Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies,
I am looking to purchase a gun for my wife and Im hoping you could provide me with some suggestions. We are both new to the world of handguns so any help you could provide would be great. She has only fired a glock 9mm and did well for a begginer, but I dont think it would be practical to fit into her purse. I like the idea of having her carry a revolver for the simplicity and at the same time, worry about it being shifted around, without a safety, in a large bag full of..whatever it is women carry in there. Im also looking to have is custom finished. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
Hey, just a guy, but thought I would chime in.

Glock with an EMPTY CHAMBER is safer than a a revolver, lighter, and higher capacity too. Glock makes a WIDE range of sizes and chamberings. 9mm is a good round for women. Not too much recoil, plenty of capacity.

I always tell everyone "You want the hardest hitting round you can fire accurately, rapidly, in the largest pistol you can comfortably conceal". That means you want something that will do the job quickly (stop an attacker [bigger rounds, and longer barrels are good for this]) and you want plenty of round behind it to be sure you do the job (smaller rounds and big pistols are good for this).

Check out the G19 and G26 here,
GLOCK "Safe Action Pistols"

I like Glock, but would ONLY carry one on the hip, or with the chamber empty, since there isn't a selectable safety.

Your wife may want to consider a larger purse. My wife carries a 4.5" barreled P90 everywhere in hers, and it's not a "big" purse, just average sized. P90 zips nicely into the center divider pouch.

After you have selected the caliber, and weapon, pay attention to ammo. 9mm FMJs have been known to allow attackers to continue to function for hours with multiple wounds. 9mm high quality defensive rounds however, have been consistently show to stop attackers before they can move 10 feet with just one shot.

MOST importantly, practice, practice, practice. Above all else is how well you use the pistol. The best annihilator weapon ever made is no good if the operator misses with all the shots, or fails to operate the weapon properly.

I find one of the BEST things for me, that's practically free, for familiarizing myself with a weapons function is CLEANING it. Take it apart, put it back together, do it again. If you KNOW the weapon inside and out, it gives you the confidence to use it effectively, you know what it will do, and it also gives you the knowledge to fix it if it fails to function.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
As she has only fired one type I would find a local gun store or range that would let you rent a few pistols and find a buddy or two that have something different to try and shoot several before deciding on one.

My personal choice is HK but they are pricier than other guns too. Something like a HK P30 would fit the bill nicely and has an external safety. But as I said they are more money.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
Oh, indeed. Try out different makes and brands. I would actually suggest Sprinfield over Glock as a "simple but safe" pistol as they ALSO have a grip safety, a lever on the grip which must be depressed by the palm, as an added 'no hassle' safety feature.

I'm a big safety kinda guy, and I like the 1911, with a grip safety and a manual thumb safety, but that's me, not everyone.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I am up there with barry on safety. Especially when you are talking about a gun that is going in a purse not a hip holster or something. I dont really suggest guns anymore causes too many fights...lol. Topics to avoid Religion, Politics, and Glock vs Springfield...lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive been trying to get her to go to our local range more often, the same way she has been trying to get me to go to the gym!! They actually had Springfield day last week but she couldnt make it. Ive only had a chance to work with a few guns, but I can tell already that they are not all the same.

I did like the grip safety on the XD. Im not usually a huge stickler for safety, and i dont let my kids play with guns, but you never know what could happen.

So I should go with the semi over a revolver? What about a .22? Or is that a waste of time and ammo when it comes to defense?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
When it comes to caliber choice that is all on the shooter. The normal consensus on caliber choice is five .22s to the face is better than 18 9mm that missed.

I always say similar to what barry already said and that is go as big as you possibly can while maintaining control of the weapon and concealibility. If that means a .22 then fine, if it is a full sized 1911 then thats fine too. As for the revolver vs semi auto question I'm not the one to answer as I have a biased opinion. I dont like revolvers except for old single action cowboy guns. So my pick is always going to be semi-auto and if it is my life on the line my semi-auto will be an HK.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
For self defense, a .22 is better than a stern look, but as a kinda big guy, I'd rather have a sharp knife than a 1" barrled .22. The nice 7" target models give you some range and accuracy, but they are HUGE!

History bares out that a .22 RARELY succeeds in stopping an attacker before he does something adverse. A PEFECTLY placed shot from a .22 will put someone down like cutting puppet strings, but be off by just an inch and the person shot will likely not know they have been shot until they see the blood, and even then they are likely to continue functioning without medical attention. A good .380 and up hollow point, off by an inch will still do enough damage to the vital structure to stop someone. 9mm quality hollow point and up through the lungs (which are big targets) will cause someone to stop functioning in just a couple of seconds.

For self defense, the .380 is the VERY smallest I ever recommend. the recoil is manageable for even small children, and the round will do the job, with one shot, about 60% of the time, and you've got 5-9 more shots just in case. 9mm or .38spl is my personal minimum as they tip over the 90% one shot stop mark, the 9mm can get up to about 93-95% one shot stop. My ol' .45 ACP tips over the 96% mark, probably closer to 99% with modern ammo, but it's a bit much for most women.

POINT BEING, the bigger the round, the more the energy, the less chance that the shootee gets to shoot back at the shootor.
As for Revolver-vs-Semi, it's a matter of preference, but for me it's semi-auto 9 times out of 10. They offer safeties and detachable magazines. More fire down range in a safer, slimmer package.

Chiappa makes a flat sided revolver though that is VERY slim, and the design makes it MUCH easier for a person to handle the heavier loads like .357.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Hello ladies,
I am looking to purchase a gun for my wife and Im hoping you could provide me with some suggestions. We are both new to the world of handguns so any help you could provide would be great. She has only fired a glock 9mm and did well for a begginer, but I dont think it would be practical to fit into her purse. I like the idea of having her carry a revolver for the simplicity and at the same time, worry about it being shifted around, without a safety, in a large bag full of..whatever it is women carry in there. Im also looking to have is custom finished. Any suggestions?
Whether or not you are purchasing it... take into consideration SHE should be the one shopping.
What feels great in your hand, may feel terrible in hers.

As far as revolver vs semi-auto, gender has little to do with it. All "new shooters" will benefit from the simplicity of "if it doesn't go bang, then pull the trigger again and it will". The trigger pull on revolvers is factory set pretty heavily. Any gun should be inside a holster, whether it's in a purse or not. The important function of it is keeping things from getting inside the trigger guard (keys, coins, pens). If that is the only possible way she can carry, than look into dedicated purse holsters designed for that purpose with a separate compartment with stiff walls surrounding it (so things don't poke through fabric making bulges that can get in the trigger guard).
Holster purses are getting more fashion conscious all the time.
I'd suggest looking around Cornered Cat for more info, but here's the segment on that: Cornered Cat - Should I Carry in my Purse?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
P.S. There is one thing in there ^ I disagree with.
This comment: "The lesson here is that if you carry in your purse, you absolutely must practice getting the gun out, so that you will be able to do it as efficiently as possible if you ever really need it."
My opinion is if you need it in a SHTF situation, don't worry about drawing.
Blow a hole through the purse.
You can always get another purse, but you can't get another "you".

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
I'll only say that fabric layers can prevent SOME hollowpoints from expanding. Shouldn't be an issue with great ammo.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whether or not you are purchasing it... take into consideration SHE should be the one shopping.
What feels great in your hand, may feel terrible in hers.

As far as revolver vs semi-auto, gender has little to do with it. All "new shooters" will benefit from the simplicity of "if it doesn't go bang, then pull the trigger again and it will". The trigger pull on revolvers is factory set pretty heavily. Any gun should be inside a holster, whether it's in a purse or not. The important function of it is keeping things from getting inside the trigger guard (keys, coins, pens). If that is the only possible way she can carry, than look into dedicated purse holsters designed for that purpose with a separate compartment with stiff walls surrounding it (so things don't poke through fabric making bulges that can get in the trigger guard).
Holster purses are getting more fashion conscious all the time.
I'd suggest looking around Cornered Cat for more info, but here's the segment on that: Cornered Cat - Should I Carry in my Purse?
Sorry Jetgirl, I didnt mean to sound like I was making a gender issue. I meant simple, as in point and click. I know that practice makes perfect and the more anyone spends with a weapon the more comfortable they will be. I meant to compare the time it would take to point and fire a revolver, versus removing safety and racking a glock. You do make a good point about holstering, inside of the purse tho. Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Would a smaller...uhhhh...errrr.....clutch (is that the word?) work? or a wallet inside of the purse, used only to hold the gun?

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
as long as the sides are stiff, the gun fits, and the clasp is strong (not so strong it can't be opened one handed, but not so weak that it comes open by accident [snap strap is best]), that's essentially the same thing as a retention holster.

That's actually a good idea, but probably limits the size of the gun.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats true, but she usually caries a small duffle bag like purse most days.

Thats why the revolver makes me so nervous. The point you made about an empty chamber was good. No matter what she puts in there theres no chance the slide will be pulled back. Ill just have to see what kind she prefers.

·
Old man, No tact...
12,364 Posts
no matterer what she puts in there there's no chance the slide will be pulled back.

Just hope she doesn't need to use the gun in self-defense, and have to rack the slide first, to chamber a round.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wife was looking for her answer for a CC.

We were at the range trying out my new BUG a Kel Tec P3AT.

She took it and fire a box of 50 rounds through it and looked at me and said "mine"

You will never know what will please another shooter.

Point is let her try different firearms and let her come to her own answer.

BTW, we both carry the Kel Tec P3AT with a add CT laser, for low light and inside buildings etc., me as a back up and her as primary.

If you can come together on the idea of being a team, and work on working together on defensive stragites life will get much better when it comes to firearms.

When I go to the range, my wife loads up and enjoys shooting as much or more than me, I think the reason is we are a team.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts