapter 8 of Title 20; and

(F) Medical examiners, coroners, and their investigators who are employed by the state or any political subdivision thereof;

(6) A person who has been authorized in writing by a duly authorized official of the school to have in such person's possession or use as part of any activity being conducted at a school building, school property, or school function a weapon which would otherwise be prohibited by this Code section. Such authorization shall specify the weapon or weapons which have been authorized and the time period during which the authorization is valid;

(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or any weapon legally kept within a vehicle in transit through a designated school zone by any person other than a student;

(8) A weapon which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted on school property which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school;

(9) Persons employed in fulfilling defense contracts with the government of the United States or agencies thereof when possession of the weapon is necessary for manufacture, transport, installation, and testing under the requirements of such contract;

(10) Those employees of the State Board of Pardons and Paroles when specifically designated and authorized in writing by the members of the State Board of Pardons and Paroles to carry a weapon;

(11) The Attorney General and those members of his or her staff whom he or she specifically authorizes in writing to carry a weapon;

(12) Probation supervisors employed by and under the authority of the Department of Corrections pursuant to Article 2 of Chapter 8 of Title 42, known as the "State-wide Probation Act," when specifically designated and authorized in writing by the director of the Division of Probation;

(13) Public safety directors of municipal corporations;

(14) State and federal trial and appellate judges;

(15) United States attorneys and assistant United States attorneys;

(16) Clerks of the superior courts; or

(17) Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle.
    (d)(1) This Code section shall not prohibit any person who resides or works in a business or is in the ordinary course transacting lawful business or any person who is a visitor of such resident located within a school safety zone from carrying, possessing, or having under such person's control a weapon within a school safety zone; provided, however, it shall be unlawful for any such person to carry, possess, or have under such person's control while at a school building or school function or on school property, a school bus, or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25.

(2) Any person who violates this subsection shall be subject to the penalties specified in subsection (b) of this Code section.

(3) This subsection shall not be construed to waive or alter any legal requirement for possession of weapons or firearms otherwise required by law.

(e) It shall be no defense to a prosecution for a violation of this Code section that:

(1) School was or was not in session at the time of the offense;

(2) The real property was being used for other purposes besides school purposes at the time of the offense; or

(3) The offense took place on a school vehicle.

(f) In a prosecution under this Code section, a map produced or reproduced by any municipal or county agency or department for the purpose of depicting the location and boundaries of the area on or within 1,000 feet of the real property of a school board or a private or public elementary or secondary school that is used for school purposes or within 1,000 feet of any campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education, or a true copy of the map, shall, if certified as a true copy by the custodian of the record, be admissible and shall constitute prima-facie evidence of the location and boundaries of the area, if the governing body of the municipality or county has approved the map as an official record of the location and boundaries of the area. A map approved under this Code section may be revised from time to time by the governing body of the municipality or county. The original of every map approved or revised under this subsection or a true copy of such original map shall be filed with the municipality or county and shall be maintained as an official record of the municipality or county. This subsection shall not preclude the prosecution from introducing or relying upon any other evidence or testimony to establish any element of this offense. This subsection shall not preclude the use or admissibility of a map or diagram other than the one which has been approved by the municipality or county.

(g) A county school board may adopt regulations requiring the posting of signs designating the areas within 1,000 feet of school boards and private or public elementary and secondary schools as "Weapon-free and Violence-free School Safety Zones."

HISTORY: Code 1981, § 16-11-127.1, enacted by Ga. L. 1992, p. 1315, § 2; Ga. L. 1994, p. 543, § 1; Ga. L. 1994, p. 547, § 1; Ga. L. 1994, p. 1012, § 4; Ga. L. 1995, p. 10, § 16; Ga. L. 1999, p. 362, § 1; Ga. L. 2000, p. 20, § 6; Ga. L. 2000, p. 1630, § 4; Ga. L. 2003, p. 140, § 16.

I disagree wholeheartedly about the inclusion of Colleges etc.

Also, I don't know about anyone here, but at my "Secondary" (AKA High School) institution, it was common practice to have a .22 or shotgun in one's vehicle for varmint hunting and no one ever went crazy with them...

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  6. TXplt

Yeah....hopefully they'll get the law changed (they have the same thing here in TX and in FL--NOT in PA, however, where it's just primary and secondary schools). I think Rick Perry is trying to get that changed here so CCW holders can carry as unrestricted as possible. Guess you can't carry on campus, then.

These "gun free" shooting galleries are asinine. They have only resulted in innocent lives being lost due to preditors facing unarmed resistance. They know they can hurt folks with a lower chance of encountering armed resistance in these no gun zones.

It would be nice if we'd give up on failed policies.

Good luck, and hope y'all can get the law changed. We used to go out shooting as kids with .22's and the like when I was younger and we were all responsible and no one got hurt. In fact, we all turned out pretty **** good. All this drivel going on with whatever "free" zones is the classic responsibilty shift--blame the thing, not the person. I only hope in my lifetime I'll see it changed. It's time for folks to speak up--I can't fathom that there are that many stupid people here in America. Time to do away with the nonsense.

Take care :)

7. mym1a

mym1a Guest

I think most colleges are an institution with the primary goal of brain washing our young people! the degree and ones career is of no concern to the administration or the professors, maybe colleges need to be restructured and a whole bunch of commie professors need to retire, they have done enough damage ! to answer your question yes I do believe the campuses should be armed, but your not dealing with logic here,your dealing with emotion and feelings

8. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO

The worthless campus cops at UCCS had a similar statement about a month ago. Basically stating that accidents are going to happen and when someone sees the gun ti will create a threatening environment and students will fail out of school. Just more "Blood in the streets" drivel. You said it well; the CCW is concealed. By definition no one should ever see it. If someone does see it you have either failed to conceal you weapon or something has gone very wrong and everyone around you will be glad you were responsible enough to carry.

I personally am a believer in everyone who can, should, everywhere.

9. mym1a

mym1a Guest

well if there that un concerned about it don't cry when and if it happens!

After Jan 09 which guns are you going to surrender to big brother????????

10. FS00008

I just hope that it changes and soon. I'd certainly feel safer with people carrying besides just the Campus Rent-A-Cops (even though they're real cops, I still don't feel as if they know anything).

mym1a, I would agree, except I think the only goal of the schools is to jack up costs more and more in order to bankrupt students...

What are you talking about after Jan 09?

11. I believe alot of people who have no experience in using firearms will be uncomfortable being around them.This may be the biggest issue since some of these people are our representatives in high office.

12. FS00008

I've found that to hold quite true unfortunately.

13. I have been licensed since 1996 in Arkansas, I do not understand gun free zones. They tell the crooks where we cannot carry and that is where the problems are. If you carry your weapon properly, know one knows you have it anyway. I would rather be tried by 12 as carried by 6.
    Mike

14. On the first sentence Paper, I agree.

On the second, I'm in the same boat, but I only live in one of the last 2. lol Your not alone my friend...

15. FS00008

Jeez whiz... what's wrong with those states? Even the PRK (Kaliforniastan) has provision for CCW...

16. ander254

ander254 Guest

Im right next to you in SC. already a member of SCCC and wish I could carry at USC. it was up for debate a couple weeks ago here in SC and legislature shot it down (i believe).

17. FS00008

Did you have a similar experience in HS as myself? They didn't even bat an eye seeing hunting rifles, .22s, and shotguns locked up in gun racks (Despite the state law, it was just the rural nature of the county I suppose...). We never had an issue with any kids going crazy. Sure there were quite a few fights, but they were for the most part off campus and none of them involved weapons besides fists and were mainly over girls haha.

18. I'd like to see people who are not legally able to carry a gun, convicted felons, illegal aliens, the criminally insane, all tatooed with a star on the back of their right hand. Everyone else would be legal to carry wherever they feel like they want to.
    Makes sense to me.8)

19. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

I am going to have a boating accident and lose them all.:sad2: I will be depressed for several days but will get over it and hand a copy of the report to the ATF agent if and when he come a knoking.

20. TXplt

Ain't gonna happen here. We'll seceed first. Guess I can speak for all of TX on this issue :09: