close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Certificate warning

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by M14man, Nov 12, 2016.

1. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Every notification email I now get in the last 2 days about a thread I have posted in comes with a certificate warning. This never happened before and I get the warning from EVERY G&G notice.
    Anybody else? Quite annoying although you just click to ignore...
    I have changed no settings here.

2. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I had to log back in yesterday evening even though I told the site long ago to keep me logged in, period. It might have something to do with the fact I changed my primary browser to Google Chrome from Safari, however. I can't get into online banking from Chrome, for instance, which is a nuisance even though all I ever do re: online banking is check bank balances.

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Not getting this now, but during the "meltdown" G&G had awhile back, I got the certificate warning. Hope that barstage hacker isn't attacking us again.

rando likes this.
  4. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    Lately, I've been getting security warnings often - some browsers refuse to connect due to security concern. Something is amiss.

5. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

It's the Russians !

6. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

I liked the notifications.
    But I am NOT getting the email notifications anymore. They stopped around Christmas time. But today I am getting huge bp and other ads.

7. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I was having the certificate warnings both times. The second time was a few weeks ago and could not connect at all after a few hours. Tried to fix and no luck. That laptop still will not connect. I had to buy a new one Christmas eve. I still have to get the other repaired. Please don't let that happen again.

8. Txwheels

Txwheels G&G Evangelist

This what I was saying right after Christmas. All the warnings were about security and for 2 days I couldn't get either one of our computers or our Ipad with any of the 5 browsers we have to log into G&G!

9. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

I haven't had any kind of certificate warnings or any other pop ups on my Android phone, however I did get a certificate warning on my new computer tower. I'm running Mozilla Firefox browser so it gives you a few choices. If you choose Continue Anyway, then choose Add Exception and hit OK, you can continue on without any other certificate warnings from that website

10. M14man

Not getting the notices that forums I posted in have no content.
    Stopped awhile ago.

11. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    I keep getting security notices and warnings that this site is not safe; and from more than one browser. This is new since the Crash of '16.

Is admin sure this site is secured?

12. Txwheels

Txwheels G&G Evangelist

Good question. I get them periodically too on 2 of my 3 browsers.

Rocky7 likes this.
  13. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Last week I received a few warnings.
    But this week it is good to go.
    Also wanted to say,
    THANKS, for bringing back the email notices! :)

14. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Yep I am.

Big Dog, Rocky7, Jay and 1 other person like this.
  15. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    Only one of my browsers will now connect to this site.

16. M14man

No more problems here

17. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Sounds odd...no issue at the server or cert level.

18. try Opera browser. I switched form IE/Firefox/Chrome to Opera, have literally 0 problems with anything whereas my other browsers I'd have to switch between to access things and not encounter bugs.

Also, I wonder if this is a way some companies censor websites they don't like? Verizon got busted some years back for not letting all text messages go through if it contained anything they deemed objectionable. After some instances between my texts and some from friends in the army, I suspect I was a victim of their forced censorship, but I can't prove it. All I know is a lot of txts I should have received, I didn't, and vice/versa.

19. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

I also moved over to the Opera browser from Firefox on my LG smartphone. That's what I primarily use for my internet unless I turn my wifi hotspot on and connect with my laptop or my desktop. I haven't switched either one of my computer towers or my laptop over to Opera yet, however I did download and install the DuckDuckGo add-on to Firefox making it my primary search engine and bypassing the Yahoo / Google nonsense.

On another note I went to duckduckgo and did a quick search, then I opened a new tab and went to Google + did the same search that I did on DuckDuckGo to compare the search results and surprisingly the search results are different from one page to another. I had always heard that DuckDuckGo used Google for their search results but without all the nonsense that goes with it, to some extent this apparently isn't so.

As far as certificate warnings go, I haven't gotten any in quite some time now but for some reason I never have gotten any email notifications but for some reason I finally started getting them a few weeks ago and I did have to log back in again for no apparent Rhyme or Reason after just being on the board a few minutes before that last week. Other than that I haven't had any trouble from the server..

Rocky7 likes this.
  20. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    I have been using Opera for some time. It will not connect to this site. Same goes for Safari. I get certificate warnings and they refuse to connect.

Firefox usually connects, but sometimes not and I might get this (like tonight):

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Apache Server at www.gunandgame.com Port 80

FWIW, I belong to a few other gun forums have none of theses issues with those sites.