close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Center Point scopes..... any experience?

Discussion in 'Optics' started by Big Dog, May 22, 2013.

1. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I was shopping locally for a good scope to use for my new .223 bolt rifle, looking at doing some varmint/hog hunting this year.
    Got the Center Point 4-16X40AO at my local Wally's. Looks pretty good, clear view, mildot reticle, and red/green illuination. Flip-up caps. Pretty solid high see-thru rings. Seems to have some good features for an $80 scope. With the .223Rem, recoil won't be an issue.
    Anybody with experience in these scopes? I do have a back-up in case it fails - my good old Simmons 4.5-14X40AO ATV which has been on several rifles and always been very good.
    I know the C-P is made in China - try finding a decent priced scope that isn't.....

2. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

I have CP scopes on three of my rifles and have not had any issue with any of them. For a decent priced scope they seem to be well built and rugged. They may be low-end scopes but for the money they work well.

3. roggom

roggom G&G Enthusiast

If it does what you want then its all good. I personally limit my budget scopes with the Redfield revolution line or Vortex viper. I have been let down to many times with cheap Chinese scopes and usually when its hot as hades outside and I am a few hours from home.

I have, however been very surprised with the little 2x20 NC star I have, that little bugger wont die, but then again its an LER scope, so not trying to see prairie rats 500y away.

Either way Walmart has an excellent return policy if you decide to bump up to a Prostaff or a Banner.

4. Big Dog

I already have three 4-12X40AO Banners - good scopes but I wanted a bit longer magnification, and couldn't find them locally.

5. ADGP

ADGP G&G Regular

Center Point is okay. I have a friend who has one and he seems to like it. He had it on an AR 10 at one time, but sold the rifle, and put the scope on a .22.

6. Big Dog

The Center Point 4-16X40AO on the Remington Model Seven in .223Rem did well, in our 'range session' Sunday at the hunting lease. We shot from a table and rest. Got it on paper and ballparked pretty quickly at 25 yards, then pushed out to 100 yards. It shows potential, giving me a couple good groups, and a few not so good. But we had variable wind, gusting into our face at times. My best group was a bit under an inch, but my buddy actually pulled off a measured 3/8" three shot group! I was totally amazed - this is with a factory 22" slim barrel. We did have to let it cool between groups. That slender tube heats up fast!
    I was using my handloaded 55 grain Sierra SP with H4895 in a once-fired commercial case. This rifle so far seems to prefer 55 grain.
    I have the same scope on my Winchester M70 in .270WSM - hope to get it sighted in next weekend. That will show if the scope handles recoil well!

7. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Enthusiast

Bought the same scope from WalMart not that long after they first began to sell it. Was on way home from a gunshow where I'd purchased a sporterized surplus military rifle that needed a scope and remembered seeing the Center Point and its price.

Still have the scope and its been on maybe 7 or so rifles over the years. All were centerfire rifles with 30-06 being the hardest recoiling one. Scope has held zero and I've no complaints about its adjustments for windage and etc.. It is on the heavy side. However, I never have liked its optics. Why? I just shoot paper and of all my scopes.....maybe 25 plus, it has the darkest lens picture.....also, for me it was critical to really center my eye in the rear lens to sight thru it. Have a fair number of inexpensive scopes with optics I consider better.

So, when I acquire another rifle that needs a scope, good chance the center Point will go on it while I take my time shopping for another scope, looking for a bargain.

Bottom line, for an inexpensive scope, its decent and should last.

8. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist

i had one on a Mosin and it did hold up to the recoil but I think I put a rim fire on it. my brother has I think the exact one you mentioned on his 25-06 and has never had a problem at all. he has drug it from PA to TN and back and never had to adjust ZERO.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted