Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose everyone heard about the shootings in Kirkwood Missouri. My ultra liberal (KU Grad) younger sister was one of those that walked out of the meeting room without a scratch after the gunman killed 5 people and wounded 2 more.

STLtoday - News - St. Louis City / County

I talked to her on Friday and she was very shaken by the ordeal (as anyone would be). She was very ashamed of her actions as she felt she should have helped the city attorney who fended off the armed killer by throwing chairs at the man as he was being shot at, instead she laid flat on the floor and hoped the guy would run out of bullets. The attorney made it out alive but it could just as easily gone the other way.

Today she called me saying she's decided that she wants to get a CCW - (maybe she watched "The Brave One" over the weekend too...). She doesn't own a weapon of any kind and would like me to help her out.

What is the process to apply for CCW in Missouri?

Can I give her one of my handguns?

Does the handgun require a permit and if so does it have to be purchased in Missouri?

Does anyone know of a good CCW class in the St. Charles area of St Louis?

She's 38 and has no husband and none of her friends have a clue about about any of the above (she probably wouldn't want them to know she's carrying anyway). I'm lucky to know what's going on with Kansas CCW let alone how things are being handled across the border.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Thankfully she is okay... and saw the light on concealed carry after that harrowing experience.

I'd love to pass on information to help but I do not know Missouri laws... and would not want to give you bad advice. As far as "giving" your sister a gun... I think you can but would need to fill out some transfer paperwork at a local PD... I would think?

Are there any Missouri residents and/or FFL dealers that can lend some assistance?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My cousin got a CCW out of Ohio I think when he was 21 since I believe in Missouri you have to be 23 to have a CCW. He carries legally with that since it applies across state lines too. Being 38 though, your sister should have no problem getting a CCW. The best place to start anywhere for information is the local PD...

I grew up in St. Louis in Florissant and my cousins live in Kirkwood, that was very bad news, I am glad she made it out okay. At least now she sees the positive aspect of a CCW in the hands of a responsible person.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
CCWs worked out real well down here in the swamp!:drive:

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Dhermesc wrote:

What is the process to apply for CCW in Missouri?

Can I give her one of my handguns?

Does the handgun require a permit and if so does it have to be purchased in Missouri?

Does anyone know of a good CCW class in the St. Charles area of St Louis?
It's a straightforward process in Missouri. Since CCW's were legislated about three years ago in this state the waiting lines for classes have dwindled down. Classes can be found by going into most gunshops where individuals can sign up for future dates of classes. Classes I've seen advertised last all day on Saturdays. Instruction is given on rules of self defense, state laws on who/when/where one can carry legally, and much more.

Getting the CCW will occupy at least eight hours of instruction, written testing of the instruction, firearms training, and a final shooting exam. The guns qualified with should be the one the applicant plans to use as a carry weapon. Two different handguns are required to be used. Obviously they must be legal guns.

Most courses cost around $125+/- and the Fee charged by individual county sheriff's is around $100 after a thorough background check is completed satisfactorily and passed for the applicant.

Good luck and have fun,

Ox

1 - 6 of 6 Posts