Gun and Game Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
Probably, but I have Century Tel Hi-speed Internet and it takes a week or two to stream and play a YouTube anything. One of the paries for living in a country atmosphere...the really good ISP's are too cheap to come out here.
I suffer from diabetic neuropathy...I don't really suffer...but I do have it. This sometimes (read: most of the time) prevents me from grasping small parts from the bench to re-install. If I drop the small part on the floor it's all over...especially if I drop it on my countrified carpet...poor eyesight too...lol.
Dang, gettin old sucks...well, not really sucks...just more of a challenge.

Sure beats the alternative!

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
I ain't complainin'; just explainin'.
Now where'd my glasses go?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
A lady came in today, not sure what she wanted to leave with, but CERTAIN that she didn't like the plastic 9mm "gift" that she was looking to sell (or use as a trade in).
I was open carrying (like I do lots of times at work) and after the guys were blah blah blahing at her, she turned to me and asked what I was carrying and why I chose it. I told her and showed her a few similar ones...
After a volley of questions and answers, I offered to let her shoot mine before she decided what she wanted to buy for herself. She took me up on it.
She's gonna get with me next week to meet up at a range half way between us.

·
Old man, No tact...
12,364 Posts
Nice work, JG

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Check out S and W model 642. Get one with a fully shrouded hammer. Comes with stainless barrel and cylinder. Very light weight, rated for plus P ammo and can get it with custom grips. Five (5) guaranteed shots,get the action slicked up by a competent smith and then carry extra ammo in strippers. Can't be beat and can only be fired when trigger is pulled-a good weapon and simple for your wife.

·
Old man, No tact...
12,364 Posts
Check out S and W model 642. Get one with a fully shrouded hammer. Comes with stainless barrel and cylinder. Very light weight, rated for plus P ammo and can get it with custom grips. Five (5) guaranteed shots,get the action slicked up by a competent smith and then carry extra ammo in strippers. Can't be beat and can only be fired when trigger is pulled-a good weapon and simple for your wife.
By the time she adds the grips, and the trigger job, she can have a larger handgun that won't produce nearly the recoil of the 642, and will likely be much more comfortable for her to shoot.

Just curious, sir, but why must his wife (or any female) have a "simple" gun? That's a very chauvinistic attitude. Of all the ladies I've taught in the last 30 years or so, relatively few have preferred a revolver, especially the 642.

uhhh, respectfully, but that firearm for lots of females, can easily be beat.

Just my two cents, of course..... :usa2:

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I keep a 637 in my vehicle. (First gun I ever bought, pushed on me by...a man). I'd get rid of it, except for the nostalgia that it IS the first one I ever bought (for whatever reason). It's the cousin(ish) to the "hammerless" 642... and even in SINGLE action, that sucker hurts after half a box or so of ammo. It is *not* a gun to take to the range for a day. Shooting it in DAO every-single-shot is also NO FUN - Whatsoever!
I don't take it plinking, I don't use it for leisurely fun shooting, I don't train with it or practice with it (there's a difference)... And that's where your proficiency comes from. If you get someone (man or woman) a gun that is UNpleasant to shoot, they will not practice with it nor gain any type of proficiency with it. Then what?

·
Old man, No tact...
12,364 Posts
I keep a 637 in my vehicle. (First gun I ever bought, pushed on me by...a man). I'd get rid of it, except for the nostalgia that it IS the first one I ever bought (for whatever reason). It's the cousin(ish) to the "hammerless" 642... and even in SINGLE action, that sucker hurts after half a box or so of ammo. It is *not* a gun to take to the range for a day. Shooting it in DAO every-single-shot is also NO FUN - Whatsoever!
I don't take it plinking, I don't use it for leisurely fun shooting, I don't train with it or practice with it (there's a difference)... And that's where your proficiency comes from. If you get someone (man or woman) a gun that is UNpleasant to shoot, they will not practice with it nor gain any type of proficiency with it. Then what?

...and your carry gun is ??????

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
...and your carry gun is ??????
As of late, a 4.25" 1911 (.45ACP). Occasionally switched off with the previous EDC(Every Day Carry), a 3" 1911 (also .45ACP).
If my 4" 1911 (also in .45ACP) cooperates and makes it 1k rounds without glitches, I'll rotate that one in as a carry option as well (for a couple reasons, not related to anything here in this thread).

·
Old man, No tact...
12,364 Posts
As of late, a 4.25" 1911 (.45ACP). Occasionally switched off with the previous EDC(Every Day Carry), a 3" 1911 (also .45ACP).
If my 4" 1911 (also in .45ACP) cooperates and makes it 1k rounds without glitches, I'll rotate that one in as a carry option as well (for a couple reasons, not related to anything here in this thread).
I was just curious to know if the 1911 was simple enough for you, or if proficiency had anything to do with it... after all... you know... a mag release, AND a thumb safety. :rolleyes:

Sorry, folks. I couldn't help it....

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I was just curious to know if the 1911 was simple enough for you, or if proficiency had anything to do with it... after all... you know... a mag release, AND a thumb safety. :rolleyes:

Sorry, folks. I couldn't help it....
Well... back in the day, I met up with a girl who took the offer to shoot mine to see if she wanted to purchase one for herself. Two NRA instructors happened to be at the same range and inserted themselves into the conversation (UNinvited) and basically told her and I (and her husband) that 1911s were too difficult for women and revolvers were "Idiot proof" so all women would be better off with them. I didn't doctor that conversation summary up... that is exactly what they said. Then they continued to converse with each other about how much they were in agreement with each other (regarding the "idiot-proof-ness" of revolvers as pertains to women).

Now, I was standing there ARMED. 1911 ON. MY. HIP. And they were standing there, in essence calling me stupid. (Did I mention I was ARMED?) Who was the stupid one? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
:) You're my kinda girl.

1911 is my first love, though ;)

I do think that revolvers are a good option for a beginner with no time to or no intention of practicing, but I want something with 10+ shots for my wife (and myself).

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
I've trained alot of women and not one needed a simple gun. For a beginner, start with a .22 and work up to .45...most will pick the .45 1911 as a gun of choice.
Even women with simple guns choose semi-autos over the revolver as a first choice carry gun.

Jet Girl, it's good that you maintained your composure. I hope you told them where they could get off the train. There are way too many arrogant asses who want to tell novices in the shooting circle what gun they need...too bad these morons were instructors...just think of how many unhappy shooters are on there past student list.

I've never criticized another shooter's gun but I have shown various desireable features of one gun over another to other shooters...as well as other operational and shooting techniques. To me, that's what training is all about...education.

·
Old man, No tact...
12,364 Posts
Education is the best treatment for ignorance....... stupid is another whole thing altogether :boggled: :buttkick:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Well thats kind of where its heading Jarhead. The ruger that she likes was well over 600, which isnt a lot, but more then i had planned on spending. The good thing is that she actually like the guns with pink slides and grips, so I may save a few bucks on her getting something girly.

Or maybe I should just get her that colt 1911 that I...I mean she had her eye on! lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·

Not bad, but I didnt mean simple in that manner. My wife has fired more then a few weapons with no help from me. I just liked the idea of her being able to act as quickly as possible. Turns out she is more comfortable with a semi, and thats fine with me.

I actually like the revolver for myself, but eehhhh maybe its an ego thing that I just was a semi.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts