Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all

can someone tell me what is a CCW and how can i get one in california ?

what are the requirements/fee?

thank you

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
CCW is a permit to carry a firearm concealed on your person or in your car. It is a felony in California to carry a loaded weapon in your car without a CCW. A CCW might be relatively easy to impossible to get based on the county in which you live. E.g., in LA county, there were a total of 7 CCWs given out in 2003 (or 2004 I forget) and you will only get one if you are a high-profile judge or someone important. Self-defense is not a strong enough reason anywhere in the state. Orange County recently had a change of policy due to a new sheriff who's pro-CCW (self-defense is still not sufficient reason). In most counties that do allow CCW, you will need to take a course, prove marksmanship and take a police psych test (from the police shrink) and expect to pay a fair bit of $$ at every step. You might get one in the interior more easily. Of course, it is legal to carry open & loaded in unincorporated areas but nowhere else. It is legal to carry unloaded anywhere but you will be arrested for brandishing (expect to be taken down with a bunch of cops pointing loaded guns at you) unless you are transporting it to/from a dealer or to the range. While in the car, all handguns need unloaded & to be secure locked (usually in the trunk) unless you possess a CCW. What did I miss ? :hmmm:

·
Registered
886 Posts
gunssb - I think you covered most of it. In the county I live in, it is next to impossible to get a CCW, but easier than LA County. An aquaintance of mine has one, for this county, and they must be renewed every year, at least in this county. Whatever you do, do not carry in San Francisco, or several other cities.

Another friend who lives further North, said he saw the Sheriff, an aquaintance, driving the other way, slowed down, stopped and opened his window. The Sheriff stopped and opened his window, and my friend asked, "Hey, I want a CCW, how do I get one?" The Sheriff said, "Come to my office in about an hour, and it will be ready. By the way, are you planning on going out of the county in the next hour? If not, go ahead and carry, now." California is not as bad as it seems, at least in places.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Gyrene said:
California is not as bad as it seems, at least in places.
yes, not all places are bad but the heavily populated ones seem to be. I believe in the less populated areas the LE is also more amiable and actually encourages carry.

And I'm sort of with norcal, especially with the minorities issue. How many black or hispanic people you know can carry - but of course they're all criminals aren't they ? :insane: :rolleyes:

BTW how many people know that Feinstein has a CCW ?

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Well if I recall Yolo county is right up there with trying to get a permit from Sacramento, Get a hold of the sheriff's department in Woodland and ask what thier requirments are to justify the permit -- good luck I remember davis was a very lib area and your going to have it tough justifing the need for a permit

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I don't know what Davis is like to get a CCW, but I have been trying here in Sacramento for about 5 years. I can't imagine that Davis would be any easier. Do you have a reason to carry? I have been told that I need to donate a large sum to the Sheriff's reelection campaign in order to get one.

·
Registered
389 Posts
"It is a felony in California to carry a loaded weapon in your car without a CCW" <- that is not true. It is a misdemeanor. There are actually a few charges you could get, none felonies. 12026 (i believe) is carrying a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle.
the next two are within 3 numbers of that one and are carrying a concealed weapon (without a permit) and in some counties there is a statute called "carrying a loaded handgun within city limits".

I have been charged with, and plead guilty to all three before and have ZERO felonies.
In fact, the misdemeanors were so minor, that they even let me pass the criminal background and moral terpitude checks the California state BAR put me through.

to obtain a ccw in SOUTHERN California, you need to allpy in either Ventura or San Bernardino counties if you are in the LA area. Do NOT attempt an application in LA county. First, the waiting list to even have your app checked is about 120,000 people.
Second, LA will not issue unless you regularly carry large amounts of cash AND have already been robbed, or similar circumstances.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I believe although that was once true, with AB491 effective January 2000, it allows for a much broader scope to pursue a felony charge for concealed carry of a handgun in a vehicle. I believe the gun needs to be registered in the California AFS (Automated Firearms System) database and there should be no ammunition readily accessible or in immediate possession (even if it not directly loaded). You should check the law to be certain and this is not legal advice.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'll give you the short version and a link to the entire code.

Cal Pen Code § 12031 (2004)
Felony or misdemeanor of carrying loaded firearm in public place or on public street.

(3) For purposes of this section, "lawful possession of the firearm" means that the person who has possession or custody of the firearm either lawfully acquired and lawfully owns the firearm or has the permission of the lawful owner or person who otherwise has apparent authority to possess or have custody of the firearm. A person who takes a firearm without the permission of the lawful owner or without the permission of a person who has lawful custody of the firearm does not have lawful possession of the firearm.

if you are the lawful posessor of the firearm, and you are not a felon, have never been convicted of a felony, and are not in process of committing a dangerous common law felony (burglary, arson, rape, robbery, mayhem, battery, assault, murder, manslaughter) you will be charged with a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed 1000.00 or a year in the county jail.

IF you are carrying it and are in a street gang, not the lawful posessor and participating in an enumerated felony etc, it is a felony, and you will probably catch a 3 year sentance.

Here's the whole section:
http://amadorcriminaldefense.com/pc12031.html

please note this is for california only.

here's the whole passage:
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12020.htm

it still is better to be legal though ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts